Gransnet forums

Gardening

Mock Orange.

(16 Posts)
MiniMoon Mon 04-Jul-22 13:58:03

My husband gave this a really severe prune (cut it back drastically). Last year it had a few blooms. Look at it now. I've never seen it so full of blossom.

RichmondPark Mon 04-Jul-22 14:12:56

Wow! Beautiful. I bet the scent is amazing.

fairfraise Mon 04-Jul-22 14:13:27

That looks lovely and it has a gorgeous scent. Ours died down completely two years ago, after 30 years. Started as a 50p bare root from Woolworths.

BlueBelle Mon 04-Jul-22 14:19:18

I did exactly the same miniMoon and mine has gone mad this year

lixy Mon 04-Jul-22 14:21:08

Good job! Nothing like giving plants a really good haircut to scare them into producing their best show ever.
When I've done this with other shrubs I've rewarded them with a good mulch and feed in the Autumn and that seems to help for the following year.

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Jul-22 14:34:20

Noted for mine, I assume it’s an autumn prune?

downtoearth Mon 04-Jul-22 15:15:38

Did that with my clematis,thought I had lost it.It is rampant.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 04-Jul-22 15:26:37

My mum was a brilliant gardener. She did prune very severely though! Her roses were cut back to hardly anything yet the next year they were brilliant.

Hithere Mon 04-Jul-22 16:30:13

Gorgeous!

DaisyAnne Mon 04-Jul-22 16:39:50

It's my daughter who is what I call a "brave pruner", and it works. I am a real wimp smile. I do love Mock Orange (Philadelphus). I once had one under a bedroom window and it was gorgeous when the sent wafted in.

Mrsdigitalis Mon 04-Jul-22 16:54:57

I was wondering whether or when to prune my mock orange

annodomini Mon 04-Jul-22 17:11:44

I have a golden philadelphus. The foliage is golden and is a striking feature in the garden. However, some of the foliage is turning green and it never blooms prolifically. In my previous garden, I had a wonderfully fragrant - not golden - philadelphus, just under my bedroom window, so got the full benefit of it on summer nights.
I think golden philly could do with drastic pruning and then see what happens!

Kim19 Mon 04-Jul-22 18:57:48

I have four beautiful large double philadelphias dotted around my garden. Well admired. Three of them were cuttings taken from the original plant situated at my front door. This location was recommended by my friend as the aroma would disperse all around inside the house. So true and just wonderful.

Georgesgran Mon 04-Jul-22 19:02:27

I Planted one in my garden a couple of months ago - can’t wait for it to look as good as those.

AskAlice Mon 04-Jul-22 19:12:08

They should ideally be pruned immediately after flowering. I've got two in my garden, one variegated and one plain. The plain-leaved one is definitely more vigorous and this year I've done the same as you, drastically pruned it and taken out at least 1/3 of the oldest branches right down to ground level. I'm not expecting much bloom next year but hopefully the year after it will be full of bloom and less "gangly"!

Esmay Thu 07-Jul-22 17:15:01

So lovely !
It must have been pruned straight after flowering .
It's one of those super reliable and easy shrubs .
I'm thinking that one would be good in my mixed hedge !