Gransnet forums

Gardening

My Christmas gift from GS

(21 Posts)
ExD Fri 15-Jan-21 13:46:33

How do I care for this plant? The label just says its a 'Jurassic Plant'.
Does it need to be kept dry, does it need sunlight or shade etc?

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jan-21 14:02:10

Looks like an aloe Vera and mine look after themselves ??not much water but light yes

Greyduster Fri 15-Jan-21 14:07:44

I think it’s the same as the one I have on my kitchen windowsill (also a present from GS!). I don’t know what it’s called either (maybe an aloe?) but it seems to thrive on neglect. Very little water, not much in the way of soil because I keep knocking it over, but it goes from strength to strength.

ExD Fri 15-Jan-21 14:21:47

Mine hasn't markings on the 'leaves' like yours greyduster just some white dots but as both you and bbell suggest it looks like an aloe.
THANKYOU
'

Laughterlines Fri 15-Jan-21 14:34:41

If you cut open the leaves the sticky insides are great for sunburn (what’s that’s?) or radiation burn. Apply straight from leaf carefully

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jan-21 16:23:50

It’s a succulent exD and comes from hot Sandy climes it only needs watering sparingly every few weeks the ‘juice’ as laughterlines says is excellent for burns and grazes too it’s very healing it will get babies and these can be carefully cut off and repotted they will grow on
There are quite a lot of shapes and sizers, mine are taller with thinner leaves

MiniMoon Fri 15-Jan-21 17:16:42

If it is aloe juvenna, then this is how to care for it.
Aloe juvenna, Tiger Tooth Aloe, is one of the most beautiful of the smaller Aloes with a white flecked variegation and toothy yet soft spines on the marginal edges of the foliage. Endemic to Kenya it is frost-tender and makes an ideal and dramatic houseplant. It can be placed outdoors in the summer months but - like many succulents - the foliage tends to turn pinkish in the sun and a semi-shady aspect is best to avoid this. It is fast-growing and quickly sends out many offsets, forming an attractive clump with many tall rosettes.

Aloe juvenna looks best in a low wide terra cotta container with a very free-draining substrate that has had plenty of grit, shingle, sand and perlite added to the mix. Indoors it needs to be placed near a window or skylight where it will get as much light as possible. Don't overwater it in the summer and it should not be watered at all during the winter months from October through to March.

Thistlelass Fri 15-Jan-21 19:29:30

Now that's a handy plant! You might get next year's Christmas presents out of it. A type of aloe vera and grows readily. My adult son, who has a mild learning disability/autism was given one in a nice ceramic pot. It grew well and sprouted a good few baby plants! So we took them on off and planted them up. I think there were 4 or 5. He pot tiny little Mexican style ceramic pots. They were gifted to his family at Christmas. So the brother who had given him the Mother plant got back a baby! Enjoy your aloe.

Moggycuddler Sat 16-Jan-21 10:14:16

Yes, it's a variety of aloe but not an aloe vera. Very little water, lots of light. We have several different types on a high shelf (away from the cats) and they have done well for years and grown big. Water only when the compost feels dry and the pot feels "light" and soak from the bottom. (Make sure there's a drainage hole or holes in the pot.) In winter hardly any watering at all.

25Avalon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:16:44

It’s also called Partridge breast Aloe because of the markings and should be treated as a succulent.

TanaMa Sat 16-Jan-21 10:17:49

Be careful when handling if it is an aloe vera - the juice from broken leaves, not only good for sunburn wtc, also gives you diarrhoea if it is taken in the mouth.

Phloembundle Sat 16-Jan-21 10:23:19

It's an aloe. It needs very little water and will produce lots of babies which you can pot up. It will occasionally produce a pink flower on a tall stem. I ended up with lots of extra plants which I gave to my local hospice to sell. Remove the offshoots as they occur or the main plant will put it's energy into them and not grow very big. You can give it some baby bio in spring and summer.

Magrithea Sat 16-Jan-21 10:31:55

forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/995340/what-do-i-do-with-my-jurassic-plant

dorabelle100 Sat 16-Jan-21 11:01:51

i keep chopping bits off mine and rubbing juice into a bald patch - hoping for regrowth

4allweknow Sat 16-Jan-21 11:03:26

As Bluebell and others have said if its an aloevera the flesh is good for sunburn. In the Caribbean you just find a plant though they are much much bigger, cut off a leaf and squeeze the juice into a container and you have sunburn relief. Did come across some very red and sore holidaymakers who thought this was for sun protection!

Happysexagenarian Sat 16-Jan-21 11:21:47

It's an Aloe Vera, I have one in the kitchen. As others have said sap from the cut leaves is very soothing for minor burns.

Canalboatgranma Sat 16-Jan-21 12:40:41

Misread the title, thought you wanted to care for the planet. Sorry don't know much about plants.

moggie57 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:09:35

aloe vera .water once a week and lots of light ..

lizzypopbottle Sat 16-Jan-21 13:20:57

I read, "How do I care for this planet?" so I thought it was about the environment... ?

Aepgirl Sat 16-Jan-21 14:00:29

Yes, it’s an aloe Vera. Water it when you remember, but not too much. They look after themselves, but do get very large.

GreenGran78 Sun 17-Jan-21 00:35:50

I have several, and they thrive on neglect. Sadly the Venus flytrap plant that I was gifted did very well until the chilly weather came, and now looks as though it has shrivelled up and died, even though the house is usually quite warm. I have tried it in various places, but it think it’s had it!
Does anyone have any experience of these? I’m wondering if it will spring back to life when Spring comes.