Gransnet forums

Food

Halogen cookers,anyone tried one.

(15 Posts)
wetflannel Tue 04-Oct-22 16:18:46

I have been researching halogen cookers as they apparently are 75% cheaper than using your oven. Anybody got one? tried one and what do you think. Worth the money or not. I believe you can cook anything in them including a full roast dinner and cakes/ puddings.

midgey Tue 04-Oct-22 16:40:12

Have you thought of an air fryer? You can do all those things in one.

Annapops Tue 04-Oct-22 16:43:58

I have been using one for a while. I bought it mainly for making GC their tea. I find it useful for chicken nuggets, fish fingers, sausages as it heats up instantly unlike my oven. I must admit I haven't been very adventurous although I have made very successful yorkshire puddings in it. Between the halogen, my slow cooker, microwave and a very small air fryer I'm hardly using my fan oven at all.

wetflannel Tue 04-Oct-22 16:45:08

I had one midget but a was far too big on my worktop and storage is tight in our little kitchen. Halogens don't seem as bulky.

wetflannel Tue 04-Oct-22 16:46:55

A small airfryer might be ok, the previous one was far too big. But am really interested about the halogen.

Squiffy Tue 04-Oct-22 17:38:22

I used my halogen oven all the time. You can cook anything in it that you’d put in a conventional oven. I only stopped because our gas cooker has a top oven, also gas.

Gardenersdelight Tue 04-Oct-22 17:39:34

I love my halogen oven cook most things in as only two of us
Has a metal extender ring so can cook bigger items too
Barely use my oven as like @annapops have a microwave, slow cooker also contact grill and electricity pressure cooker

henetha Tue 04-Oct-22 18:22:51

I've had a halogen pot for about 5 years now and it's great. They are idea for just one or two people.
I've never tried cakes or puddings in it though as I rarely eat those .
It's brilliant for meat or fish. Also chips or roast potatoes. You can cook from frozen, like fish cakes or similar. Even cheese on toast is easy.

lemsip Tue 04-Oct-22 18:41:14

only thing I didn't like about my halogen cooker was it being out on worktop all the time. to big to tuck in cupboard

Elegran Tue 04-Oct-22 18:52:36

wetflannel You may like a recent thread about air-fryers, where halogen ovens were also dicussed. www.gransnet.com/forums/food/1315655-Another-success-for-the-Airfryer

Curtaintwitcher Tue 04-Oct-22 19:32:25

I use mine all the time, it's ideal for small portions. The only down side is the bright light, which is dazzling.

avitorl Tue 04-Oct-22 23:11:43

I use mine every day.It's brilliant but I don't bake cakes any more so I can't comment on how it would be for that.

Franbern Thu 06-Oct-22 14:59:15

Used Halogen ovens previously for several years. If you do get one, ensure it has a HINGED lid - not lid you take off. Two main problems with them (for me), Size - amount of room they take up on worktop (I now use a small, compact airfryer which is about the size of a kettle). Other problem was keeping the lid clean. Bowl is fine, easily cleaned, but the lid (with all the electrics in it) no good ay of keepiong clean and got 'splattered; during cooking.

Martinxu Tue 11-Oct-22 10:04:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Urmstongran Tue 11-Oct-22 10:11:48

Reported.