Gransnet forums

Gardening

Growing Carrots

(4 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sun 18-Aug-19 00:46:49

Every year I plant carrot seeds in my old, rusty wheelbarrow. And every year I have a wonderful display of feathery carrot tops, and delicious carrots which we eat from about September until Christmas, and beyond.

Until this year.

I sowed my seeds, as usual, but when they started to shoot they didn't look like carrots. As they got bigger I knew that they definitely were not carrots. I would have pulled them all up, but it was a bit late to start again. A friend suggested that they might be radishes, so I decided to let fate take its course.

Well, they're not radishes either! They are chickweed!!!

I can't imagine what happened at the seed company which packaged and sold these seeds. And it's not just an odd clump of chickweed - which I know can pop up anywhere. Every plant in my wheelbarrow is chickweed, and they all came up together, uniformly - with not a carrot in sight!

I can't remember the seed company now, or I would write and complain!

Can you eat chickweed? (I know birds do!) And will it last so that we can have some for Christmas dinner? grin

BradfordLass72 Sun 18-Aug-19 04:49:56

Just a bit puzzled - chickweed doesn't look anything like the feathery carrot tops.

Make the best of it though. smile

www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-622/chickweed

Looks like you'll never be troubled with constipation or scurvy !!

Lyndiloo Sun 18-Aug-19 15:53:28

Thanks for that, BradfordLass. Ha! Ha!

MissAdventure Sun 18-Aug-19 15:59:41

The sap is good to put on warts.