Gransnet forums

Gardening

Lawns

(56 Posts)
User7777 Wed 22-Sep-21 01:09:53

Am I the only one who feeds my lawn. All around me the front lawns are cut regularly. The lawns look brownish afterwards, though very neat. My lawn looks dark green after cutting. I pay someone to feed it and cut it. Does anyone else have lush green lawns...

Beechnut Wed 22-Sep-21 06:35:58

My neighbour has a lovely lawn after having someone in to feed it etc. Before that it was worse than mine with a big bare patch. Mine is very odd with a lot of weed.

NotAGran55 Wed 22-Sep-21 06:39:02

For lawn fans this TV show is great ?

www.channel5.com/show/lawn-order-keep-of-the-grass/

Lexisgranny Wed 22-Sep-21 06:53:04

A few years back our lawns suddenly became a mass of daisies, with the odd patch of white clover and no matter what we put on it, they came back. Then we took out a contract with a company that feeds and pampers it regularly. This company treats the majority of lawns in our neighbourhood. The daisies and clover have disappeared, and we have dark green grass again. I only wish the creeping wood sorrel that is now growing through some of our flower beds could be got rid of so easily.

tanith Wed 22-Sep-21 07:48:16

I feed mine once a year also put an eco bacterial moss killer in the spring it’s very green but having said that neither of my neighbours ever feed their lawns and they are both equally as green.

shysal Wed 22-Sep-21 08:04:02

I use Mo Bacter in the spring and autumn, which give a lush green, kills moss without blackening and digests it , therefore needing no scarifying. However, it doesn't help the numerous mole hills that have popped up recently!

tanith Wed 22-Sep-21 08:20:16

shysal that’s the one I use and it’s brilliant. Sorry about your molehills happily I don’t get that problem.

Scones Wed 22-Sep-21 09:27:54

We don't feed our lawn but we do have a mulch plug on the mower that chops up the grass as it cuts it and redistributes it onto the lawn to feed it.

We like the daisies, buttercups, achillea, clover etc and the garden is full of bees, butterflies and other pollinators as a result. We also have dogs, playing children hedgehogs, toads, voles and birds and we don't want to subject them all to heaven knows what chemicals.

Shelbel Wed 22-Sep-21 09:43:38

I'm not a fan of lawns. The small amount I have is just there as a path and for blackbirds to pull out worms.

I'm a plant and nature person and lawns look like a wasted opportunity to me. Plus, I don't like the idea of the chemicals and water used to maintain them.

That's just my opinion but I would like to say that I'm glad you are enjoying your lawn. smile

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 10:21:45

No, our lawns are full of interesting 'weeds'.
Daisies, violets, oregano, fox and cubs, cornflowers, viper's bugloss etc, even a cowslip. I let some of it grow in the summer.
I do object to dandelions.

Very pretty in between fortnightly mows.

ninathenana Wed 22-Sep-21 10:28:16

Ours is fed, weeded and scarified on a regular basis. My husband cuts lawns for other people and suggests if your lawn looks brown after cutting, your mower blades are too low.

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Sep-21 10:33:20

I wouldn’t dream of paying to nurture a pristine lawn. Ours is full of clover and daisies, bees love it.

Elless Wed 22-Sep-21 10:55:24

I feed my lawn and will definitely try Mo Bacter, sounds really good. I hate the fact that our neighbours don't look after their lawn and let all the weeds go to seed which then blow onto our lawn.

Granny23 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:00:52

I don't have a lawn - I have a drying green. It also serves as a play area for DGC, often housing a tent or gazebo, a swing, a water slide or paddling pool, most years a big snowperson. It's best use is at Easter, as being on a slope, it is ideal for egg rolling.

I have never understood the attraction of an immaculate lawn. Seems like a waste of space to me.

tanith Wed 22-Sep-21 11:09:09

I don’t use the weed and feed it’s just a feed, I actually like the daises and clover that come up I just feed and use the bacterial moss killer as I have loads in the spring it’s by no means immaculate just moss free and green.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 11:13:00

Elless

I feed my lawn and will definitely try Mo Bacter, sounds really good. I hate the fact that our neighbours don't look after their lawn and let all the weeds go to seed which then blow onto our lawn.

Our neighbours have lovely weeds wild flowers in their garden too.
It doesn't look neglected, there is an art to it.

Elless Wed 22-Sep-21 12:28:34

Callistemon you don't know our neighbours haha, they haven't got a clue about gardening and have a massive amount of garden. They planted a silver birch tree right next to the house thinking it was a small ornamental bush, I had to warn them about the size it would grow and possible root damage to the house.
I agree though a wildflower garden is beautiful, I keep thinking of doing a patch.

Esspee Wed 22-Sep-21 13:07:34

OH was away for the weekend. I fed the lawn (I call it the grass) and now he has declared that as I fed it I have to cut it.confused

Sofa Wed 22-Sep-21 13:12:05

Our lawn has three different treatments throughout the year by the person who cuts the grass.

Zoejory Wed 22-Sep-21 13:14:17

I'm another who likes the weeds that crop up at different times of the year. And we have a marvellous array of snowdrops in the spring that pop up through the grass.

I doubt my 3 hedgehogs would be impressed with a pristine lawn either!

Hetty58 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:20:44

I just have three lawns, with weeds, that look about the same as the rest around here. I just about keep up with the cutting, so the thought of feeding them, maybe making them grow even faster - doesn't appeal.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Sep-21 13:21:19

So refreshing to see that there are still a few of us who still care about nature
My friend has the most beautiful camomile lawn.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 14:06:55

Elless

Callistemon you don't know our neighbours haha, they haven't got a clue about gardening and have a massive amount of garden. They planted a silver birch tree right next to the house thinking it was a small ornamental bush, I had to warn them about the size it would grow and possible root damage to the house.
I agree though a wildflower garden is beautiful, I keep thinking of doing a patch.

Oh dear!

Having a wildflower area is harder work than having a lawn!

When we moved to our last house there was a lovely tree about a foot from the front window so we did have it removed- and upset all our new neighbours.
The previous people had planted it there in the tiny front garden and everyone loved it but they didn't have to live with it.

My friend has the most beautiful camomile lawn.
That sounds lovely, MerylStreep

Daisend1 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:10:58

Chance would be a fine thing..Not from of trying but no one seems to* want the job*.sad

tidyskatemum Wed 22-Sep-21 14:24:19

We’ve just moved into a house with a big back garden and are dreading tackling it. The garden is on quite a slope, almost entirely grass which is knee high in places and with patches of dock in others. DH has ordered a heavy duty strimmer but with the amount of rain that’s bucketing down just now he won’t be doing anything for a while.