Gransnet forums

Food

Woman's Weekly Chocolate Trifle

(10 Posts)
Suzan05 Sun 29-Oct-23 15:09:44

I have lost a recipe that I cut out of a copy of Womans Weekly years ago. It was for a Chocolate Trifle. I've used it a number of times. It was made with homemade chocolate custard and Chocolate Swiss Rolls. I was wondering if anyone has this recipe? I would be very grateful for a copy. Or does anyone have a similar recipe that's a favourite? There are lots of recipes online which I will adapt if I can't find the original recipe. Many thanks in advance🙂

wildswan16 Sun 29-Oct-23 16:32:50

Was this anything like it?

www.womensweeklyfood.com.au/recipes/julie-goodwins-chocolate-trifle-29563

Suzan05 Tue 31-Oct-23 13:49:50

Thank you so much for replying Wildswan16. That's the closest recipe I've seen. I'll go for that one💐😄

CristyM Thu 07-Dec-23 07:58:47

My family love that recipe and we make it for Christmas every year. We make 3 times the amount of custard mentioned so it fills the trifle bowl. This is the recipe, I have transcribed it from my Aunties scribbled torn out page of a notebook

Chocolate custard trifle
1 packet strawberry jelly
225gm jam sponge roll
1 punnet strawberries
2 1/2 cups of milk
3 tablespoons custard powder
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
300ml cream
1 block chocolate

Cut cake into slices and line a trifle bowl
Cut strawberries in half and layer over the cake around the bowl - leave some for decorating on top
Make jelly and pour over the cake and strawberries
Refrigerate for 30 minutes
Make custard by combining the custard powder, milk, cocoa and sugar
Stir over medium heat until it boils and thickens
Remove from heat and stir in half the cream mixing well
Cool custard slightly and add to the trifle
Refrigerate until cold and the custard is firm
Whip the remaining cream
Grate the chocolate
Decorate the trifle with the whipped cream, chocolate and remaining strawberries

Esmay Thu 07-Dec-23 13:10:17

Thank you for the idea and the recipe .
It sounds rather delicious .
I'm wondering about making a Nutella sauce for my trifle !

Esmay Thu 07-Dec-23 13:19:35

I just found a similar recipe using raspberries , raspberry jam instead of strawberries .
The chocolate custard is thickened with cornflour with some vanilla , cocoa and sugar and no custard powder .
The top is decorated with Cadbury flakes and more raspberries .

watermeadow Fri 08-Dec-23 20:13:48

I made a chocolate trifle last Boxing Day and it was so popular I shall do it again this year.
I used chocolate swiss roll, frozen cherries and berries, chocolate custard made with cornflour, whipped cream then grated chocolate and cherries as decoration. NO JELLY!

Gwyllt Fri 08-Dec-23 20:45:48

Try chocolate mousse instead of custard

RosiesMaw Fri 08-Dec-23 20:50:14

I never put jelly in trifle- sponge fingers, fresh (or frozen ) raspberries, real custard, cream and toasted slivered almonds

Ali23 Fri 08-Dec-23 21:45:36

Me neither, Rosie’s Maw. That sounds delicious!