Gransnet forums

Food

Breadmaker Question

(30 Posts)
Sidelined Fri 17-Mar-23 20:03:21

Hi, I’m a newbie so nice to meet you.

I bought a bread maker recently and eventually found a great recipe that made the perfect loaf several times. However, the last three loaves - same ingredients, same settings - have been different: the loaf rose too much and hit the lid ruining the shape and although each loaf tasted fine thy were too light, difficult to slice because it was too floppy, even three days old!

I can’t work out what has changed. I began using up an old pack of yeast sachets (still in date) and had no problems. A new pack of the same yeast coincided with these odd loaves - could that be the problem? If so, what’s the solution?

Any ideas gratefully received. Thank you.

Elegran Fri 17-Mar-23 20:47:26

The usual thing that spoils bread baking is that old yeast doesn't make the bread rise properly. When people buy new yeast, their bread improves dramatically. You seem to have hit the opposite problem The old ones may have lost some of their power. Perhaps that suited your breadmaker or the recipe you were using. Try not using all of the new packet of yeast, that may fix it. Some trial and error is needed.

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Mar-23 20:52:32

I was going to suggest the same, Elegran.
Of course if you change flour - even just the brand - you may also get a different result.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Mar-23 20:55:39

use less of the new yeast

SueDonim Fri 17-Mar-23 21:06:29

I suspect it’s a yeast issue, too. I don’t buy the sachets, I get the tins of yeast and keep it in the fridge. You can then measure exactly what you need.

Sidelined Fri 17-Mar-23 21:36:28

Thanks all. I assumed it was the yeast too but if the recipe says 7g (a sachet) how much less do I use?

MiniMoon Fri 17-Mar-23 22:35:21

My favourite recipe for my breadmaking calls for 1 teaspoon of active dried yeast. I use a teaspoon from my set of measuring spoons and there is always some yeast left in the sachet. Try that and see what happens.

Sidelined Fri 17-Mar-23 23:03:36

Thanks, I’ll give that a go. Aren’t Breadmakers fussy smile

Llamedos13 Sat 18-Mar-23 02:46:16

Temperature of the liquid can also change the finished loaf.

absent Sat 18-Mar-23 04:51:28

I don't want to seem like I am teaching another grandmother to suck eggs. However, it is worth bearing mind that there is a difference in the way you use fresh and dried yeast. Also, yeast does not keep well.

denbylover Sat 18-Mar-23 05:38:09

A friend told me years ago she kept her dried yeast in the freezer. I’ve followed that advice and touch wood it seems to work. Hope you get your breadmaking sorted.

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Mar-23 07:21:19

I just lob a packet of bread mix into the machine with the required amount of water, set the timer and look forward to the smell of freshly baked bread in the morning.

Joseanne Sat 18-Mar-23 07:33:12

As said, it could be the yeast, but are you also keeping a strict eye on your proving times? I find letting it go a bit too long can alter the process and the result.

karmalady Sat 18-Mar-23 07:34:53

put the salt into a dip in a different place to the yeast.

Active and instant yeast are very different, sold next to each other on the shelves

I buy a 500g pack of dried organic yeast, it is vac packed and I keep in the fridge., in its packaging. When I open it, then I transfer to a kilner jar and keep it in the fridge. I use one and also have a spare 500g. It keeps extremely well and I get consistent good results, have done for very many years

I measure yeast very accurately, level measures

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Mar-23 07:36:41

My Panasonic does all that.
Years ago I used to bake bread the traditional way with all the kneading, proving, knocking back etc.
It really got rid of all my frustrations an Paw commented more than once on the improvement in my temper! grin

mumofmadboys Sat 18-Mar-23 07:36:46

We like Wrights cheese and sun-dried tomato bread mix .Yummy!

Sidelined Sat 18-Mar-23 09:31:30

Thanks, all. This is my 2nd machine with a gap of several years between them. I used the ready packs for the first two loaves because I’d used them before, but the results were disappointing- the bread looked like a kids drawing of a dog's head: flat in the middle with pointy bits each side. Then I used individual ingredients that were close to use by dates but carefully measured, checked temperatures and followed all the rules about keeping salt and yeast apart etc. it worked! We had a couple of perfect loaves.

The last three loaves have all suffered from being too light and rising too much despite carefully following the same recipe and process. I’ve bought new ingredients of course and think the yeast is to blame. It’s the same make but might be a variant of the original one - as someone said you need to keep an eye on which one you pick.

I’ll try again using less yeast today. Fingers crossed. I was so delighted with the perfect loaves - the bread was never as good with my first machine - but the last disasters are so disappointing confused Thanks again.

Llamedos13 Sat 18-Mar-23 10:01:54

I find my bread is nicer if I use the dough setting then bake it in the oven. Defeats the savings of energy but the bread always turns out just right.😋

Elegran Sat 18-Mar-23 10:08:44

Allinsons make tins of dried yeast of two different kinds - one for breadmakers, the other for handbaking. If you get the wrong kind it may not work as well.
My panasonic says one and a quarter teaspoons of yeast for the basic bread.

dogsmother Sat 18-Mar-23 10:24:23

Had to give my bread maker away……. I kept eating all the bread, it was too delicious. I now buy a sliced loaf and eat a bit now and again from the freezer. Occasionally a baguette for a treat.

Patsy70 Sat 18-Mar-23 10:56:10

I always use the dough setting for loaves and rolls.

bevisp1 Sat 18-Mar-23 11:13:48

After purchasing my bread maker & reading all the know how to use it instructions, I was surprised to read that as the recipe required, the ingredients have to be put in the same order as the enclosed booklet says! So I’ve always done as it says, maybe you may not have done this or does any GN not necessarily think it matters?

Tizliz Sat 18-Mar-23 11:55:44

Whilst you may do the same every time you do not open a new bag of flour etc each time. I find that flour can be so different day to day and I think it depends on the moisture in the air. I always keep yeast in the freezer. Why is whole meal bread so difficult?

Sidelined Sat 18-Mar-23 13:53:24

Dogsmother, that was the reason I gave our first machine away - we ate too much bread! grin

I can’t believe how finicky the whole process is. The last three loaves were tasty and the text very light but the loaf looked like one of those tall chefs hats that had been flattened smile I’ve bought thermometers, keep everything in air tight bags and pots, double check weights. OMG!

I’m trying again using less yeast but will try other yeast - currently it’s Allisons fast action yeast that says 7g (sachet) for hand made, see the manufacturer’s guidance for machines, manufacturers guidance says follow recipe, recipe says 7g. I e gone for 5g - wish me luck! [smike]

Elegran Sat 18-Mar-23 14:00:21

bevisp1

After purchasing my bread maker & reading all the know how to use it instructions, I was surprised to read that as the recipe required, the ingredients have to be put in the same order as the enclosed booklet says! So I’ve always done as it says, maybe you may not have done this or does any GN not necessarily think it matters?

The order of putting in the ingredients is mostly so as to keep the salt away from the yeast. Salt kills yeast if it is too concentrated. Many breadmakers have a delay function, so if that is used with the salt and yeast close together, the salt would be in contact all the while the delay was on. Once it is all mixed and kneaded it doesn't matter.

Different breadmakers recommend different orders. Mine says put the water in last, but some say first.