Gransnet forums

Gardening

Plant ID please.

(10 Posts)
Greyduster Mon 17-Jun-19 12:30:23

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I saw it at a garden we were visiting yesterday and there was no-one around I could ask. It seems to come in different shades of pink and I would dearly like to have some.

Lisagran Mon 17-Jun-19 12:36:11

It’s Astrantia - a lovely, useful plant smile

shysal Mon 17-Jun-19 13:01:11

I agree.
I once sowed some Astrantia seeds according to Gardeners World instructions, nurtured the few seedlings for ages, until they grew large enough to identify them as Willow Herbs! I had been giving lots of TLC to weeds!

Lisagran Mon 17-Jun-19 13:32:54

I had pink ones in the garden but they seem to have disappeared! The white ones are out just now - really useful cut flowers

Greyduster Mon 17-Jun-19 15:18:54

Wow, thank you ladies! They were mass planted and I thought they were stunning. I shall ask at the garden centre.

Greyduster Mon 17-Jun-19 15:19:56

Like the arrangement, Lisagran. Is that purple plant salvia?

Auntieflo Mon 17-Jun-19 15:56:13

Lisagran, what a very pretty vase of flowers, lucky you.

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 16:02:11

I got rid of all my Alchemilla mollis because it self-seeded everywhere, in cracks between slabs, borders etc but it looks so lovely in that arrangement perhaps I'll have to buy some more seeds.

Mind you, I am hopeless at flower arranging, that looks lovely Lisagran.

Lisagran Mon 17-Jun-19 16:12:23

No, Greyduster - it’s a weed! Toadflax. But I leave it to grow as I like it smile

Lisagran Mon 17-Jun-19 19:24:39

I always have lots of flowers in the house - and I bulk out the posies with ‘weeds’ like Valerian and Toadflax smile