Gransnet forums

Gardening

Suggestions for Perennials

(58 Posts)
kittylester Mon 13-May-19 07:21:43

Has anyone suggestions for a border (west/south west facing) which we want to plant with perennials?

Our garden isnt big, the border is about 4 metres long and 1 metre deep with a wall/fence behind. It has currently got some alliums and a couple of huecheras (cant spell that!).

The wall has pyrocanthas, actinidia and a new winter flowering evergreen clematis growing on it.

Thank you for your help.

J52 Mon 13-May-19 07:53:01

Have you already got Erysimums? Bowles Mauve seems to flower all year long.
I’ve recently got a fab red flowered version called Red Jep, it is already flowering away. Particularly lovely set against silver leaved Cineraria.

Tartlet Tue 14-May-19 01:14:15

Japanese anemones are lovely and come in various colours and sizes. Also late flowering rudbeckia, day lilies, Lysimachia ciliata Firecracker, perennial geraniums, Iris, shasta daisy, doronicum, goodness so many to choose from.

What about having a look at the RHS site to see which perennials get their ‘award of garden merit’?

Tartlet Tue 14-May-19 01:14:48

And kaffir lilies - another very late flower.

Tartlet Tue 14-May-19 01:23:03

Oh, and oriental poppies, the taller campanula and lobelia.

The photos are of two of my Japanese anemones.

kittylester Tue 14-May-19 06:45:34

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I love Japanese anemones and we have lots in another part of the garden so I dont want anymore, similarly geraniums and poppies but I like the wallflower idea and I was planning kafir lilies (known here as schizophrenia) as I love them.

I'm off to investigate the other suggestions.

LullyDully Tue 14-May-19 08:19:46

Mexican fleabane is wonderful. A very pretty low small daisy. It flowers for ever.

LullyDully Tue 14-May-19 08:21:27

Erigeron

Greyduster Tue 14-May-19 08:37:53

Geums, particularly the lovely red Mrs Bradshaw; echinacea (cone flowers) come in various shades; rudbeckia; bright yellow leopards bane for early spring (a good foil for dark foliage heucheras); coreopsis; and, yes, definitely erysimum, but be stern with it or it will take over!

Alygran Tue 14-May-19 09:03:32

Just planted up a new border yesterday. Add penstemon, verbenas to the list? I put 4 compact chrysanthemums in too for late colour. Happy planting.

kittylester Tue 14-May-19 09:09:00

Germs are on my list, gd. I love them and have a few already. When we opened our garden for the village event, one woman said nothing at all for the whole of her visit except, as she was leaving, announcing 'I really hate geums!'

Nannytopsy Tue 14-May-19 09:15:15

My current favourites are Brunnera macrophylla which have a mound of green and silver leaves and taller sprays of forget me not type flowers. You don’t get the mildew problems of forget me nots. Jack Frost, Alexander’s Giant and Hadspen Cream are the three I have.

Greyduster Tue 14-May-19 09:22:03

I would suggest verbena bonariensis, which does provide a lovely tall backdrop to a border, but it is an awful thug.

Greyduster Tue 14-May-19 09:26:13

Sorry! Alygran already suggested verbenas.

Greyduster Tue 14-May-19 09:28:39

Salvias! Okay, I’m going now?!

shysal Tue 14-May-19 09:56:26

Plant of the year at Chelsea last year was Hydrangea Runaway Bride. They flower at every leaf joint rather than just stem tips as ordinary hydrangeas do. I know it is a shrub not a perennial, but possibly worth considering. I don't know how big they grow, all pics I have seen are small, but maybe being a new hybrid there hasn't been time for several years' growth. I hope you enjoy planting up your bed.

kittylester Tue 14-May-19 09:56:57

We all seem to have similar tastes. And, I know I've been poorly but it's GEUMS that are on my list - not germs!!

I have the brunnera in the bed adjacent so I suspect it will make it's way there Topsy. I have lots of verbenas, a couple of which are in that border. I also have a fair few growing in the patio cracks! blush

I love penstemon and already have a few but could cope with some more.

Gonegirl Tue 14-May-19 10:09:33

Flowers growing in paving cracks are lovely!

I will make my suggestion when I remember it's name.

Gonegirl Tue 14-May-19 10:16:02

Scabious! I love the pink ones you can get now.

Tartlet Tue 14-May-19 10:45:22

Campanula glomerata and persificolia are both lovely too.

Greyduster Tue 14-May-19 12:18:28

I had Camp. Glomerata in my last garden - a very handsome plant. I had forgotten about it!

Tartlet Wed 15-May-19 05:04:35

I've just remembered rose campion (lychnis coronaria). Very pretty with silvery foliage and bright pink, long lasting flowers.

And what about Solomon's seal? Crocosmia Lucifer?

(I've just been mentally going round my garden trying to get to sleep)

kittylester Wed 15-May-19 06:10:01

Please dont worry, tartlet. grin

We have all those - I told you we all have similar tastes!

Thank you for all your suggestions!

shysal Wed 15-May-19 07:43:53

I have recently been given a Jacob's Ladder, which is pretty. It is more purple than the photo, and has partly bronzed leaves.

kittylester Wed 15-May-19 07:46:27

I have a variegated Jacob's Ladder but I love the idea of bronzed leaves.