Gransnet forums

Gardening

Favourite cut flowers

(40 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:36:25

Which are your favourite flowers gransnetters

tanith Thu 12-Dec-19 20:34:57

Freesias but can hardly ever find them in the shops anymore.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 20:36:53

wild ones from our mountain meadows - or from our Curate's garden, many originating from the wild. Never been found of formal arrangements.

Cherrytree59 Thu 12-Dec-19 20:42:47

Daffodils. Love 'em
They signal the light after the dark winter days and that spring is on it's way.
I buy several bunches (British) as soon as they appear in the shops.
daffodil daffodil daffodil

kittylester Thu 12-Dec-19 20:45:24

Depends on the season, but if I had to pick one it would be tulips with twigs and foliage from the garden.

But I had fun with ranulculas last time they were in season.

midgey Thu 12-Dec-19 20:47:12

Used to love to buy ‘Sols’ in very early spring in London. Haven’t seen them separately for ages, I think they were soleil d’or narcissus.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Dec-19 20:49:50

I love to change with the seasons. Each week I pick from the garden whatever is in flower, to decorate the tables at our community cafe, in small vases. Of course the Summer collections are gorgeous but I get a real kick when I can make a show with nothing much. This week it was white heather, yew and thornless holly plus a shrub (I don't know the name but it seems to flower all year!)
The early snowdrops are a treat.
I like the different shades of green too.

I agree about freesias. I love their scent and my DH brought me a bunch when DS #1 was born in April.

I don't like the bunches of flowers you see in supermarkets. They are too industrial and there is no scent.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Dec-19 21:18:40

Freesias, preferably the yellow ones because their scent is strongest. Or lillies. White, long stemmed ones.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 21:32:20

Daffodils
I never buy anything else, only have them if I am given some.

I used to love bunches of primroses and bluebells but we're not allowed to pick wildflowers any more.

Anniebach Thu 12-Dec-19 21:37:53

Daffodils

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 12-Dec-19 21:41:35

Peonies and damask roses

Grammaretto Thu 12-Dec-19 21:45:53

I sowed wildflower seeds in our garden and the primroses are really happy and have colonised. I pick them!
We have bluebells in May but I think ours are not the native ones as they come in pink and white as well as blue.

CanadianGran Thu 12-Dec-19 21:54:38

My favourites (I can't choose just one) are daffodils and tulips in spring, and a little later, lilacs and peonies.

I finally learned (learnt?) that crushing the stems on lilacs keeps them from drooping in the vase.

Namsnanny Thu 12-Dec-19 22:13:39

Which ever one is in flower!

If I really had to choose flame/orange coloured freesia (flower is a bit smaller) and has the strongest spiciest scent. Adorable!

Here's a token in the place of them flowers !!

lemongrove Thu 12-Dec-19 22:54:54

Tulips, roses, hydrangea flowers, lilies, carnations.?

Oopsminty Thu 12-Dec-19 22:56:05

Sweet Peas

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 23:08:00

Oh yes, sweet peas are lovely if we get any. I don't think they like our soil.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 23:09:17

I brought quite a few gladioli indoors a couple of years ago because they were snapping after a high wind.
Then I found ants coming out of them and scurrying everywhere.

Oopsminty Thu 12-Dec-19 23:10:25

Oh yes, sweet peas are lovely if we get any. I don't think they like our soil.

They are beautiful, aren't they?

We've not managed to get the magnificent displays my Mum used to manage.

Tried in soil and compost and all sorts of liquid food and loving chit chat but they're not interested!

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 23:12:54

My dad used to grow a whole rack of them and we always had some indoors in season.

mumofmadboys Fri 13-Dec-19 00:16:24

Tulips and daffodils

QuaintIrene Fri 13-Dec-19 00:33:42

Roses. They do drop quite quickly but I use them for pot pourri.
But any I fancy in the supermarket on the day are enjoyed.

Ginny42 Fri 13-Dec-19 00:52:28

All daffodils, especially tete a tete (sorry don't know how to insert accents).

In summer my roses, peonies and sweet peas are beautiful, although only the yellow rose is scented. Peonies can bring ants in. I like stocks, but they don't last long in a vase.

babzi Fri 13-Dec-19 02:01:53

Sweet peas, sunflowers, roses

Septimia Fri 13-Dec-19 10:00:46

I love freesias for their perfume, also sweet peas and roses, especially 'Shot Silk' which we had in the garden when I was a child and reminds me of 'home'.

Growing flowers for cutting isn't very successful in our garden, but DH sometimes buys me some when we're out shopping. I often choose alstromeria because they last for at least 2 weeks.