Gransnet forums

Gardening

Plants for large balcony at seaside

(11 Posts)
Franbern Sat 18-Jan-20 09:21:08

I have recently moved from my suburban London house to a flat at a seaside town. Do not miss my garden, (had to have a gardener the past few years).
Need to sort out my balcony with some pots of real and some of fake plants.. However, I have been warned that some patio plants do not like a salty atmosphere. I am not on the sea front, about quarter of a mile away from the sea, but would like advice from anyone who can help as to what plants I could look to purchase ready for summer months and also, later in the year, for the winter. Will normal bulbs and pansies (which is what I used to have in winter in London), be any good?
Any and all advice gratefully received.

shysal Sat 18-Jan-20 10:20:00

I envy you moving to the sea side. Not being right on the sea front will hopefully avoid any salt damage, so I think your usual plants and bulbs would be OK.
Last summer I planted Tidal Wave Petunias for the first time. I was delighted with them, as only a few plants filled planters and trailed and climbed, giving a good display which lasted until the first frosts. The variety is known to be resistant to rain damage.
Enjoy your new home!

Gaunt47 Sat 18-Jan-20 10:25:25

What floor are you on Franbern and which way do you face?

gillybob Sat 18-Jan-20 10:32:56

I live a stones throw away from the North Sea Franbern and find that Hydrangeas do particularly well in the salty air. I have them in pots and in the ground .

I have some good Cordylines in pink and red too which look lovely in pots (all year round) .

gillybob Sat 18-Jan-20 10:41:58

Not sure how I ended up posting the same photo twice hmm

Franbern Sat 18-Jan-20 12:40:35

Thanks for those coming in to help me I am on the first floor and the balcony faces South West. At present I get a lot of sun there (when it deigns to shine in the winter), but do not know how it will fall during the summer months.

J52 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:13:01

Ameria is the garden version of Thrift the seaside plant. It’s quite low growing, but bushes up nicely and flowers all summer long.
I also second Hydrangeas, there’s a huge variety and some which grow in a compact way.

MerylStreep Sat 18-Jan-20 13:24:17

I live within walking distance of the sea and have no problems. For 'false' plants, IKEA have a wonderful selection.

MerylStreep Sat 18-Jan-20 13:31:30

Franburn
Here is a picture of my little garden on the second boat I lived on. All the white plants are Gypsophilia. I've never been able to grow them since.

Gaunt47 Sat 18-Jan-20 16:08:29

Franbern lucky you, just about anything will grow in that position IMO. You'll have more sun in the summer so will have to water the pots at least once a day. You might try water retaining granules. A saucer under each pot.
I've got a lovely patio clematis in a similar situation, and have been surprised at how it comes back year after year. Hydrangeas, absolutely (gillybob's photos are lovely, perhaps she'll us her secret!) but I don't think you should worry. Just garden as you would normally, with fewer slugs and snails!

Franbern Sun 19-Jan-20 18:27:41

Thanks all for suggestions. I will start trying to sort this outside space out after Easter - need to find some nice furniture to go there. It is triangular shaped. Will try some hydrangea definitely, and will also try with petunias and inpatients - I always had these in my front of house patio pots and found them easy to look after and plenty of flowers. USed to have water those pots daily, so am used to doing that.
I will let you all know how it turns out this coming summer.