Gransnet forums

Gardening

Gladies

(8 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 23-Oct-21 12:09:58

I ve got some gladioli s that got dashed and virtually pulled out the ground with the recent high winds I do want to move them anyway should I replant straight away or dry them over winter and replant in spring
Thanks you wise people

Kim19 Sat 23-Oct-21 13:24:39

No claims to.wisdom here, B, but I would put them straight back in. Foliage cut down, of course.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 23-Oct-21 13:45:08

No wisdom here either but I would also just put them back in where you want them. Not sure about cutting foliage back yet, they might need it until it dies back naturally to feed the corms for next year?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 23-Oct-21 14:07:41

I unexpectedly had one pop up last November in a large pot in the front garden, dont know how ……
Anyway, after flowering over Christmas I cut the flower spike back as each flower died. As the stem died I cut it back down to the soil.
This year it flowered again at the normal time, it’s a beautiful fuschia pink.
I’m going to leave it overwintering in the pot again.

muse Sat 23-Oct-21 14:09:53

I love my glads and this has come from my dad who grew them for mum. Loved seeing them in the house.

Yesterday I took up all mine up and cut them back to 4". I do this every year. I store them hung up in the shed.

First year of growing them, I lost over half. If I could be sure of no frost, I'd leave them in the ground and let the leaves die back. Even though I live in Cornwall, we do get frosts. Very severe ones some winters.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Oct-21 14:22:34

I had a feeling I had seen my grandad hanging them up in the shed when I was a tiddler I used to hang around grandads shed when we went to visit
Do you then put them in when the frosts have finished say March /April muse ?

Granny23 Sat 23-Oct-21 14:36:22

Last 2 years, I have wrapped them up in the popper packing you get in parcels and they have survived frost and snow beautifully.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Oct-21 14:43:10

Ohh so there’s a new idea granny I ve got some of that insulation stuff that my oven came in could I crumble that around them do you think Sone are already up so they can hang in the conservatory but the ones that have stayed in I could cover if that’s an acceptable way of doing it