Gransnet forums

Gardening

splitting Japonese aneomes

(10 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 03-Apr-20 17:09:43

Does anyone know if it is now that you divide these plants. I have a huge one at the back of my garden which has spread and i would like to divide and put in other places in the garden as it ususally flowers well into October.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Apr-20 17:28:25

Apparently they don’t like being moved, so they may nor flower this year if you do move them.

MrsJamJam Fri 03-Apr-20 18:26:58

I split and moved some last year. Most are still alive but are taking time to really get going, so I am being patient.

joannapiano Fri 03-Apr-20 18:39:22

I love them, as they are fairly self-supporting, but have had little success in dividing and moving them. The white ones are lovely, we only have pink. They are just starting to come up this week.

Namsnanny Fri 03-Apr-20 19:34:32

Yes they are showing through the soil, and my beloved who was helping plant some Cyclamen, put his dirty great big size 9's on top of them! angry
Squashed and pulverised.sad

I've forked the soil around them and watered, as standing on top of them has also compacted the soil until it feels like concrete.

I can only wait and see now.

I just hope the cyclamen will be worth it grin

BBbevan Sat 04-Apr-20 18:15:47

I have move quite a few successfully. However they do keep coming up in the original place .

Namsnanny Sun 05-Apr-20 00:01:49

Lucky you BBbevan smile

Lilypops Sun 05-Apr-20 00:42:18

Travelsfar, I wishing lived near you I would beg some cuttings from you, I have just ordered some online but they will only be out size this year, When they are fully grown they are so beautiful ,

Lilypops Sun 05-Apr-20 00:42:41

Pot size I meant ,

Bathsheba Sun 05-Apr-20 09:20:58

Our garden used to be overgrown with Japanese anemones which proved to be so invasive, as to be considered a pest. I spent many a summer digging deep to stop the spreading rhizomes.

They are very beautiful, and are such a lovely splash of colour in the garden from August right through to the first frosts, when other flowers are long over, but they are very, very hard work if they take over the garden as ours did.