Gransnet forums

Gardening

Help!!

(145 Posts)
Shinamae Fri 16-Sep-22 09:49:04

Nearly 70 I have only recently started taking an interest in my garden, it’s not huge but quite substantial and enough for me. I’ve bought some flowering plants earlier and a couple have survived ( I have no idea what they are by the way) anyway I really don’t know what’s happened to the ones look dead, is this part of the natural cycle has the vast amount of rain we had recently drowned them? what I would also like to ask is what plant I can get now which will be quite hardy and quite pretty for over the winter and beyond, I obviously don’t have green fingers so need something that doesn’t need a lot of attention.Oh by the way one thing I did do to those poor plants was accidentally put lawn feed in instead of plant food, would that have had this result? I hand this problem over to my very knowledgeable friends on this thread. Thanking you in anticipation…?? can anybody identify plants at the back that is going up the trellis? I bought it from Tesco reduced from £7 to £1.69, I won’t tell you what I paid for the others a couple of which I bought off the Internet, never again! ?‍♀️

Esspee Fri 16-Sep-22 10:22:59

I'm not going to hazard a guess at identifying your plants but I suggest you have a look at what does well in neighbour's gardens as what works for me won't necessarily work in your soil/microclimate.

Beechnut Fri 16-Sep-22 12:34:27

I thought the two green plants in the big pot at the front might be London Pride but one of them has a yellow flower and as far as I know LP has tiny white/pink flowers.

vampirequeen Fri 16-Sep-22 12:39:26

Join a gardening facebook group. They'll look at photos and, not only, identify them but also give you ideas for growing them on.

Jazzhands Fri 16-Sep-22 12:41:01

www.groupon.co.uk/deals/pansy-cool-wave-mixed-plugs
Pansy Cool Wave - 24 plugs for £6.98.
I bought these last October and they lasted until March - little jewels of cheerfulness.

crazyH Fri 16-Sep-22 12:41:06

I wouldn’t but I’m quite curious about those 2 stainless steel pipes in a black bucket ….

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 16-Sep-22 12:42:47

Some of the pots seem to have labels?

BlueBelle Fri 16-Sep-22 12:48:59

You have labels in the pots what do they say It’s really not possible to identify by that photo but if they ve already flowered it may be their natural closing down phase
some will flower and you need to get the seeds for next year (annuals) others will come back year after year after dying down for the winter they will spring up again in the spring
(Perrinials)
Pansies are really nice and colourful over the winter and don’t take much looking after

Beechnut Fri 16-Sep-22 14:53:59

crazyH

I wouldn’t but I’m quite curious about those 2 stainless steel pipes in a black bucket ….

I’ve just googled and there is a plant Dutchman’s Pipe.

Jaxjacky Fri 16-Sep-22 15:18:09

Pansies or violas for over winter into spring Shinamae.

Grandmafrench Fri 16-Sep-22 15:32:05

Oh dear! Some do look very dead but you could leave them - unless the roots are rotten or waterlogged - to see if they pull themselves together. The plants seem to have labels, so look up what they are on your computer and see if they can be revived, maybe?

But all is not lost....out of the three plants in the grey pot at the front (one is definitely finished and should be removed) the other two are very healthy looking Osteospermums. These plants will give endless colour with daisy type flowers (various colours) through most of late Spring, Summer and into Autumn. They are capable of being divided and you could get yourself a good range of plants once they have grown and are stronger. They grow quickly too and thrive in the sunshine.

diygran Fri 16-Sep-22 15:42:05

I guess the climbing plant is a white jasmine. It should flower eventually.
As previously suggested, pansies are good value for winter flower. Small conifer could be used in pot for height with pansies round, then change flowers in Spring.
Only keep conifers for approx 4 years or you will have a giant tree! Geraniums and lobelia make an easy care pot. The geraniums can be overwintered indoors if you, like us, don't have a greenhouse. (too windy where we live!) As a 70+ I agree garden has to be lower maintenance as we age, but I do enjoy pots!

diygran Fri 16-Sep-22 15:52:44

Also, miniature patio roses make easy maintenance pots. Will live for years and difficult to kill! Good luck.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 16-Sep-22 16:53:32

What I’m putting in my patio pots again this year is dwarf wallflowers. Unlike the tall ones, they flower right through from autumn to late spring. They can cope with any weather, unlike pansies which often get spoiled by rain (and have to be deadheaded).

pauline1245 Fri 16-Sep-22 20:32:47

hello,
I'm looking for groundcover for a shady area , please

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 21:00:43

pauline1245

hello,
I'm looking for groundcover for a shady area , please

Ajuga? But it does like moist soil and it does spread, be careful where you plant it.

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 21:06:29

If that's a jasmine at the back it will need repotting at some stage (soon) into a much larger pot, Shinamae

Yes the two green ones look like osteospermum.

For winter colour pansies, winter primroses and cyclamen are always a good bet.

Shinamae Fri 16-Sep-22 21:19:42

This is the rest of my garden…. this was taken about six weeks ago when the potted plants were quite a bit healthier…?

shysal Fri 16-Sep-22 21:38:04

diygran

Also, miniature patio roses make easy maintenance pots. Will live for years and difficult to kill! Good luck.

I was given one of these 2 weeks ago and it is already dying despite keeping it damp but not waterlogged!

NotTooOld Fri 16-Sep-22 21:48:35

It's hard to tell. The one at the back could be a clematis. They would probably all do better directly in the earth really. As suggested above, join a Facebook group for help and advice. GardeningUK is a good one.

ExDancer Fri 16-Sep-22 21:54:45

A few years ago all my plotted plants seemed to be dying, then a friend spotted that I'd got vine weevils in the soil. That may be what's ailing your little rose Bush. I'd top it out and re pot it in fresh compost.
Weevils look like fat little white wormy things curled into a 'C' shape, about a quarter of an inch long. If they're in your soil it'll be no use so bin it, scour the pot and wash the plant roots.

ExDancer Fri 16-Sep-22 22:01:27

Look up vine weevil bugs on Google. I've bought them in with plants from a Supermarket. They are the devil to shift.
Are the plants staying in the pots all winter? They will need sheltering from frost.

Shinamae Sat 17-Sep-22 09:16:11

ExDancer

Look up vine weevil bugs on Google. I've bought them in with plants from a Supermarket. They are the devil to shift.
Are the plants staying in the pots all winter? They will need sheltering from frost.

Yes, they are staying in their pots, there’s no way I can put them in the ground anyway. I have bought some fleece covers but might just end up putting them in my small shed for the winter

Shinamae Sat 17-Sep-22 10:02:52

Jaxjacky

Pansies or violas for over winter into spring Shinamae.

Thank you will definitely get some pansies..?

Callistemon21 Sat 17-Sep-22 12:52:21

ExDancer

They ate the roots of my heucharas in pots.