Gransnet forums

Gardening

Chelsea Flower Show

(22 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 23-May-18 10:36:29

I like Chris Beardshaw but not sure his garden deserved to win Best in Show. I preferred Jo Thompson's Wedgewood Garden and the Welcome to Yorkshire one. I also loved Sarah Price's M&G garden.

I wonder why Carol Klein chose to wear the same thing on the first day as she did last year? It looks like a scary reptile has just shed its skin and she's made a suit out of it.

Lupins seem to be the plant of the show this year so must tell mine to buck up as they've gone into a sulk.

Hope the weather holds out for the rest of the week.

hildajenniJ Wed 23-May-18 10:51:28

I liked the Welcome to Yorkshire garden best too merlot. I love lupins, but DH says they won't grow here, and as he's the gardener, I have to bow to his greater knowledge.
We went to Chelsea a couple of years ago, but it's much better watching it on TV. It is too small a space for so many people.

Joelsnan Wed 23-May-18 10:51:53

I agree that I thought there were better gardens than Chris's and did wonder if the garden sponsors were also Chelsea Flower Show sponsors, then tried to dismiss that thought.
I too noticed that Lupins seem to be plant of the show this year they look fabulous, despite years of trying I have never succeeded in growing them, slugs being the main culprit and once I was so frustrated to see an absolute slugfest devouring my burgeoning Lupins that I tipped a can of salt on the plant and obviously killed the Lupin in the process!

Greyduster Wed 23-May-18 10:53:52

I haven’t had a proper look at the gardens yet, but I am, as usual, because I adore Japanese gardens, captivated by the Hospitality Garden. I am very disappointed that every year they seem to have a Yorkshire Garden and they are all the same! Yorkshire is a big county - let’s see a bit more imagination.

J52 Wed 23-May-18 11:04:16

Loving watching Chelsea. I went years ago and agree that it’s better on TV. Although, I am tempted to go again.
I grow my Lupins in large planters. It’s easier to control the slugs.

henetha Wed 23-May-18 11:07:56

Me too, Joelsnan. I've given up on lupins because they are the slugs favourite it seems. Also hostas.
I'd love to go to the Chelsea flower show but I can't stand crowds, so better to see it on tv. It all looks beautiful.

Nanabilly Wed 23-May-18 14:23:09

Another one who agrees it's much better on tv than actually being there. Unless you were invited for a private viewing then I think I might enjoy seeing them in real life again . Hated having to fight through with elbows out to get anywhere close to a decent view on the gardens.

Teetime Wed 23-May-18 14:43:19

For a fa bulous event they are making some pretty boring TV programmes. Its all people standing in thd same place philosophising.... snow us the flosers and plants please. I thought the lupins were garishand artificial looking

Telly Wed 23-May-18 18:54:07

Have been to Chelsea several times, would only go on members day when it is marginally less manic. The floral pavilion is wonderful, if on the hot side. However I don't think I will go again.

There seems to be an awful lot of concrete in many of the main show gardens. I know that the hard landscaping is important but it does seem a tad extreme.I like Chris Beardshaw's garden and think he is a well deserved best in show. I am taken with Islamic fountain in one of the other gardens too.

merlotgran Fri 25-May-18 15:30:57

Brave of Rachel de Thame to reveal she is having treatment for breast cancer and that's why she's absent from the presenting team this year. I really like her and hope she makes a full recovery.

Atqui Fri 25-May-18 19:04:32

I've never been to Chelsea and would love to go. Are members days significantly less crowded? Love watching it on TV - Monty Don......Yum

MawBroon Fri 25-May-18 19:25:55

Never made Chelsea sad but looking forward to Chatsworth in a fortnight.
SIL has a sculpture there - but that does not get me at free ticket sad !

Grandma70s Fri 25-May-18 19:49:01

My son is going to Chelsea tomorrow, as he does every year. He says he probably won’t last until the end when they sell off the plants. Just as well. I have a cousin who won several gold medals, but in the end he stopped exhibiting there because it is apparently a very expensive thing to do.

I’ve never been, but I’ve been to other, lesser flower shows. I found them exhausting even when I was young. Thank goodness for the telly!

ginny Fri 25-May-18 20:54:16

Having just looked at ticket prices ( £110 for a day) I think I’ll stick to watching it on TV.

hildajenniJ Fri 25-May-18 23:16:23

I've been on members day. It was very crowded. I've also been on an ordinary day and there was no perceptible difference. I think Chelsea is too small for the amount of gardens, trade stands etc. I much prefer Hampton Court.
I'm glad Welcome to Yorkshire garden won the People's choice.

Elrel Sat 26-May-18 00:37:55

I was surprised to see so many rhododendrons, once so disliked! I think they are beautiful but need keeping an eye on lest they take over!

Greyduster Sat 26-May-18 14:41:25

Chelsea at Chatsworth is coming up shortly, but at forty pounds a ticket it’s too rich for my blood I’m afraid. Tatton Park is less expensive so may look at that one.

Witzend Sun 27-May-18 13:01:47

For several years we were lucky enough to get free tickets for Chelsea, and I took several friends/relatives. However, the last time I went, taking a friend who'd never been, and had been through a really rough time, it was wet and chilly, and there was literally nowhere to have lunch under cover! The only place we found told us there was a one hour wait for a table.
We ended up standing under trees in the rain to eat something from the stalls, and went home early.
I was so disappointed - not for myself, but for the friend whose treat it was supposed to be.

IMO Chelsea is just too crowded, which may be all right on a nice day, but no fun at all if it's wet.

Personally I much prefer the Hampton Court Flower Show - much the same things to see, and probably more, since there's so much more space, and since it's in July it's at least more likely to be warm. Far more space if you want to take a picnic, too.

farview Sun 27-May-18 14:25:05

Have enjoyed,again,watching Chelsea,loved the Yorkshire garden,think Chris Beardshaw definitely deserved best in show, wouldn't go in person though,far too crowded..will stick with Tatton,love it?

Nelliemoser Sun 27-May-18 22:59:21

The Yorkshire garden was my choice when I first saw it.
All these corporate business people with lots of money to spend and the voting public went for the Yorkshire Garden.
It's not about being clever or having the money to pay for the fancy stuff. It is accessible to all and beautifully simple.
I go with Monty Don entirely about the "soul" being in the Yorkshire garden.

Marmight Mon 28-May-18 08:50:27

I went on Thursday with a friend. It's been on my bucket list for some time and my DDs gave me tickets for my Big Birthday last week. It was an amazing experience. Much smaller than I had imagined. We got there soon after 8.30 when the heavens opened for about an hour but it made no difference to the enjoyment except preventing us from exiting the Tree House via the slide from the top floor ?. The show gardens were amazing with lupins, irises and foxgloves predominating and purple being the in colour. By the afternoon it became very crowded but not uncomfortably so. Highlight was having a good old chat with Marjorie the 3rd ever lady pensioner and finding out about life in the Hospital!

Telly Tue 29-May-18 19:18:50

I do think that members days are less crowded and this is noticeable when you are trying to get something to eat or drink. However it is always busy, busy busy. If you join the RHS you can get members tickets at a discount so if you are interested in going it might be worthwhile to think about it, plus the benefit of going a slightly less manic day. But an experience non the less! I am sure that in the past I have bought tickets well before the end of the previous year. Notice that I didn't mention the C........ word! Having said all that I know that Tatton has more room and if I lived anywhere near I would give that a whirl!