Gransnet forums

Gardening

Sun room plants - ideas very welcome

(5 Posts)
Egwin Tue 16-Aug-22 22:14:12

In the small house I have just moved to there is a south facing small sun room. South wall is glass/ double glazed - rest and ceiling not so. A wide shelf / window sill around two walls including south facing one.

I’d like some nice medium and large plants for sills.
In the thread about container fruit bushes some fruit was suggested which was very helpful.

I have wondered about, say, largish herbs.

I don’t mind the slightly eccentric or in fact the ordinary but lovely or lush - but I do mind the too expensive!

I would appreciate advice, or thoughts...or voices of experience.

Thank you.

CanadianGran Wed 17-Aug-22 03:16:16

I'm not sure what you consider small, but here is a lovely photo which would be my ideal sunroom.

It would include:
A cosy spot to sit.
A tall plant or two (palm, fig or hibiscus)
A collection of smaller similar plants on a shelf (perhaps African violets, orchids or Christmas cactus)
I also like alocasia and peace lilies.

I think the trick is to make it a green oasis without overwhelming, and since you are lucky enough to have a sunroom, perhaps try some new hobby like a terrarium or bonsai.

Davida1968 Wed 17-Aug-22 10:07:52

Aloe Vera & other succulents should do well in a sunny environment. Easy to care for, too. (Yesterday I saw some attractive succulents in our local Aldi.)

Egwin Wed 17-Aug-22 21:29:10

Thank you Canadian Gran and Davida1968 for helpful thoughts.

I am still wondering about a herb or two which may give a scent and be useful too ... I also wonder about wild flowers!

I like the idea of having stands for some of the plants for display / variance in height.

Grandmabatty Wed 17-Aug-22 22:15:17

Lemon verbena would smell lovely.