Gransnet forums

Gardening

Cut my lawn today

(25 Posts)
tanith Fri 26-Feb-21 21:06:22

Anyone else? I had misgiving but after searching online it seems it’s ok to cut as long as you do a high cut. The garden looks so much better now.

winterwhite Fri 26-Feb-21 21:14:13

Doing mine tomorrow, weaving carefully round the crocuses. I feel uncertain too but neighbours cut theirs last weekend and it looks fine.

Grannybags Fri 26-Feb-21 21:27:56

I've been itching to ours but haven't been "allowed" yet.

I'm doing it this weekend whatever happens!

Lillie Fri 26-Feb-21 21:30:15

I think ours will have a cut this weekend too.

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Feb-21 22:22:29

Husband cut ours on Tuesday, looks a lot better, can lawn mean moss please? ?

tanith Fri 26-Feb-21 22:24:26

I’ve got plenty of moss in my lawn jaxjacky I’ll put some treatment on it in the next few weeks.

Maggymay Fri 26-Feb-21 23:24:04

Mowed our lawn yesterday and today DH tidied the borders looks do much better.

Nannytopsy Fri 26-Feb-21 23:31:37

Ours will get done in the next day or two. I have heard lawn mowers around us today.

Nanawind Fri 26-Feb-21 23:57:46

DH did ours today. Last weekend the local bowling green had its second cut of the year.

Farmor15 Sat 27-Feb-21 20:27:08

Did mine yesterday, high cut, but will go back in a week or so and do it closer to start tackling the moss.

SpringyChicken Sat 27-Feb-21 20:52:16

Ours had it's second cut today. The first was about two and a half weeks ago.

Pantglas2 Sat 27-Feb-21 20:56:17

DH also did our little handkerchief today on a high cut, apparently....?‍♀️

Washerwoman Sat 27-Feb-21 21:00:30

Cutting ours tomorrow.Good to know there are still some real lawns out there. I love to see it spring back to life and the blackbirds pulling worms.I find the thread on artificial grass depressing,I can understand in extreme circumstances.Disability or a very badly situated garden.But near me so many are installing it and lots of hard landscaping.No wonder wildlife is in crisis and flooding increasing.

muse Sat 27-Feb-21 21:07:54

Very tempted today but most of ours is still too soft underfoot to take the weight of the mower. We're on clay soil and it's not very even.

Washerwoman. Agree, it's such a shame.

tanith Sat 27-Feb-21 21:11:28

I see lots of you have moss as do I, I used an organic moss killer last year and it was very successful, no black funky dead moss and it feeds the grass. My lawn is much better but I have patches that never get direct sunlight so the moss has returned in places.

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Feb-21 22:03:18

tanith really not fussed with our moss, it’s green, unless my DH decides, as he threatens, to create a putting green, it can stay as is.

HurdyGurdy Sat 27-Feb-21 23:20:33

Husband did the first cut today - just taking the fluff off, apparently.

He said if it's still nice tomorrow, he'll have another go, on a slightly shorter cut.

The new lawnmower arrives on Monday or Tuesday, so like a kid with a new toy, he will be out with it again early next week lol .

I had been getting disproportionately irritated every time I looked out of the kitchen window at all the long long long grass. I do like a neatly cut lawn smile so I was very pleased when he said he was going to give it a long cut.

JaneJudge Sat 27-Feb-21 23:24:39

we have as well but we have a mulcher on the mower grin

missingmarietta Sun 28-Feb-21 14:36:41

Mowed mine on Friday too. I had to get to it before cat/s start using the longer grass as a toilet. Very unpleasant.

It looks so much better now too. never mown in February before.

rockgran Sun 28-Feb-21 15:11:14

Did ours on Friday - looks great. Never have any problems with our lawns - they seem to be indestructible. I really enjoyed the fresh air and exercise too. Spring has sprung!sunshine

Alioop Mon 01-Mar-21 18:43:11

My grass has had its second cut. It was up to the top of poor dogs legs, so the lawnmower came out. It looks so tidy now and I noticed today when I went for a walk a lot have been out over the weekend cutting theirs too.

BlueSapphire Sat 13-Mar-21 12:26:36

Done mine twice now, and will gradually lower the blades. Got loads of moss, but at least it's green, so it can stay. Apparently, according to Monty Don,
the Japanese love a moss lawn.

Amberone Sat 13-Mar-21 13:10:45

Gave ours a second cut last Tuesday, as it looked like rain on Wednesday and every day after. I also put some grass seed down on the muddy patches, more in hope than expectation as it's still a bit cool, but some of it seems to have taken and there are tiny bits of grass.

Boogaloo Tue 16-Mar-21 23:50:18

Wow! Cutting lawns already in England.. I live in an area with a very cold winter climate and so my lawn is still mostly dormant. It takes longer for plants to recover from winter here although I did notice some parts of the lawn have started to turn green, but it won't need cutting for about another three weeks. I do have lovely purple crocuses opened up, so Spring is coming. I love this time of year.

CanadianGran Wed 17-Mar-21 02:13:24

Not yet for us either. We are at the crocus and snowdrop stage still. Just saw our first robins the other day, that was lovely!