Gransnet forums

Gardening

Thick branches what to do with them.

(16 Posts)
tanith Sun 05-Apr-20 16:43:27

I’ve been cutting back some shrubs and conifer branches now the greenery and fine branches go in my green council recycle bags which I pay for. But what to do with the thicker branches? Could I chop them up into a black bag and put them in my general rubbish bin?
I now have quite a pile but I really don’t think I should try putting them in the green bags.

Witzend Sun 05-Apr-20 16:48:07

We cut ours up and they just go in the garden waste that dh eventually takes to the tip. (We don’t have a green bin). Some are too thick for secateurs, so we have to use the long pruning tool.

H1954 Sun 05-Apr-20 16:48:07

Do you know anyone with a wood burner? They could store the logs for 12 months and then burn them.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 16:53:59

Do you have done good cutters tanith ? I have done a bit of pruning today and have chopped the bigger bits up into small pieces and squashed them into my overflowing green bin. Our LA have stopped the collection although I doubt we will get a refund . My little composted is full to the brim too .

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 16:55:05

Oops sorry . First line should read ... do you have any good cutters ?

EllanVannin Sun 05-Apr-20 16:55:08

A log burner for conifer branches. Imagine the smell at Christmas.

tanith Sun 05-Apr-20 16:57:26

I do have several good different size cutters for branches and I can cut them up small but I was worried about them being too thick for the composting which is what the council do with the garden waste, luckily ours is still being collected.

I don’t know anyone with a log burner.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 17:03:53

I would just cut them up small then tanith which should be fine . They put most of the green waste through a Mulcher anyway . smile

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 17:05:16

gillybob our Council has stopped the green waste collection just when many of us are doing more gardening.
They have taken our money and I did wonder if we'd get a refund.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 17:08:17

I doubt we’ll see a refund Calli . Mine is chocker block full despite trying to bash it all down with a hoe today I doubt I’ll get anything else in now. I’ve got a little beehive style composter and that’s full too.

SuzannahM Sun 05-Apr-20 17:17:18

We've built a couple of log piles with ours behind some shrubs. The ones we made last year are slowly breaking down and hopefully will supply some food for the hedgehogs. Although we haven't seen any yet and we usually have by now.

tanith Sun 05-Apr-20 17:18:03

Thanks everyone. gillybob that's useful to know I hadn't realised they put it through a mulcher anyway thanks. So now I shall spend best part of tomorrow cutting them up wish I had a 'chopper' ? it might quicker.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 17:23:45

I’ve got an albino hedgehogs grave at the bottom of my garden complete with headstone . My DGD 1 has created a bug hotel around it just incase the hedgehog angel gets hungry . Good idea to pile the twigs around there . smile

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 17:25:15

Good idea, make a retreat for insects.

tanith Sun 05-Apr-20 17:45:52

I already have several piles in different places round the garden and do see a hedgehog now and then.

Alexa Sun 05-Apr-20 18:29:17

I keep them for mending holes in the hedge, or for clothes line props, or dog barriers when part of the grass has become too worn from dog runs and needs a rest.I also keep a pile of them propped up in a corner for a hedgehog and mouse refuge.