Gransnet forums

Food

Mini silicone cake moulds

(12 Posts)
nandad Tue 01-Nov-22 16:43:48

I am making a trio of deserts for a dinner party and want to use some silicone moulds to make sponges, they are about muffin size. Has anyone used anything similar and did they turn out of the moulds intact? The instructions say no need to oil, which sounds great but with all the grooves I’m not so sure.

JackyB Tue 01-Nov-22 18:16:41

The secret is to let them cool down completely before turning them out. I would grease them though, even if it says not to. The spray grease is very light but effective.

Mollygo Tue 01-Nov-22 21:12:14

I’ve only used silicone for banana bread. I greased it as JackyB said and leave them to cool.

Norah Tue 01-Nov-22 21:15:58

I use the moulds, grease with oil dotted on a brush. Release well.

Daisymae Tue 01-Nov-22 22:48:33

That's the whole point of silicone moulds - they don't stick. I have a range of them and can't remember a problem.

Humbertbear Wed 02-Nov-22 07:26:15

I have three - a ‘man’, a ‘woman’ and a teddy bear. Thanks for the tip about letting them cool before turning out. I used the teddy bear mould and the poor bear looked as if it had been in a fight. Tasted good tho.

nandad Fri 04-Nov-22 10:10:52

Thank you for your replies, as they are patterned moulds I will oil them first, I was just being lazy as they are so small it will be fiddly!

Nannagarra Fri 04-Nov-22 13:12:07

It won’t be fiddly if you use a brush.

Spice101 Sat 05-Nov-22 06:33:47

I use a mini muffin/cupcake mould - 12 cups per "tray" and they are about 1.5 inches in diameter also have one a bit larger with only 6 cups. I have not tries sponges in them but do muffins and they turn out well. I also make mini cheesecakes and pastry cases for mini lemon tarts in them. For those I do give them a light spray with non stick cooking spray.

As mentioned let them cool fully before removing.

GanaAmrutha Fri 11-Nov-22 05:35:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MawtheMerrier Fri 11-Nov-22 09:38:39

Reported (yawn) shock

EMLIVINGSTON Tue 29-Nov-22 14:32:28

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.