Gransnet forums

Gardening

removing hollyhocks

(6 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 04-Aug-21 14:13:50

Anyone got tips to make this easier. I have so many in my garden now and want to get rid of some especially as they will probably start to seed very soon. They are really hard to try and pull out and wondered if anyone knew an easy way???

shysal Wed 04-Aug-21 17:33:39

Sorry, I can't help. I have the opposite problem as they won't self-seed in my garden. Just thought I would bump this for you.

love0c Wed 04-Aug-21 18:03:09

travelsafar I love hollyhocks. I have tried a few times and can not keep them in my garden. Slugs, cats/squirrels, anything and everything seems to ruin them! ha ha.

ayse Wed 04-Aug-21 18:05:43

Maybe you could stop them throwing seeds by taking the spent flower heads off? At least that could stop a further proliferation.

Septimia Wed 04-Aug-21 18:38:35

We found a couple of strange plants growing in our garden and thought they'd come from stray bird seed. We pulled one up without any difficulty. The other was about to flower so we left it to see what it was. We were surprised to find it was a hollyhock as we'd been trying to get some to grow for ages.

Perhaps they'll pull up more easily if you catch them when they're small. Certainly take the seed heads off to reduce the number.

B9exchange Wed 04-Aug-21 18:52:51

I do envy you, I love hollyhocks, and never been able to grow them in our garden