Gransnet forums

Food

What is good to buy from Waitrose?

(56 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 03-Dec-22 22:22:13

I have been given a voucher for Waitrose ( or John Lewis) and we have decided to make a shopping trip there this week or next to buy some special treats- things we can’t get locally.
( We have a local Co-op, Aldi and good independent shops and normally get a delivery from Sainsbury’s ). I would like some recommendations of food or drink from Waitrose please.

GagaJo Sat 03-Dec-22 22:47:11

This won't make much of a dent in your voucher, but they sell a wonderful blend of dried mixed beans. A nicer mix than anywhere else I've tried.

SueDonim Sat 03-Dec-22 23:09:31

A trip to Waitrose is not a frequent event for me so I like to browse the shelves with spices and other different cooking ingredients to get new ideas. It’s the only place I know where I can buy fresh lemon thyme, too.

As Gagajo says, their pulses and rice sections are good, with different combinations available. They always have nice treats in their confectionary aisle.

Happy shopping!

Aldom Sat 03-Dec-22 23:11:55

Good offers on wine at Waitrose at the moment. I bought some yesterday. Also Prosecco.

Sago Sat 03-Dec-22 23:21:30

I buy a lot of cheese from the deli counter, Chaumes is my favourite.
The wine and spirit choice is excellent.

Ro60 Sat 03-Dec-22 23:21:56

I find their EV Olive oil is exceptional - 1L at a reasonable price - even compared to Aldi.

Essential (ie: basic range) Balsamic Vinegar of Modena won taste test challenges against more expensive ranges.

The often have unusual herbs - I recently bought some Thai basil - well worth going back for. Fresh lemongrass is another.

Their basic toiletries are good & reasonably priced.

A while back, they had Lindt dark chocolate spread - The Best ❤

My pasta/soup bowls came from Waitrose too - they still look brand new 7 years later & well used.

Stop off for a coffee & cakes if they have a cafe - you'll be well looked after.
Have fun -What a great gift!

NotAGran55 Sun 04-Dec-22 05:08:00

Own brand camomile soap.
Own brand coffee ice cream
Heyford bread
Duchy organic milk

Charleygirl5 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:16:49

Their crusty bread is not cheap but it is to die for.

Unfortunately Waitrose is my closest and although I do not buy my main groceries there I frequently pop in. I love the fish section and prepared stir-fries, if I add some more vegetables can eke it out for 3-4 meals.

I love the marmalade with whisky, very tasty.

MawtheMerrier Sun 04-Dec-22 08:19:19

What do you like?
I’d just go with my voucher and my trolley at the ready and pick whatever took my fancy

Cabbie21 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:32:59

Thanks for the suggestion so far. The voucher is for £50. DH is coming too, so he will have his own ideas. As I rarely go to Waitrose it is good to know what they do well, and maybe a few treats,

argymargy Sun 04-Dec-22 08:36:05

Waitrose is my main supermarket and I find the quality very good. Just don’t be fooled by the Christmas items - prices are eye-watering. Often reduced to half price if you can bear to wait…

Kim19 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:41:47

Cheese..... Vacherin Mont D' Or. £10. Wonderful.

Riverwalk Sun 04-Dec-22 09:02:50

The Duchy products are very good particularly organic milk and eggs. And the Heston Blumenthal range e.g. bloody Mary prawn cocktail, and chicken liver parfait.

Happy shopping!

Baggs Sun 04-Dec-22 09:15:10

Deglet Noor dates. Hard to find elsewhere. No Waitrose near us so I have to order them from an online wholefood shop.

Kalu Sun 04-Dec-22 09:33:14

I second Deglet Noor dates plus their own brand ready to bake croissants and pain au chocolat in the freezer section. The best I have ever tasted outside France. At the cheese counter, truffle cheese.

Patsy70 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:41:43

Maybe spend it at John Lewis and buy something nice for the home?

Visgir1 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:44:11

Just have a stroll around the store, you won't be disappointed with the choice.
I get my online weekly shopping from there, I have never had any complaints with the quality.
Have fun.

Redhead56 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:57:56

I used to visit the store on Anglesey sold our cottage so we don’t go anymore. There fresh meat and fish counters are very good. We used to spend a lot there on lovely free range meats and sustainable fish much more choice than we have. The bread counter is really good and the bread is good quality that lasts.

Cabbie21 Mon 05-Dec-22 09:26:38

We are going on Wednesday. I am hoping to get some items to put in the freezer as Christmas treats, amongst other things, not traditional stuff necessarily.

Lucca Mon 05-Dec-22 09:44:45

argymargy

Waitrose is my main supermarket and I find the quality very good. Just don’t be fooled by the Christmas items - prices are eye-watering. Often reduced to half price if you can bear to wait…

Their fruit is not great IMO.

vegansrock Mon 05-Dec-22 09:51:26

I’ve bought some really nice mugs from there for £2. We use them all the time. Their free from section is the best too.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 05-Dec-22 10:06:36

Waitrose is my local supermarket, I buy nearly all my fish and meat from them, often just waiting for bargains and putting it in the freezer. Waitrose breaded lemon Dover sole is our favourite and when it’s reduced it goes for less than half price. Enjoy a drink and a cake in the cafe as well. Happy shopping

Cougar530 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:51:38

For those with a Waitrose card, if you download the app, you can choose two coupons every Wednesday to be used against an item such as milk etc. All quite straightforward but I have a tip. Choose the two with the most money off eg £3.00 or £2.50, as, whether in store on online you do NOT have to buy the product mentioned. It will still scan in store or come up automatically when checking out on-line.

SuzieHi Thu 08-Dec-22 04:19:35

Fresh Salmon filets.
Chocolate with almonds.
Fresh pasta
Greek style yogurt
Panettone for Xmas

argymargy Thu 08-Dec-22 07:10:07

Cougar530

For those with a Waitrose card, if you download the app, you can choose two coupons every Wednesday to be used against an item such as milk etc. All quite straightforward but I have a tip. Choose the two with the most money off eg £3.00 or £2.50, as, whether in store on online you do NOT have to buy the product mentioned. It will still scan in store or come up automatically when checking out on-line.

Are you sure about that? You mean the coupon will work even if you don’t buy any of the products mentioned?