Gransnet forums

Gardening

Birds/birding

(38 Posts)
CanadianGran Tue 04-May-21 23:44:16

While I am not a dedicated bird watcher, and do not know all the species in my area, I consider myself an amateur.

I did spot the first barn swallows of the season today, and that makes me happy. I also saw some geese that were different than the normal Canada geese; when I looked them up they were Greater White Fronted geese.

So handy to have an app to help figure out the species. I use Ebird.

Nannytopsy Tue 04-May-21 23:48:32

I saw the first swifts of the season in Suffolk today.

Redhead56 Tue 04-May-21 23:50:21

Canada geese flying over yesterday and the first swift a wonderful sight on Merseyside.

crazyH Tue 04-May-21 23:59:34

Forgive my ignorance - Canada geese in Merseyside ?

Redhead56 Wed 05-May-21 00:04:52

Why would they not be ?

Redhead56 Wed 05-May-21 00:06:32

I have watched and counted birds for the Ornithology society for quite a few years now.

crazyH Wed 05-May-21 00:23:49

Redhead, I wasn’t doubting you ..... I was just wondering, that’s all. I know nothing about birds. Apologies .

nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 00:27:43

I love watching the birds. Strictly amateur but I get excited when we have different species from normal. I saw a couple of gang gang cockatoos last week, couldn’t stop thinking about those beautiful birds. We only see them about once a year. How wonderful to see Canada geese.

nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 00:30:32

During lockdown a small group of us started a bird recording thing on Facebook. We were just allowed to walk 5 km from home and we would post pics of the different birds we came across. It was fabulous, really cheered me up. It was almost as if the birds appeared specially for us!

CanadianGran Wed 05-May-21 03:20:33

Nannn8, that is fun. Just something different to look for when you are out for your walk. I find there are so many little smaller songbirds that move too quickly for me to identify, so taking a photo and looking them up later is what I do.

I'm planning on doing the same this year for native plants; really look at them and find out what they are!

kittylester Wed 05-May-21 06:43:10

For mother's day I was given a new ornamental bird feeder which prompted us to rethink our bird feeding protocols. We no longer have bird table but rather have a few more 'feeding stations.

Not sure if it is a result of that but we have recently had a woodpecker and a nut hatch in the garden.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 06:49:13

We are used as a station by the starlings travelling from their roost on the piers and marinas etc to the South Downs to feed. Soon if not today even - there will be extremely noisy babies in the garden demanding to be fed.

It costs a fortune.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 06:50:14

We put out dried meal worms and suet amongst other stuff which are hoovered up in a second.

kittylester Wed 05-May-21 07:43:17

It's the meal worms that have been the biggest success here! Might try the suet!

Fatballs go pretty quickly too!

Gingster Wed 05-May-21 07:54:26

I heard the cuckoo in Suffolk two weeks ago. No.2 son, when he was small, used to say ‘Rogers back’ ! No idea why he called the cuckoo Roger.

grandmajet Wed 05-May-21 07:59:27

Sunflower hearts are a great hit too, bringing goldfinches, tits, spotted woodpeckers. I love them. We have some young robins at the moment being fed by an adult. They are as big as she is!

FannyCornforth Wed 05-May-21 08:44:42

I've got housemartins nesting above my bedroom window.
Different generations come back from Africa every single year.
It's miraculous and beautiful.
They are very vocal, and chirrup to each other constantly while they are in the nest.
I love them ?

FannyCornforth Wed 05-May-21 08:45:43

Gingster

I heard the cuckoo in Suffolk two weeks ago. No.2 son, when he was small, used to say ‘Rogers back’ ! No idea why he called the cuckoo Roger.

That is so sweet!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 09:14:34

Suet nibbles is what I use. But honestly the cost, it is embarrassing.

shysal Wed 05-May-21 09:20:40

I was very disappointed to have to stop feeding the birds and badgers because of a rat problem, I miss them.

hazel93 Wed 05-May-21 09:25:15

I love to see the first swallows arriving , about a month ago now, they seem so happy to have made it here and give a mesmerising display before moving on to more open country.
So far we have blackbird fledglings still asking to be fed even though sitting on the bird table ! Parents now becoming pi**ed off and generally ignoring them. Still another blackbird nest yet to fledge.
The robins are done and dusted - two broods raised and on their way.

Shelflife Wed 05-May-21 09:38:58

Had some beautiful long tailed tits , so pretty with their pinkish plumage. The house martins have not returned - yet , on their way I hope . Favourite bird has to be the Goldfinch .

MaizieD Wed 05-May-21 14:45:36

No swallows for me in the NE, but they were very late last year and not many of them. So I haven't given up hope yet.

When I tried putting mealworms out for the birds they turned up their noses at them. grin So I stick to mixed grains/seeds, peanuts and fatballs.

Being pretty rural we get lots of bird life. My favourites last year were a pair of Little Owls, who were very active in the day, and brought up a couple of chicks. They used to shriek very loudly at my cat whenever they spotted him. Quite different from their usual call.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 14:58:19

maizie? little owls! The nearest we get is seeing barn owls on summer evenings when out walking.

Lots of swifts on a walk around a reservoir a couple of weeks ago. They seem to be playing with each other. Pre- pairing I guess.

Parsley3 Wed 05-May-21 14:58:40

birdNET is a very useful little app for identifying birdsongs.