Gransnet forums

Gardening

Artificial Grass, Yay Or Nay.

(53 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:07:41

My friend has asked me what I think to artificial grass, as he is thinking of having this, personally I know zilch about it, so I thought I would ask you wonderful people if any of you have this. Or know of people that have,

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:10:31

Nay, nay and thrice nay

Awful stuff.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Feb-20 23:47:12

Under no circumstances.

MawB Fri 21-Feb-20 23:52:22

Nay, nay and thrice nay.

Disastrous for wildlife, hedgehogs, birds, - no worms in artificial grass.
More plastic to add to our waterways as and when it degrades (if it ever does)
Who needs an emerald green carpet in their garden?
(Naff)

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:56:17

It should be banned.

I do mean that.

Nannytopsy Sat 22-Feb-20 00:37:12

No - as Maw says, it makes the soil inaccessible to wildlife. Also, it is introducing more plastic into the environment.

FlyingSolo Sat 22-Feb-20 00:40:51

I'm another one who is going to say no.

BradfordLass73 Sat 22-Feb-20 05:22:43

As usual, I'm a dissenting voice grin

It's used quite a lot here, not least for All-weather sports fields which, of course don't get muddy, drain wonderfully and allow people to play all their field games regardless of the weather.

In kindergartens and schools it's used for hygiene and so babies don't hurt themselves if they fall.

It's also use on roof gardens and some townhouse strips where maintenance would be an extra expense.
It saves mowing for those who find that hard for any reason.

The modern stuff looks really good, sold in various different grass styles, fine to broad leaf, and you wouldn't know it was artificial unless you got very close.

So I would tell your friend to go look at it and not be swayed by old-fashioned visions of what it used to look like.

Oopsminty Sat 22-Feb-20 05:46:47

Nope

MawB Sat 22-Feb-20 05:59:13

I’m not disagreeing Bradfordlass with the uses of artificial grass you quote. AstroTurf or All Weather surfaces make sense for sports pitches. Likewise roof terraces- the latter would be unlikely to have traditional lawns and in little children’s ‘ playgrounds you can have a cushioned surface fir safety.
But OP was, I assumed talking about domestic gardens and the anti-plastic argument combined with the appeals for encouraging wildlife in our gardens IMO rule OU artificial lawn.

MawB Sat 22-Feb-20 05:59:42

“Rule out” oops!

BlueBelle Sat 22-Feb-20 06:39:20

No no no
Dreadful stuff as Maw says ‘it may’ have its uses in some circumstances but for everyday gardens and on the whole it should be banned dreadful for the wildlife, insects and birds and unlike brandfordlass I personally think it looks awful
Who wants a carpet in their garden with no birds or worms or anything natural around
Whoever invented that needs a sharp reminder of what is needed in gardens, and it’s not a carpet of plastic

JackyB Sat 22-Feb-20 07:02:35

Our local football club tried it for a while but the players kept getting cuts and scurfs from the plastic grass. They then moved anyway and there is now a supermarket on that plot.

For the new pitch they reverted to natural grass. I can't see any advantage in artificial grass.

Framilode Sat 22-Feb-20 07:21:51

It's horrible.

tanith Sat 22-Feb-20 07:45:35

No not in ordinary gardens please.

Sara65 Sat 22-Feb-20 08:12:46

No I agree, not in domestic gardens. Although I understand you can have it custom made, with a selection of weeds and daisies.

One of the best smells of summer, newly cut grass.

Curlywhirly Sat 22-Feb-20 08:23:29

It's a no from me too - in domestic gardens. But, I agree it has its uses in sport, playgrounds and roof terraces.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Feb-20 08:31:13

If it suits the owners needs, then why not.

Marydoll Sat 22-Feb-20 08:32:29

Two of my neighbours have it and it looks awful.
I wonder about the possibility of flooding in this terrible weather.
A definite no from me!

craftyone Sat 22-Feb-20 08:37:39

Vile stuff for the lazy. It looks nasty, is nasty for soil health and wildlife, smothers worms. Is often used to cover problem ground that does not drain. Artificial grass would be a deal breaker for me, I would never buy a house with it, wondering what else they have covered up and bad for the environment

GagaJo Sat 22-Feb-20 08:41:08

Adds to flooding. Terrible for the environment and wildlife.

LullyDully Sat 22-Feb-20 08:44:51

I am anti but we had a thread a few months ago and people liked it. Suppose it depends on your needs and position......still hate it.

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 09:38:14

custom made with weeds and daisies shock

It gets worse!

Septimia Sat 22-Feb-20 09:46:31

I agree with Maw. Artificial grass has uses in specific places, like roof terraces, places where decent grass won't grow or if the owner of the space has genuine problems with maintenance (e.g. due to health).

In gardens it looks awful, is seriously bad for the environment and shows that the owner is too lazy to mow the lawn.

Auntieflo Sat 22-Feb-20 09:48:42

Yes!!! We have it in our, small back garden. It has been down for approx 4 years now.
It was done because we could no longer cope with the maintenance, and it seemed more reasonable than the on going cost of having someone in to cut and edge it. That is, if you could find anybody willing to do it.
We have decent borders, with shrubs and trees and get lots of birds foraging there and feeding on the berries on the tree.
Drainage is not a problem, as it was properly prepared and laid.
Sorry to all dissenters, but this GNer is very happy with our choice.