Gransnet forums

Gardening

Using compost bin as a heat pad for seeds

(6 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 28-Mar-20 09:03:22

I have a space at the top of my composting bin large enough to slip three or four trays of seeds into. The heat generated by the compost i thought, would help with the germination and keep the seed warm when temperature drops overnight. My greenhouse is not heated. Has anyone tried this in the past and was it successful? MY only concern is the lack of light due to the lid. Helpful repies most appreciated.

J52 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:57:05

Seeds are all doing well in my unheated greenhouse, despite cold nights.
However, the tomato seedlings are inside in front of the French windows.
I’d be worried about light levels, damp and bugs in the compost.
But might be worth an experiment.

travelsafar Sat 28-Mar-20 13:49:44

J52 exactly what i thought, nothing lost really if it doesnt work. I have put flowers seeds in there, dont really want to take the risk of loosing veg and salad seeds. I was just concerned about the lack of light, when the lid is in place. I have used seed lids with covers and put something round them to secure in place. Like you my Toms are in the house. I will check daily to make sure they are ok. smile

J52 Sat 28-Mar-20 14:35:40

If it’s successful you might have hit on a good idea.

travelsafar Fri 03-Apr-20 17:11:01

I have removed seed trays and put in the greenhouse as i was concerned they would not get enough light. Hopefully now i will see some results from the seeds i planted.

Grammaretto Fri 03-Apr-20 17:23:54

I have all my seeds in my unheated greenhouse. The trays have some clear plastic covers and there's a big cozy fleece over them all. Im in Scotland so not taking chances.
Peas and lettuce have sprouted.
My compost bins are not very hot on the top yet.
I'd like to hear if this works.