Gransnet forums

Food

My DH's smoked salmon

(32 Posts)
CanadianGran Tue 28-Nov-23 17:58:00

Just doing a brag here. My DH has been busy for the last few weeks doing smoked salmon in his back yard smoker.

I think he has smoked around 20 fish, including sockeye, coho and spring salmon, all caught locally. He has done fish for ourselves as well as friends and family. Both cold smoke and now he is working on hot smoke.

This is quite a process; he gets the fish already filleted, then pulls all the pin bones, brines it, rinse then dry overnight, smoked, then vacuum sealed.

Thankfully we have a separate downstairs kitchen (the house used to have a suite), so all the fishy/smoky smell can stay downstairs.

If I had to guess, each average 5lb dressed fish would make about 3 lbs smoked, so around 60 lbs! Good on him, I'm quite proud.

midgey Tue 28-Nov-23 18:28:04

Well done him, err…..could I have an address for my order….😀

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 18:30:24

Me too …

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Nov-23 19:05:14

Me please 👍

MiniMoon Tue 28-Nov-23 19:08:51

I'm drooling here. I love smoked salmon.
Well done to your husband CanadianGran.

AreWeThereYet Tue 28-Nov-23 19:11:08

Brag away 😁 I love smoked salmon too

Georgesgran Tue 28-Nov-23 19:12:44

DH used to fish The Tweed and when it wasn’t the ‘catch and release’ programme, he’d get the odd fish smoked up there. Delivered chilled and vacuum packed in convenient sizes, it was delicious. (So it should, considering the cost!)

annsixty Tue 28-Nov-23 19:18:44

A real treat about this time of year.
You are one lucky lady as are your friends and family.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 28-Nov-23 19:21:46

Sounds wonderful CanadianGran.

Mizuna Tue 28-Nov-23 19:29:46

Sounds amazing and makes me verrry hungry. 😀

Jaxjacky Tue 28-Nov-23 19:40:00

We have friends in France who are doing the same with trout. I’m not fond of either, but a massive well done to your husband CanadianGran the whole process requires patience.

Bella23 Tue 28-Nov-23 19:42:16

Georgesgran

DH used to fish The Tweed and when it wasn’t the ‘catch and release’ programme, he’d get the odd fish smoked up there. Delivered chilled and vacuum packed in convenient sizes, it was delicious. (So it should, considering the cost!)

Mine was exactly the same, some we brought home the butcher in Thornhill when he fished the Nidd would freeze them for you but never smoked them. We took them to the local smokery the best was the Beck Watcher at Driffield in Yorkshire. DH did his own trout in a small tin smoker in the garage and chicken breasts.
I wonder how many fish we could have bought with the cost of the beat, accommodation, special waders for different rivers and a ghillie?
Someone I knew did them in her dishwasher!!!!!! served with a sauce of Finish rinse aid.confused

Redhead56 Tue 28-Nov-23 21:16:39

How lovely I would be proud if I could home smoke salmon well done Canadian Grandad!!

Georgesgran Tue 28-Nov-23 23:08:11

My £44 Teabags Bella23?

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 23:26:46

Bella23

Georgesgran

Mine was exactly the same, some we brought home the butcher in Thornhill when he fished the Nidd would freeze them for you but never smoked them. We took them to the local smokery the best was the Beck Watcher at Driffield in Yorkshire. DH did his own trout in a small tin smoker in the garage and chicken breasts.
I wonder how many fish we could have bought with the cost of the beat, accommodation, special waders for different rivers and a ghillie?
Someone I knew did them in her dishwasher!!!!!! served with a sauce of Finish rinse aid.confused

Yes, I've heard of people cooking fresh salmon in the dishwasher!
Wrapped, of course and apparently it comes out perfectly. I've never tried it

Well done to your DH CanadianGran. He must be a very patient man 🙂

Bodach Tue 28-Nov-23 23:31:24

My father used to put out an occasional net along the shoreline of the firth beside which he lived in retirement. And the occasional salmon occasionally ended up in that occasional net - so we were never short of an occasional fish or two. Occasionally a couple of them would find their way to and from the 'backyard' smoking facility of a pal of his on a 'one for you; one for me' basis. And very good they were, too.
It could potentially have been a risky business: penalties for taking salmon in this 'freelance' way were eye watering. Fortunately, his pal was:
1. A fellow Leodhasach, and
2. A retired very senior policeman.

Gwyllt Wed 29-Nov-23 06:29:01

You have inspired me to get our smoker out haven’t set it up since we moved about six years ago. The results are always exciting and can be a little strange. Has he tried other things such as cheese or butter Garlic was superb Thinking ahead might try nuts
Anyone got any other suggestions

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 29-Nov-23 11:05:09

Smoked trout is good...

Esmay Wed 29-Nov-23 11:09:48

Yummy !
I love smoked salmon with whipped cream mixed with a little horseradish and blinies .

Bella23 Wed 29-Nov-23 11:29:58

I think I can guess where your father lived Bodach. On the river mouths on the Solway Firth, they used to put out Haaf nets a Viking way of catching salmon coming up the river with the tide. We used to go around and buy the fish and from the legal Smokery near Gatehouse of Fleet.
My own father fished but only for trout as he got older.
The person who taught DH to fish Canada Gran actually died on a fishing trip to Canada. Can you still catch and keep it? It's illegal now here as georgesgran has said and costs a lot of money just to throw damaged fish back. He has stopped fishing. He always fancied a visit to Canada. You are so lucky.

Witzend Wed 29-Nov-23 11:43:51

👏👏👍😋

CanadianGran Wed 29-Nov-23 19:16:39

Bella23, we live on north coast BC. We don't own a boat, but a friend of DH does, and he gets an invite for a few weekends a year. They do have daily limits, but different species are running at different times of year. After all these years I still don't pay that much attention! They all are filleted and into the freezer until November when it is cold enough to do the smoking.

Fishing on the river has been closed to all except First Nations People, so you need a friend with a boat to get out on the ocean.

He has used the smoker for trout (which I like), and the odd whole chicken, and sometimes pork ribs. I don't actually like things too smoky tasting, so I caution him to take it easy on the smoke for those. He'll smoke them for a while, then we cook them on the BBQ.

He will also do other's fish, so the friend with the boat brings his over, as does my son. DH has gotten his recipe and method down to a science. It is well received by others.

CanadianGran Wed 29-Nov-23 19:20:27

Oh, and yes, depending on where you are fishing and what season it is, you can keep salmon. The regulations are very complicated, but the stakes are high for any cheating. Your boat and vehicle can be confiscated. DH and friends stay up to date on all the regs.

If you ever do get the chance to come to BC, try to get a fishing charter for your DH. I know they are expensive, but a good experience for those who love to fish. Is anything similar available in the north for you in UK?

Bella23 Wed 29-Nov-23 20:15:01

They had to have a National rod licence and another permit to fish the part of the river they wanted ,some beats on certain rivers as Georgesgran says were very expensive.If you forgot your rod licence you were given a hefty fine which of course mine did. We say beck in the N west of England instead of a stream.
Your husband's
way of going out in a boat sounds very exciting. You get runs of different types of salmon, I think we only get Atlantic and not all year round.

Bodach Wed 29-Nov-23 20:49:11

Dear Bella23, It was quite a bit further north than the Solway Firth, but more than that I cannot reveal on the grounds that it might still incriminate me - if only for having eaten so much of the spoils…wink