Gransnet forums

Games

What fanfare would you walk into ?

(71 Posts)
NanKate Wed 23-May-18 09:20:08

Heard this on local radio last night.

If you were walking into a room on a special occasion what fanfare would represent you as a person, not necessarily a favourite song but something that linked to you. Here are 3 examples from the programme.

Don't bring me down by ELO

Theme tune to Steptoe & Son !

Dancing Queen by Abba

I will put my mind to what fanfare I would have, but over to you now.

hildajenniJ Wed 23-May-18 09:38:40

All family and friends know I love classical music so my fanfare would have to be:
The arrival of the Queen of Sheba.

Culag Wed 23-May-18 09:41:38

I had The Arrival of The Queen of Sheba at my wedding.

Greyduster Wed 23-May-18 10:41:44

Aaron Copeland’s “Fanfare for the Common Man” always floats my boat, but I have to say, that - though not a fanfare - the opening bars of Parry’s “I Was Glad” always make me go weak at the knees.

NanKate Wed 23-May-18 11:12:13

I have just heard Ff for the C M Greyduster very rousing.

I would have at the moment for DH and myself 'Stand by Me' by Ben E King. We have gone through some very dark times in the last 11 months. DH has been my rock and vice versa.

shysal Wed 23-May-18 15:26:47

I would rather slink in to silence or stay away! I am too shy to attract attention to myself.

Belgravian Wed 23-May-18 15:53:27

youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

Teetime Wed 23-May-18 16:56:38

I would be so surprised a roomful of people were waiting for me it would have to be' If I'd know you were coming I'd have baked a cake'.

A friend asked what I would wear if I got married again- 'A Straightjacket' I replied.

Grannybags Wed 23-May-18 17:19:04

hildajenniJ and Culag I've asked for The arrival of the Queen of Sheba for my funeral!!

janeainsworth Wed 23-May-18 19:16:34

Britten’s Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra, Variations on a Theme by Purcell.
It always featured in the Founders’ Day Service at school and I love it.

lemongrove Wed 23-May-18 19:29:02

Nan I think you really mean what song or piece of music
Is the essence of us grin didn’t you, rather than an actual ‘fanfare’ piece of music? Just a few bars being played as we walk into the room?
So it could be anything really.
Until last week mine would have been A Whiter Shade Of Pale, but after my holiday more The Girl From Ipanema
(Although strike out the words young and lovely, and tall.)grin

Nannylovesshopping Wed 23-May-18 19:57:42

I’m having the arrival of the Queen of Sheba at my funeral too, haven’t decided what I’m going out to yet ?

lemongrove Wed 23-May-18 20:12:22

Knocking On Heavens Door ?

Belgravian Wed 23-May-18 20:12:57

Today 16:56 Teetime

I would be so surprised a roomful of people were waiting for me it would have to be' If I'd know you were coming I'd have baked a cake'.

A friend asked what I would wear if I got married again- 'A Straightjacket' I replied.

grin

Nannylovesshopping Wed 23-May-18 20:21:18

? lemongrove

NanKate Wed 23-May-18 21:05:37

You could be right Lemongrove I just described the game as they had on the radio. You are far too young for Knocking on Heaven’s Door.

I love your comment Teetime. I know the scrummy Rufus Sewell is one of your favourites how about ‘Light my fire’ by Jose Felitzano, sorry can’t spell his name.

Do you think Donald Trump could come into ‘Bring on the clowns’,?

Or Mary Berry to Pat a cake, pat a cake, baker’s man ?

grannyactivist Wed 23-May-18 22:38:05

When I'm in my casket I'd like to leave to Rutter's A Clare Benediction. Such beautiful music.

lemongrove Wed 23-May-18 22:39:10

Nan grin
Good choices from you, should we tell them?

gillybob Wed 23-May-18 22:50:56

Mine is “The baby elephant walk” by Henry Mancini

gillybob Wed 23-May-18 22:54:25

g.co/kgs/8CKZSF

The Baby Elephant Walk .

NanKate Thu 24-May-18 07:11:42

That music is wonderful Grannyactvist and very moving.

Gillybob do you want to join us on the Onward and downward thread where a number of us are struggling together to lose a pound or two. It’s in the diet section can’t remember what I called it. I am sure you are not an Elly just a well rounded woman.

Lemongrove well Trump wouldn’t recognise that song relating to him. I set you all a task of thinking what song he would choose.

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 08:44:04

For me ‘Men of Harlech’ ?

Greyduster Thu 24-May-18 08:59:48

Played by Grimethorpe Colliery Band, Annie!

Greyduster Thu 24-May-18 09:02:01

I have decided that when I go, I will go out to “Coronation Scot”!

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 09:03:39

Greyduster ? . I watched ,the film Zulu a few days ago,again

Yes has to be a colliery band