Gransnet forums

Food

Give up tatties and mince for every day

(57 Posts)
Gin Tue 02-Apr-24 19:04:07

Yesterday as a special treat I cooked, at great effort, a lovely meal of duck with all the trimmings including orange sauce, just for OH and myself. ‘That was tender lamb’ says he. Today I said I would make fried rice with the leftovers. ‘Yes use up the turkey’. I give up. He will get his mother’s staple (5 days a week) tatties and mince for the rest of the month,

V3ra Tue 02-Apr-24 19:29:18

I once spent the afternoon making cream of chicken soup from scratch.
"That was lovely," said my husband.
"Just like the real thing out of a tin."

flappergirl Tue 02-Apr-24 19:49:16

To be fair, tatties and mince (with peas for me) sounds nice. I could eat that now.

crazyH Tue 02-Apr-24 19:49:50

Oh dear 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Kate1949 Tue 02-Apr-24 19:54:54

My husband makes a tatties and mince curry. It's delicious.

pascal30 Tue 02-Apr-24 20:09:14

Your husband sounds really sweet.. at least he thinks it's all lovely

RosiesMaw Tue 02-Apr-24 20:18:42

It’s not Tatties and Mince
It’s Mince and Tatties!

Gin Tue 02-Apr-24 20:27:12

Sorry RosieMaw, he is the Scot not me!

fancythat Tue 02-Apr-24 20:38:53

I said a few years ago to DH, "I think I will cook you...not sure I even finished the sentence". He said, that is the trouble with you, "you think". I dont think I have been ambitious with cooking for him ever since.
If I want something from the norm, I just have it for myself.

On the plus side, I also assume ever since, he is happy with what I make.

Kate1949 Tue 02-Apr-24 20:41:29

We actually say mince n tayters.

Witzend Wed 03-Apr-24 10:14:03

flappergirl

To be fair, tatties and mince (with peas for me) sounds nice. I could eat that now.

I regularly make a batch of my version, labelled in the freezer SDM - School Dinner Mince, a favourite of dh, though TBH he enjoys every kind of food.

My version is only about 50% mince - it includes red lentils and a lot of veg chopped up very small.
Usually served with boiled or mashed potatoes and peas. Dh never gets fed up with peas!

Marydoll Wed 03-Apr-24 10:33:08

We are having mince and tatties tonight, a favourite of DH. I would rather have spaghetti alle vongole!

Redhead56 Wed 03-Apr-24 10:39:39

It's called mince and mash where we live.

BigBertha1 Wed 03-Apr-24 10:45:46

When I left my parents home the thing I knew I would never miss was mince. DH hates the smell of mince cooking but as I only ever use it for bolognese or chilli he is not much discomfited. He also hates mash but I like it occasionally but hardly ever do it. Having served many, many plates of mince and potatoes during my years as a hospital based nurse I hope I never have to see it again. If I am ever confined a care home I shall have NO MINCE AND POTATOES emblazoned on my care plan.

Baggs Wed 03-Apr-24 10:47:11

Gin, your OH sounds like a bit of a tease (in a nice way). I love both lamb and duck and I can tell the difference but have to admit that they are similar in texture so, to a non-connoisseur, mistakable for each other.

Perhaps you should have a small black or white-board in your kitchen on which you write what you are serving each day. The cook where I work does this for people with dementia <<---- defo not a side swipe at your OH 😁

Callistemon21 Wed 03-Apr-24 10:54:08

BigBertha1

When I left my parents home the thing I knew I would never miss was mince. DH hates the smell of mince cooking but as I only ever use it for bolognese or chilli he is not much discomfited. He also hates mash but I like it occasionally but hardly ever do it. Having served many, many plates of mince and potatoes during my years as a hospital based nurse I hope I never have to see it again. If I am ever confined a care home I shall have NO MINCE AND POTATOES emblazoned on my care plan.

My Scottish friend was visiting me in hospital when mince and potatoes was served - she said she wouldn't have fed it to the dog.

Baggs Wed 03-Apr-24 10:56:31

Callistemon21

BigBertha1

My Scottish friend was visiting me in hospital when mince and potatoes was served - she said she wouldn't have fed it to the dog.

Well, yeah, but doesn't this apply to most hospital food?

Baggs Wed 03-Apr-24 10:58:16

To be fair, I was once given a cup of very good lentil soup when I was waiting for the results of xrays on my broken shoulder.

Witzend Wed 03-Apr-24 11:16:08

Baggs

Callistemon21

BigBertha1

Well, yeah, but doesn't this apply to most hospital food?

I spent 3 weeks in hospital last year and TBH the food was mostly absolutely fine. Sole exception was one helping of broccoli boiled to an absolute mush.

The reason I still lost well over 5 kg wasn’t down to the food though - all the ABs I was on - presumably it was that - was making everything (even a cup of tea) taste weird or horrible for quite a while.

pascal30 Wed 03-Apr-24 11:29:41

I had an emergency hospital stay whilst visiting Southport. The food was fanatastic they had a proper chef and the hospital was renowned for it's food. It was a few years ago...

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 03-Apr-24 14:19:35

A Scottish client once took me to lunch at his club. Lovely menu, but what did he have? Mince and tatties.

Chaitriona Fri 05-Apr-24 11:58:33

Mince and tatties can be delicious or disgusting depending on the quality of the mince. My mother would mince stewing steak at home with a hand mincer you screwed on to a table or get the butcher to mince beef she had chosen while she watched him. The cheapest mince was the sweeping of the floor. And there is not much seasoning other than salt or pepper to hide poor meat.

lizzypopbottle Fri 05-Apr-24 12:00:12

It took me well into adulthood before I could face or enjoy minced beef. When I was a child, my parents struggled to make ends meet and mince was cheap, being mostly "the sweepings off the butcher's floor". Sausages were the same, horrible white bits, gristle and fragments of bone. Stewing steak was fat and gristle and really tough for small teeth. I'm still suspicious of thick sausages, preferring chipolatas, and generally buy "steak mince". I dissect all the fat and connective tissue from stewing cuts. Fat may equal flavour for some but not for me.

My mother was from a Liverpool working-class family. When we visited my grandparents, the table would be groaning with "delicacies" including
black pudding, white pudding, tripe, brawn, salt fish, liver, kidneys, heart, brains, sweetbreads etc. (not all at once) and, no matter how much I was encouraged, my lips remained firmly sealed. I still won't eat those things.

My grandad would sit and eat cockles out of a jar. I won't say what those shellfish remind me of. I can't understand how anyone can eat and apparently enjoy mussels, oysters, prawns, crab and lobster. As for octopus... The nearest I've ever got to octopus was a photo of my son's plate when he was on holiday in Greece, sent to troll me! Bad lad!

Picky eater? Moi? 😂

lizzypopbottle Fri 05-Apr-24 12:01:10

Chaitriona cross posts!

cc Fri 05-Apr-24 12:03:16

My mother used to make a lovely shepherd's pie (always from leftovers) from the weekend joint but I've never managed to make a good one. I think we used to eat less meat in meals then and now we'd want much more mince in this dish.