Gransnet forums

Gardening

Patio fruit trees

(12 Posts)
MellowYellow Thu 17-Sep-20 07:54:12

I'm thinking of buying self-fertilising apple and pear trees, grown specifically for patios. Has anyone had success with them? Hard to imagine a two metre tree (eventually) in a tub producing fruit, but the pictures in the adverts look lovely!

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Sep-20 10:26:16

I have no knowledge of this but would be interested to find out!

MellowYellow Thu 17-Sep-20 11:01:06

Ha ha, watch this space!!!

B9exchange Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:57

We were given a step-over apple tree (Google if unsure!) with six apples on it, hoping it will do well next year. We have a gooseberry bush on a long single trunk, but that seems to lose a branch every year.

Greyduster Thu 17-Sep-20 11:43:23

The husband of a lady I used to work with grew dwarf rootstock fruit trees in plastic dustbins in their small courtyard garden. They were very successful and cropped well. I’m not recommending the plastic dustbins if you worry about the aesthetic but they do seem to be the thing for a small space.

MellowYellow Thu 17-Sep-20 12:13:05

Thanks very much Greyduster. The dustbins make me think that the deeper the tubs I can fit in, the better. It figures really....

MellowYellow Fri 18-Sep-20 07:23:59

B9, your message has only just appeared. Thank you, my friend has stepover apple trees planted in her garden. I've ordered three trees (pic attached for info, not as an advert) and my son will deliver compost and very large pots! Now I've got to make space for them on the patio. wink

Marydoll Fri 18-Sep-20 07:37:32

We have three patio trees, a plum, apple and a pear.
We have had them for a few years now.
The plum was killed by heavy frost, we had one pear and two apples this year.
As you can see, there is no point in offering me advice!?

We looked at a patio damson tree the other day, but couldn't understand the instructions about pollinating and gave up!!
I'm sure someone on here will be able to offer advice.

Nannytopsy Fri 18-Sep-20 08:05:13

I have a young damson on a dwarf rootstock. It is very confused and is currently in flower!

NotSpaghetti Fri 18-Sep-20 10:41:06

Oh crikey! ?

MellowYellow Fri 18-Sep-20 14:25:54

Ha ha, sounds like I have a fruity adventure ahead! These three are self-fertilising so that should take care of that.... It'll be fun to give it a go!

NannyC1 Sat 19-Sep-20 15:27:44

I 've bought a lot of patio fruit trees but this is the 1st year so I suppose I won't know till next season.I bought mine off the Van Meuwen website.