Gransnet forums

Gardening

Electric Weed Burners

(11 Posts)
spottysocks Sun 28-Feb-21 17:00:39

I quite fancy buying one of these to control the invasive weeds in our garden. Wondering if anyone else has one and if they're any good? smile

We get a lot of unwanted soapwort that shoots up from underneath the shingle and spreads onto the surrounding grass and grape hyacinth just everywhere in the boarders in the Spring/Summer and I'm losing the battle!

Grandmabatty Sun 28-Feb-21 17:52:19

My neighbour has one to keep their drive pristine and it works beautifully. I'm very jealous.

LadyGracie Sun 28-Feb-21 19:13:00

We’ve got one that’s operated with a gas canister, very effective on our block paved drive.

Niobe Sun 28-Feb-21 19:32:37

I’ve just seen the electric weed burner in the Stotts of Stowe catalogue and am very tempted to get one.

mcem Sun 28-Feb-21 19:44:52

Bought one last summer (gas canister). Very disappointing results!

midgey Sun 28-Feb-21 20:45:14

I have got one. They can be excellent for some weeds, for others ....well my horsetails just have burnt tops! I got mine from eBay.

M0nica Sun 28-Feb-21 21:48:13

I have had a gas burner for about 3 years. I find it an efficient way of getting rid of small weeds, in between brick and slab paving, but dandelions, and grass takes several burns to eliminate. But it is useless on flower beds and the great big dandelion and grass clumps you get in open soil.

I also use it on a gravel drive, but it is slow work and I usually start the year, in fact any day now, by using Pathclear on the gravel and using the burner to cope with any regrowth through the summer. It is fairly slow.

geekesse Sun 28-Feb-21 21:56:18

I borrowed a petrol powered flame thrower a good few years back - it made short work of a badly overgrown allotment. I can’t imagine how an electric one might work.

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Feb-21 22:05:04

The problem is they kill the top foliage, but not the roots, so weeds often return.

M0nica Mon 01-Mar-21 07:54:51

geekesse You were using the real McKoy, the little wands. elelectric or gas, couldn't even begin to do that kind of job.

They are fine, for keeping weeds down on hard surfaces, but anything else they cannot cope with.

Jaxjacky I find the weed roots go if, you concentrate the flame on the weed for 20-30 seconds and reburn any new top growth for a couple of weeks. I got rid of a couple of intractable dandelions that way.

spottysocks Mon 01-Mar-21 11:20:43

Thanks everyone smile it sounds as if it won't be ideal for weeding the flower beds so I'll just have to continue pulling up the Soapwort up by hand on the shingle and dig up or hoe the flower beds as soon as they appear to keep control.