Gransnet forums

Gardening

Erm, perhaps a bit on the rampant side??

(50 Posts)
phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 16:38:17

Hello all,

On Monday I planted a honeysuckle, Graham Thomas, in a large raised bed.

A friend has said it will go and below ground as well as above and will spread roots all over the place.hmm

He's suggested I dig it out, put it in a pot, then sink the pot into the bed to limit it a bit. (Rather like you can with bamboo)

Any thoughts?

TIA.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 16:39:25

Sorry, go MAD below ground!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sep-20 16:43:13

No I think that is wrong. I had a Graham Thomas before very high winds completely destroyed it this year. But I had it for 20 years before that. It is a lovely honeysuckle. Yes it is large but nothing you can’t control with pruning. The smell is divine, it gets smothered in bees and red berries for the birds autumn to winter.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 16:52:57

Thank you Whitewavemark2 that's very reassuring! smile

He's a lovely chap, but the sort who knows everything about everything, iykwim! wink

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 16:55:40

I've never heard that recommendation for honeysuckle.

Anyway if it's that rampant, the roots will grow out f the pot anyway!

NotTooOld Thu 24-Sep-20 18:03:11

No, I've never heard that about any variety of honeysuckle. I'd leave it where it is. He's not thinking of Russian Vine, is he? That does tend to go mad, at least it does above ground, I don't know about below ground.

Iam64 Thu 24-Sep-20 18:06:53

I think he is wrong. Honeysuckle tends to stay where it’s put (in my experience)

merlotgran Thu 24-Sep-20 18:08:33

If it's in a raised bed the roots will be confined anyway.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 18:12:27

Thank you all!

According to him, he finds roots from his neighbours honeysuckle in his veg patch!confused

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 18:15:59

merlot not neccessarily, the raised bed has no bottom, we're trying the no dig method!

The beds are just placed on the existing soul and have need filled with topsoil, well rotted manure and compost.

Hopefully when the roots have worked their way through that lot, they will be strong enough to get into the ground below!

annodomini Thu 24-Sep-20 19:33:34

I have a very rampant honeysuckle, but it's all over the fence and there's no sign of its spreading underground - and it's been there for at least 15 years.

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 24-Sep-20 19:46:31

I wish we had planted honeysuckle instead of the Bamboo.
I say We , but it wasn’t me it was DH, he loves it.
I swear at it every time I see another shoot 40 feet away from the main blasted plant. It managed to escape its lined hole and is rampant.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 19:53:41

" Been", filled, not "need"!

Oopsadaisy4 They can travel, can't they! Some are worse than others.

anno another reassuring post, thank you.

I've got some bare root climbing roses on order, but they won't be here until November sad just want to get planting now the beds are ready!

Chewbacca Thu 24-Sep-20 19:57:12

Another here who's never heard if honeysuckle roots being invasive. They spread along fences and hedges, as far as you'll let them go, but their root stock remains where it's planted, in my experience.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 20:00:58

Lovely, Chewbacca, more affirmative posts!

Mr A (friend) seems certain that it's his neighbours honeysuckle roots that he's finding in his veg patch, but must admit I was a bit hmm about it.

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 20:33:14

The roots should go deep, not spread, so if you plant it in a pot and sink it, it may not thrive.

Chewbacca Thu 24-Sep-20 22:14:40

I want to know why, whenever I type of, it keeps coming out as if! That aside, I've just found this Phoenix:

Honeysuckle bushes can be extremely invasive, taking over large areas in a short amount of time. The bushes tend to have shallow root systems, so young to adolescent plants can be hand-pulled when the ground is moist. As with the vines, make sure to get all the roots.

Chewbacca Thu 24-Sep-20 22:20:03

QUESTION:
I'm thinking about buying a honeysuckle bush. I would like to plant it close to my house. Can the roots of this bush cause any damage to the foundation to the house? or next door's veg patch?

ANSWER:
Many honeysuckle shrubs and vines (Lonicera sp.) have shallow and fibrous root systems

Don't know what your "man in the know" has in his veg patch phoenix but it's not honeysuckle roots!

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 22:22:39

Shallow, deep?
confused

Perhaps it depends on whether it is a bush or a climber.
I don't think the roots spread, though.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 22:43:32

Thank you all!

Graham Thomas honeysuckle is definitely a climbing/spreading rampant variety! However I did want one that gives pretty fast cover.

But if it does get a bit ott, then (as mentioned) I expect I can hack it back.

I think I will put secateures (sp?) on my Christmas list!

Chewbacca Thu 24-Sep-20 22:53:07

From what I've read Phoenix, any stragglers are easy enough to rip out with your bare hands. Although a decent pair if secateurs are always lovely to have. hint hint!

Doodle Thu 24-Sep-20 22:53:32

Only phoenix could make planting honeysuckle sound like a violent steamy sex novel what with raised beds, bottomless beds, rampant Graham, bare roots and a fast cover and hacking it off with secateurs. ?

Chewbacca Thu 24-Sep-20 22:53:38

if/of again

Doodle Thu 24-Sep-20 22:54:55

Now Chewys got in the act and is suggesting scenes of mass slaughter.

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 22:57:19

Wait till I tell Graham what you have planned for him.

He's so shy, I know he'll blush