Gransnet forums

Gardening

Picking tomatoes

(29 Posts)
Grandmabatty Sat 06-Aug-22 11:56:25

None of my tomatoes have turned red yet. I live in central Scotland and the plants by necessity were outside. Can I pick them green and let them turn indoors or am I being impatient?

Elegran Sat 06-Aug-22 12:06:33

Give them a bit longer, they may ripen yet. You could pick a few and keep them indoors to ripen for using first?

merlotgran Sat 06-Aug-22 12:17:37

You’re being impatient! ?

lixy Sat 06-Aug-22 12:25:40

My outdoor cherry tomatoes just started to ripen properly at the beginning of this week and it has been warm here in Bedfordshire. I gather Scotland hasn't had the same warmth as us, so maybe hang on for a while longer.

Just for fun you could try putting a ripe banana near them - they give off a 'ripening' gas apparently.

MrsEggy Sat 06-Aug-22 12:29:48

My tomatoes are only this week beginning to ripen - I'm expecting them to go on till the middle of September. They're much nicer ripened outdoors. I'm in the West Midlands.

Grandmabatty Sat 06-Aug-22 12:31:40

Thank you all. I thought I was being impatient so will give them a bit longer on the vine. ☺️

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Aug-22 12:55:08

Some summers I’ve had to wait well into August and I’m way down south.

MaizieD Sat 06-Aug-22 13:05:53

My greenhouse tomatoes have only just started ripening (Durham).

Patience is a virtue grin

Daisymae Sat 06-Aug-22 13:37:20

Mine are ripening on the vine but in your shoes I would definitely pick some to ripen on the windowsill.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Aug-22 13:44:37

Oddly enough, the 2 tomato plants in the greenhouse are being slow to ripen, but the Tumbler tomatoes that are in a hanging basket outside are ripening quickly. And bearing a lit more fruit. Might not bother with greenhouse varieties next year, the Tumbler tomatoes are much sweeter.

Esspee Sat 06-Aug-22 13:44:50

I used to grow tomatoes in my greenhouse in Glasgow and in that protected environment they would not start ripening until mid August so I suggest you be patient as they really are nicer ripened on the vine.

25Avalon Sat 06-Aug-22 13:55:40

I would be more patient, but as a matter of interest I have picked green tomatoes in October and ripened them off on a tray indoors, and still need eating them in March. Perhaps not quite so tasty but better than boughten ones.

25Avalon Sat 06-Aug-22 13:56:39

Been not need

libra10 Sat 06-Aug-22 14:03:43

We're in the North West and our tomatoes only started ripening 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now we have many more than we need, and are making soups and giving some to friends and neighbours.
Once they start ripening you get far more than you need.

Kittye Sat 06-Aug-22 17:03:36

A couple of years ago I grew some tomatoes from a couple of tomatoes I’d bought from the supermarket. I had dozens of plants all produced an abundance of tomatoes. They had absolutely no taste ?

Daisymae Tue 09-Aug-22 10:09:21

Kittye

A couple of years ago I grew some tomatoes from a couple of tomatoes I’d bought from the supermarket. I had dozens of plants all produced an abundance of tomatoes. They had absolutely no taste ?

That's a shame after all your effort. There's such a variety of seeds available now days, most not available in the shops. I guess that commercial ones are grown for size and keeping quality as opposed to taste.

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Aug-22 10:59:56

Commercial tomatoes are grown with a ripening inhibitor so they are easier to transport and store.

25Avalon Tue 09-Aug-22 13:10:09

Just gave my neighbours some of our lovely ripe home grown tomatoes. They said they had never tasted such delicious tomatoes.

chicken Wed 24-Aug-22 14:19:38

I've been growing a variety called Pink Brandy Boy in my greenhouse and it has been wonderful, huge lumpy fruits in abundance weighing anything up to a pound each and the taste is divine! I've been giving them away, there have been so many, and all the recipients have said what a wonderful flavour they have. My freezer is now full of boxes of skinned chopped tomatoes ready for winter soups and stews. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Gin Wed 24-Aug-22 14:35:06

I came back from a week away and picked about three kilos. They are delicious. I am in North Bucks, no rain for months, plants dying and grass with not a blade visible, I hope it recovers. My beans have given up the ghost despite watering, it is just too damned hot!

Grandmabatty Wed 24-Aug-22 14:37:01

My dgs 'helped' to pick some yesterday. They are still green but will ripen in the kitchen.

Blondiescot Wed 24-Aug-22 14:41:58

I'm just south of Edinburgh and ours are ripening nicely now. We had two huge bowls of them sitting on the windowsill, so I've now got a batch of 'sundried' tomatoes doing away in my Ninja at the moment.

karmalady Thu 01-Sep-22 11:04:58

s somerset and all tomatoes are now picked this morning, outdoor variety. This has been the best year I have had, the tastiest large tomatoes ever. It feels chilly out today, windy and damp air, definitely a change in season. 4 large bowls indoors in the warm and under dark t towels. I am not going to fret if they ripen all at once, the many spares will be put into bags in the freezer

foxie48 Thu 01-Sep-22 11:29:15

Worcestershire based and no problem getting them ripe this year but I'll leave any green ones until the end of Sept and then bring indoors to ripen. I have a huge glut but I fill my slow cooker with cut up toms, leave it on a timer so I take advantage of cheaper electricity during the night then blitz with a stick blender, once cool they go in the freezer. I find it a cheap easy way to get loads of toms to use in soups, sauces etc. i don't bother to peel. I also stick any herbs I have in the garden before blitzing.

Rowan60 Thu 01-Sep-22 11:48:17

I usually leave my tomatoes in right up until the end of October some years and they are fine here in East Anglia. This year we had work being done on the house, and so the tomato harvest was completed last week. I had gluts of red, yellow, orange from different varieties, and lots of green ones too. But they were all put to good use. Some are left to ripen in bowls by a sunny windowsill. Others are made into tomato sauces, mixed with herbs from the garden and put in the freezer. The smaller varieties, cherry, are packed into glass jars, topped with herbs, a sprinkle of sea salt and a homegrown chilli. The jar is then filled with olive oil and sealed. These are perfect to use in soups, stews, and pasta dishes. The excess oil can also be used in cooking. I still have a few tomato plants in pots that have been moved elsewhere in the garden and they will be used later in the autumn. This year being especially hot has been a bumper harvest, and I have even grown aubergine too!