Gransnet forums

Gardening

Soil and muck!

(12 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 15:11:23

Hello all, after a bit of advice.

I have 2 very large raised bed/planted type thins, and will be ordering 2 dumpy bags of topsoil tomorrow which I hope will be delivered this week, fingers crossed!

I've also been lucky enough to source some well rotted (hopefully) manure, which will be dropped off later today.

Now, once the soil is delivered and I've managed to get it round to the garden (which may take some time, as somebody left a space too narrow for a wheelbarrow when they were sorting out the fence and the gate confused) do I mix the manure into the soil, or would it be better to do sort of "layers"?

Thank you!

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 15:12:13

Planter, and things! Damn auto correct!

H1954 Sun 09-Aug-20 15:17:18

I don't think you will really need equal quantities of manure to soil to be honest. I would be tempted to find a corner of the garden where the manure could just be dumped ( pardon the pun ) and used when required. And be mindful, some root veggies do not like manured soil at all! Just saying.............my carrots forked and split ?

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 15:24:44

H1954 it definitely won't be equal quantities!

The planters will be used for clematis, (Koreans Amber) a climbing rose (to be decided, but leaning towards New Dawn, honeysuckle and some perennials.

The clematis and rose won't be available until October/November, so plenty of time to plan, but the local supplier of topsoil is very particular! Deliveries can only be booked and scheduled after they have looked at the weather forecast and consulted the runes! grin

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Aug-20 15:30:32

Once your planters are prepared with soil. I would Put the manure on the top and let the worms do the rest.

Very efficient are worms. They will save you a lot if energy

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 15:42:13

Thank you Whitewavemark2 I don't think I'll have much energy once I've moved approximately 2 tons of topsoil by bucket!

Although of course once I've moved quite a bit of it, then hopefully Mr P and I can manhandled the bag with the rest in and tip it in.

Well, that's the plan hmm

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 15:48:58

Right at the beginning of lockdown I spent a week creating a new raised bed that I specifically wanted to be for roses. Previous owners had dumped rubble and black bin liners on it and so the soil had no nutrients for anything to grow. I alternated layers of top soil, compost, manure, top soil, compost, manure. The worms and rain took the top layer of manure down to the bottom. I planted 5 young rose bushes in April and so it's a very new bed but this was taken today. They seem to be flourishing!

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 16:02:34

Love!y, Chewbacca!

J52 Sun 09-Aug-20 16:29:02

Lovely roses, especially the Blue Eyes in the front. I have one and it’s been the best year for flowering.

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 17:10:23

Mucks just been delivered! ? 8 bags of it!

Mr P, being a gentleman, offered to help unload it. I've only just stopped laughing at the expression on his face! grin

midgey Sun 09-Aug-20 17:28:17

Phoenix you can get wheeled bucket type thingies, very handy in smaller spaces
Ketter-Multi-Purpose-Garden-Wheelbarrow.

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 20:04:19

Thank you midgey will Google it and take a look!

PS, love the "wheeled bucket type thingies" description, just the sort of thing I would come out with!