Gransnet forums

Gardening

RHS Chelsea: Carol Klein.

(19 Posts)
Santana Wed 22-Sep-21 09:47:51

Great to see the Chelsea flower show back and with a new autumn twist.
Have to say that I do like Carol Klein, even if she gets a bit 'Ken Dodd' whilst presenting. Just wish she would clean her nails! Dressed in all her finery for the opening day, and the the close up of her fingers cradling a flower, and she has half the garden under her nails.
Can't imagine Rachel De Thame doing that!

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 22-Sep-21 09:49:01

I appreciate her knowledge of all things horticultural , but I’m afraid I can’t watch her, all that gurning puts me off.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 09:50:49

Just as an aside, that is her Chelsea coat - she wears it every year for years.

Good on her I say.

Windsmoor - that is no more?

Grandmabatty Wed 22-Sep-21 10:05:16

I'm sure she's very knowledgeable, however I mute her as she's too over the top for me.

merlotgran Wed 22-Sep-21 10:05:52

It’s lovely to have Chelsea back but I don’t feel at all inspired like I do in the spring when I can’t wait to get cracking.

Carol’s outfit gives me a headache ?

Santana Wed 22-Sep-21 10:14:13

I watched her in her own short series based in her garden, and she was much more relaxed and natural.
Very knowledgeable.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 10:15:36

I was very impressed by the clematis man.
Ours have been dismal this year and some have died.

LauraNorder Wed 22-Sep-21 10:19:26

Love RHS Chelsea, I agree it’s not quite as inspiring at this time of year, bluddy covid.
Our clematis have wilted too Callistemon as has Orlin.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 10:24:32

Our largest spring flowering clematis has revived and even has two flowers now.

I hope Orlin perks up too, LauraNorder

Shrub Wed 22-Sep-21 10:28:46

I’ve never been a fan of Chelsea or Carol Klein but she was better in her own series, I agree.

JaneJudge Wed 22-Sep-21 10:33:52

Callistemon

I was very impressed by the clematis man.
Ours have been dismal this year and some have died.

My husband was very impressed with clematis man too grin

I really admire Carol Klein. She had a very ordinary upbringing and worked in a department store before training as a teacher later on and having a family. The fact she ran her own nursery and has ended up on our screens is actually remarkable. I find her very personable as well as inspiring smile

I'm her no 1 fan grin

toscalily Wed 22-Sep-21 10:48:29

I found the Clematis man interesting, what lengths they had to go to have flowering later. The display looked beautiful, so many that I would like to have. I think three Chelsea show broadcasts a day is a bit OTT, I just watched one.

Atqui Wed 22-Sep-21 12:40:58

I admire Carol Klein but find her irritating. It’s a good thing we all like different people.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:52:29

I like her - and gardeners get mud under their nails, don't they?

Casdon Wed 22-Sep-21 13:14:12

To be fair Rachel de Thame sets a high bar in the elegant lady gardener stakes, I can’t think of anybody else like her. I like Carol Klein though, she’s very knowledgeable, and passionate about her subject which is why she sometimes gets carried away.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:29:06

Casdon

To be fair Rachel de Thame sets a high bar in the elegant lady gardener stakes, I can’t think of anybody else like her. I like Carol Klein though, she’s very knowledgeable, and passionate about her subject which is why she sometimes gets carried away.

Wasn’t she a model?

25Avalon Wed 22-Sep-21 16:25:02

I can’t stand either Carol Klein or Joe Swift’s posturing but at least Carol has knowledge and experience. I can’t say I have found the current overall coverage very exciting.

JaneJudge Wed 22-Sep-21 16:30:47

Yes, Rachel was a model

ginny Wed 22-Sep-21 16:44:34

I’m sure Carol is a very nice lady but the TV goes off when she appears.