Gransnet forums

Gardening

Can anyone identify this plant.

(33 Posts)
Jean321 Sun 31-May-20 15:47:47

I am not sure if this is a wild flower, it has been in our garden for years and pops up all over the place. I have tried to find in plant identifiers without any success. I would be grateful if someone could help me out.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 15:51:25

Yellow poppy. Not sure if it’s botanical name. It is a weed I suppose but what a lovely one?.

I had a very old country Aunt who said the sap cured warts.

reelashosser Sun 31-May-20 15:52:14

Could it be a wild poppy? The picture isn't very easy to tell. There were a lot of yellow and orange poppies in my previous garden - they're a bonus or a curse, depending where they pop up!

Alima Sun 31-May-20 15:52:48

What a timely post. Sorry, don’t know the answer but we have an orange version of what looks to be the same. Didn’t plant it, appeared this year, how? There is a sole yellow one in the other border.

Beechnut Sun 31-May-20 15:53:25

I get them in my garden and always thought they were the same as what Whitewave said.

Alima Sun 31-May-20 15:53:36

Possibly dropped by birds?

Chewbacca Sun 31-May-20 15:54:13

Poppy. Self seeds. Easy to pull up if it's growing somewhere that you don't want it.

Alima Sun 31-May-20 15:55:36

Will it grow back next year if you yank it up Chewbacca? Like forget me not?

Liz46 Sun 31-May-20 15:56:31

We have some beautiful wild poppies in our garden this year. I haven't been allowed out to buy plants so we are grateful for the colour.
I did have some pansy seeds which I planted in a seed tray. I had gathered the seed heads last year because the flowers had been so pretty and kept them in a paper bag. Two tomato plants mysteriously appeared in with the pansies! I have planted them out in the garden and hope for the best.

sharon103 Sun 31-May-20 15:56:51

Googles not always right but it says Creeping buttercup.
Type it in google and have a look.

sharon103 Sun 31-May-20 16:00:59

Having said that, it looks as though the plant has seed heads of a poppy.

Chewbacca Sun 31-May-20 16:19:33

Alima, that depends on whether it's already shed some of its seeds. Looking at your photograph it does look as though some of the seedpods are already empty so it's possible they've already been cast to the 4 winds. But nevertheless, the seeds are absolutely miniscule, like black dust, and are very easily distributed by the wind so could blow into your garden from elsewhere. Even if you pull this plant up, the chances of seeds being blow into your garden again, or deposited by birds, is highly likely. But they have a shallow root system and are easy to pull out if you don't want them. I quite like them!

Shrub Sun 31-May-20 16:22:42

Mecanopsis cambrica or Welsh poppy. They appear everywhere if you let them seed. Pretty though.

Chewbacca Sun 31-May-20 16:22:52

It's the Common Welsh Poppy (Papaver cambricum)

Jean321 Sun 31-May-20 16:26:35

Thank you for all the suggestions, I seem to remember my Mum calling them Poppies. Will look it up on Google.

Shrub Sun 31-May-20 16:27:01

We are both right Chewbacca !

Alima Sun 31-May-20 16:27:51

Thank you Chewbacca. I think they look far from common!

CherryCezzy Sun 31-May-20 16:30:22

Yes Chewbacca is spot on, Welsh Poppy. I prefer the orange ones which are lovely. They will appear everywhere if you let them but they can make a cheery display if controlled. Dead head regularly and they keep producing all Summer.

rascal Sun 31-May-20 16:31:20

Islandic Poppy? Have yellow & orange ones here. Lovely and colourful in a shaded corner. smile

Grammaretto Sun 31-May-20 16:35:04

I was also going to say its a welsh poppy. They grow all over our garden too.
When our DD started school they were to draw something yellow (and presumably the other colours too)
She drew that yellow poppy and got told no it was wrong - poppies are red!

How annoying is that.

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 16:37:13

Yep, Welsh poppy!

annodomini Sun 31-May-20 16:41:47

I've always understood that it's a Welsh poppy. They crop up everywhere and I don't begrudge them a space in my garden as they are a cheerful spot of colour and they don't spread underground like buttercups do.

BlueBelle Sun 31-May-20 17:45:19

I ve got lovely lovely Californian poppies all over the garden

glammanana Sun 31-May-20 18:03:47

I've got a little space at the bottom of my garden taken over by these sweet little poppies the colours are delightful

Chewbacca Sun 31-May-20 18:07:00

I've got some of these poppies that have just suddenly appeared under the hedge in my front garden. Obviously blown in or bird dropped and self planted but I'm happy they did. I've seen worse weeds!