Gransnet forums

Gardening

terracotta flowers pots

(25 Posts)
giulia Tue 17-May-22 05:38:02

I am out of smaller-sized terracotta pots, which I prefer to plastic outside as they look nicer, are less likely to blow over and plant roots "breathe" better.

I couldn't understand why all the garden centres around me seemed to be out of stock. Was just told they didn't know when they'd have them back.

But yesterday I got the truth. The will NOT be back due to the high cost of energy now. These, as all products which require a furnace are just too costly to produce! I hadn't realised.

However, I did know that the first industry to go down for this reason is, sadly, the famous Venetian glass-blowing sector. These artisans are all closing shop.

Baggs Tue 17-May-22 06:24:15

Venetian glass-blowing in Venice, I presume, giulia?

Casdon Tue 17-May-22 06:30:15

Try Weston Mill Pottery, UK made terracotta pots guilia, they do mail order and there’s loads of choice.

giulia Tue 17-May-22 06:57:51

Baggs

Venetian glass-blowing in Venice, I presume, giulia?

Yes. Murano. Very very sad.

giulia Tue 17-May-22 06:59:08

Casdon

Try Weston Mill Pottery, UK made terracotta pots guilia, they do mail order and there’s loads of choice.

Thank you. Will look them up but, with Brexit, will probably be very expensive. However, in desperation....

J52 Tue 17-May-22 07:29:18

I don’t know if you have any antique Salvage emporiums near you. They often have old terracotta pots. Worth keeping an eye out, I’ve often picked up the smaller ones for around£1.
Auriculas look best in them.

Nannytopsy Tue 17-May-22 08:13:42

Our local garden auction has boxes each week. Perhaps I need to start stock piling!

henetha Tue 17-May-22 09:52:02

Our local tip (recycling centre) has a shop where you can often find various old garden pots amongst millions of other things.
And they sell them very cheaply.
Always worth a look.

giulia Tue 17-May-22 12:28:32

Forgot to say I live in Italy. Our energy costs have risen more than 100% since the start of the year. Probably situation not so bad in UK.

But anyway...stock up and take care of these modest articles from now on.

Esmay Tue 17-May-22 16:43:34

Hi Giulia ,

Not terracotta - I know, but have you considered making making cement pots ?

Plenty of advice on YouTube if you goggle it .
I haven't tried it yet .
But I want to make some cement steping stones from cement so that I stop standing on plants when weeding.
It was that thought yesterday inspired me .

Good Luck !

Kate1949 Tue 17-May-22 16:53:49

Oh what a shame. We went around a fabulous glass factory/shop in Murano. Such beautiful items.

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 16:59:58

Oh dear

I'll treasure the pots I have, then, hoping most are frost-proof.

My azaleas were transferred to plastic pots (terracotta coloured) because I like to move them when they've finished flowering and can't readily lift terracotta ones.
They look fine (especially from a little distance).

giulia Tue 17-May-22 19:51:54

Esmay

Hi Giulia ,

Not terracotta - I know, but have you considered making making cement pots ?

Plenty of advice on YouTube if you goggle it .
I haven't tried it yet .
But I want to make some cement steping stones from cement so that I stop standing on plants when weeding.
It was that thought yesterday inspired me .

Good Luck !

My Goodness, Esmay! I'd never have thought of that and you are right about there being instructions online.

However, I wouldn't have anywhere to mix the stuff it would be far too much for my needs: I just need a few LITTLE pots. These all look very large and heavy.

I have some large round stone circles to stand so as not to step on plants when weeding. Found them in a garden centre. You might try asking. Also, if you have a gardening kneeler, you can stand on that if not too narrow? Or a bit of wooden plank?

Good luck to you too with your stepping stones!

Esmay Tue 17-May-22 21:08:43

Hi Giulia ,

I looked at my big semi circular flower bed today and it's really hard to weed .
I replanted it last year and still waiting for the iris to establish themselves by producing plenty of green leaves to feed the rhizomes .
Cats have dug up several of them .
The spaces in between are quite small . I had small sections of wood before -it wasn't very successful .I slipped off them . I tried with a kneeler .My knees weren't happy !

I just need a day in which I can make and put in the stones ! The pattern should prevent my slipping off .

I should really have a raised bed made .

It's a great shame about the terracotta pots .
I hope that you find a solution .
Wishing you happy gardening !

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 22:15:06

Esmay
I knew someone once who had a wonderful well-packed herbaceous border; she said she only got in there once a year before everything started sprouting up to give it a good weeding.

LOUISA1523 Wed 18-May-22 08:03:47

I got some small terracotta ceramic pots in b and q last week just over a pound each....they had 5 different sizes

Esmay Wed 18-May-22 08:17:40

Callistemon -
I would leave the border but unless iris rhizomes of the germinca type are able to bathe in sunshine -they won't bloom !

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 14:36:52

Esmay

Callistemon -
I would leave the border but unless iris rhizomes of the germinca type are able to bathe in sunshine -they won't bloom !

Mine look splendid this year - it must be all the sun we had in April!

Just going over now.

Esmay Thu 19-May-22 09:25:59

Hi Callistemon ,

Your iris would have set those flowers initials during August last year !

Mine were interrupted.

I had to dig them up in order to accommodate my new garden buildings and also I rescued dozens from my old garden .

Most are developing a root system and leaves and won't bloom until next May !

Those which were not disturbed (my historics )have bloomed or are blooming but the heavy rain has compromised the petals .

Iris are easy to grow ,but no sunshine on their rhizomes means no flowers .

Esmay Thu 19-May-22 09:26:43

Flower initials - I mean

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 10:16:44

They are facing south, Esmay and have been in there for years.

Esmay Thu 19-May-22 11:30:42

That's great !
Less work for you !

I think that you are growing historics .

My historics have been in for years facing South and don't require much attention .I take the outer ones off yearly to give to friends so that keeps them from being being overcrowded .

Once your iris start producing less flowers or flowers just on the edge of the clump -you'll need to divide and replant .

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 14:05:19

Oh, thanks.

They might get tangled up with the peony tubers before long. I will have to climb in there later in the year and sort it all out (again!).

ayse Thu 19-May-22 14:18:26

A bit earlier this year we bought two half barrels @ £30.00 each. Having seen the price of large plastic flower pots in Aldi - £22.00 each we’ve decided to buy at least another half barrel to put the tomato plants in. The don’t blow over, last for ages and are biodegradable and the metal reusable.

I went looking for small terracotta pots and eventually gave up, settling instead for some plastic ones to pot some stuff on. I think I’ll be saving yoghurt pots (larger size) to reuse instead of buying anymore new plastics.

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 14:20:50

Our two half barrels lasted for years, they looked lovely at the front filled with pelargoniums etc