Gardening

Does anyone know what this plant is?

(18 Posts)
Grany Wed 16-Jun-21 10:09:30

It's growing amongst my wildflowers quite big. It could be a weed no flowers

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Jun-21 10:14:39

Is it a type of foxglove?

Kalu Wed 16-Jun-21 10:17:09

Hi Grany I am sure that is a Verbascum species. It’s a biennial with small yellow flowers and can grow to 120cm or more.

25Avalon Wed 16-Jun-21 10:27:13

Wild or giant Mullein which is in the verbascum family. It will grow very tall with a yellow flower.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 10:52:59

I have a question rather than an answer, Grany

Is that a wild area of lawn or is it a wild border with soil?
I'm not having much success with any wild seeds I've out in although I have a lot of interesting plants in an area of uncut lawn including fox and cubs.

Redhead56 Wed 16-Jun-21 11:25:14

I had sprouting all my garden but let one grow on it’s a beautiful pink foxglove I am sorry I pulled the others out.

Grany Wed 16-Jun-21 12:12:41

Thank you Kalu and 25Avlon

I look forward to seeing its yellow flower

Callistemon It is a border of wild flowers I am very lucky lots of poppy and daisy and a mix of others pinks and blues. I grew from seed last year this is second year they're come up.

The soil has to be unfertilised nothing added just watering. I have a lawn too.

Just added a washing-up bowl as a little pond to this small garden attract wild life So wild flowers and wildlife am doing my bit to help nature.
Will add white stones around pond.

marshmarigold132 Wed 16-Jun-21 14:25:36

Is this a weed?

25Avalon Wed 16-Jun-21 14:50:37

No that’s Linaria. It comes in white, pink or the mauve which you have. It self seeds very quickly but is easily pulled up if you don’t want it in a particular spot or when it dies back.

marshmarigold132 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:39:01

Thanks I like so will leave it there at moment.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 15:50:21

Grany
I am trying with another little area now with poppy and cornflower seeds etc
The area of lawn can do its own thing now, I think, rather than trying to sow wildflowers.

Kali2 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:53:46

the key with either is to dead head after flowering if you don't want them spreading.

Weed or not weed? Who is to say? Some of our most prized plants are weeds somewhere else in the world, and vice-versa.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 15:58:00

I do go round dead heading the dandelions otherwise we'd be over-run with them.
Although our neighbours have a lovely "cultivated" wild garden they did mention getting rid of dandelions.

BlueBelle Wed 16-Jun-21 16:02:27

What is a weed ? A flower is a flower whatever we deem to call it
I have let all my so called weeds grow this year and have some beauties
Red campion in the photo many call it a weed some call it a wild flower but it’s a beautiful flower whatever term we give it

Whiff Thu 17-Jun-21 07:11:42

Red campion is very good for bees and butterflies. Birds like the seeds . I grow it and various other flowers which can be called wild flowers or weeds . Depending on what sort of a gardener you are. I am a novice at gardening but like a higgly piggly garden . Hate regimented gardens . Things growing close together cuts down on weeds.

Nannytopsy Thu 17-Jun-21 08:19:04

garden.
You would be happy in our garden then Whiff !

Nannytopsy Thu 17-Jun-21 08:20:00

That didn’t work! If you like a higgledy garden ...

MaizieD Thu 17-Jun-21 08:35:16

Nannytopsy

garden.
You would be happy in our garden then Whiff !

And in mine! I call it a 'Serendipity' garden, though ?

I'm afraid my weeds haven't read the theory that they're crowded out by thick planting of desired plants. They fight back boldly...