Gransnet forums

Games

Croquet

(12 Posts)
Teetime Mon 12-Jun-17 15:59:22

I am just exploring setting up a croquet club in my town (we don't have one at the moment). I have identified two different sites for it. Does anyone play croquet or belong to a club and have you any advice/tips please?

Alima Mon 12-Jun-17 16:16:01

No sorry but just thinking this thread hasn't as yet received nearly as much interest as your last one!

kittylester Mon 12-Jun-17 16:49:51

I have never played croquet in my life. I'm hopeless at games involving skill and a ball but I quite fancy it - isn't Pimms involved?

Ana Mon 12-Jun-17 16:54:04

Isn't it a bit like putting, but you have to get the ball through litte hoops?

Ana Mon 12-Jun-17 16:54:30

'little'

rosesarered Mon 12-Jun-17 17:10:28

Yes, it's fun, have played it a few times in the past, but difficult although you wouldn't think it.Sorry Teetime that's not much use to you! Someone will be along soon with advice.?

annodomini Mon 12-Jun-17 17:33:27

My granny had a croquet lawn (not really as posh as it sounds!) and every summer when we stayed with her we played against each other. I haven't played since I was a teenager. It is a great idea Teetime. It's a good social game, though even in what looks like a genteel pastime, tempers can get a bit frayed and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of an opponent wielding a croquet mallet. It would be a good idea to have a croquet lawn attached to a pub to cement the social side of the game.

Liaise Mon 12-Jun-17 17:50:19

I would like to learn to play croquet TEETIME. If you lived near me (DORSET) I would join you!

rubysong Mon 12-Jun-17 18:41:30

Good luck with your club Teetime. We've played croquet a couple of times in a friend's garden. I'm fairly useless but enjoyed it as it is a sociable activity. We did it as a fundraiser for our Twinning group and combined it with a cream tea and raffle. Very civilised.

wildswan16 Mon 12-Jun-17 19:42:24

I played croquet once last year - having previously played about 40 years ago. I loved it and hope to join a (fairly) local club this summer. I have no advice to give you teetime, but wish I was near enough to join you. I think it is a game anyone from 10 to 100 can enjoy together.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 22:13:11

I like croquet and if we have been anywhere with a croquet lawn I always have to have a game (some NT places have them set up).

However, I am absolutely useless at it and quite likely to hit my knee rather than the ball.
Unfortunately, I am nowhere near you Teetime or else I could come along and give you some advice on how not to play smile.

Teetime Tue 13-Jun-17 08:59:15

Well thank you al for replying. I do think it would be appealing. The site I have 'earmarked' is in a town park its a disused Bowls Green that has been beautifully maintained and next door to a retro café so I think the venue will appeal. I am probably going to apply to Sport England for a start up grant.

If anyone has any advice about starting up a club of any kind - the admin side- I would be very grateful. Thank you