Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden tokens - what would you buy?

(15 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 13-Mar-18 15:34:10

I have been given £135 of garden tokens and would welcome ideas from all you experienced gardeners. What would you spend it on?

I am looking for shrubs that are low maintenance and preferably scented.

Or would you put it towards a swing seat for instance?

lemongrove Tue 13-Mar-18 15:44:33

We have a swing seat Lucky and a solid wood bench and two different sets of tables and chairs, as we like to have varied sitting places within the garden ( gives a different view.)So yes, seating is a good idea.Also a water feature, as the sound of running water is great in Summer.
Pots are something else you can never have enough of, as it means you can grow plants that you couldn’t always in the ground, azealas etc.
Happy spending! smile

Coolgran65 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:51:37

I love water features and that would be my first go to.
Last year with vouchers I bought a tall metal spinner which also has a solar light and a gorgeous metal Bird feeder with water bowl to hand from the Apple tree. Love them to bits as I'd have considered them a bit extravagant from my own pocket.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Mar-18 16:21:37

We have a fountain - I should have said that!

The spinner sounds interesting - I will do a bit of research.

PamelaJ1 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:26:04

I love pots but the big ones are sooo pricey, how lovely to get one free!
Buy your garden furniture from gumtree. Secondhand pots are difficult to find.

cavewoman Tue 13-Mar-18 16:29:33

Oh Luckygirl you are a lucky girl!
Treat yourself to something beautifully extravagant.Or extravagantly beautiful smile

Luckygirl Tue 13-Mar-18 16:39:35

Extravagance is the way to go! smile

1974cookie Tue 13-Mar-18 19:02:57

If you have not already got this shrub, then treat yourself to a Daphne, or perhaps two. It flowers in February, and the perfume is absolutely incredible. I discovered it only recently at at Green Island gardens in Essex. You can smell the delicious scent before you can even see it !
It is on my list of must haves now.

Chewbacca Tue 13-Mar-18 19:21:57

I agree that Daphne is the most heavenly scented plant that I've ever smelled, it's absolutely beautiful. If I had room, that's what I would go for, and I'd plant it right next to a lovely garden seat so that I could savour it for hours.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Mar-18 19:30:58

That sounds interesting - I am making a list!

SueDonim Tue 13-Mar-18 19:39:28

If I lived further south and had a conservatory, I'd buy a gorgeous pot and an orange tree to put in it. I love the scent of orange blossom.

A couple of years ago I went to Calfornia's Hearst Castle in the spring and it was so odd to my British senses to see (and smell) orange blossom trees at the same time as daffodils and tulips and huge rambling roses climbing up supports!

To add to the bizarreness of it all, there were zebras wandering around in the grounds. Bonkers! grin

midgey Tue 13-Mar-18 19:53:59

Could you have a camellia? Or how about a winter flowering cherry, really cheers in the winter.

merlotgran Tue 13-Mar-18 19:59:33

Pots....The larger the better.

Gerispringer Wed 14-Mar-18 06:35:19

I’d buy a small tree like aJapanese azalea or olive tree in a lovely large pot. Should grow for years and remind you of whoever gave you the vouchers,

OldMeg Wed 14-Mar-18 07:21:40

I have a swing seat and love that.