Gransnet forums

Gardening

Because my plants were drowning….

(24 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 15-Nov-22 10:04:32

I bought this two man tent and put most of my outdoor potted plants inside it while this rain continues. Just been away to Gran Canaria for a week and come back and they are thriving so very pleased with my idea, just feel sorry for the ones I can’t get into the tent…

Beechnut Tue 15-Nov-22 10:29:24

That made me smile Shinamae. 😀

shysal Tue 15-Nov-22 11:44:46

I have turned all the plant pot saucers upside down for the duration of the wet spell, it stops waterlogging.

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 10:35:14

An update on my plants since putting in the tent, it has protected them from the awful deluges of rain we’ve been having and it seems to be acting like a mini greenhouse as the plants seem to be flourishing. I am very pleased and for £25 I think it serves its purpose. 🤗

25Avalon Fri 25-Nov-22 11:23:05

Shinamae, it will also protect them from frost. Additionally you could line it with horticultural fleece for extra protection in really cold weather. What a good idea of yours.

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 11:30:34

25Avalon

Shinamae, it will also protect them from frost. Additionally you could line it with horticultural fleece for extra protection in really cold weather. What a good idea of yours.

Yes I have got some fleece already but thank you 🤗

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 11:32:28

Oh dear, I just ignored mine!

We had a thunder and lightning hail storm the other evening, perhaps I should go and see if my plants are ok.

Feeling guilty .....

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 25-Nov-22 11:56:36

Mine are waterlogged too but I'm too idle to rescue them, and this is how lazy I am - one of my pots cracked in the frost last year and so needs repotting. Did I bother to do so? No, I'll pay for it in the end, won't I?

Procrastination is my middle er, I'll think about it later.

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 12:17:24

Callistemon21

We had a thunder and lightning hail storm the other evening, perhaps I should go and see if my plants are ok.

Feeling guilty .....

We had thunder and lightning last night, I have never heard thunder as loud as that was, mind you I do like a good storm 🤗⛈⛈

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 12:55:52

It did make me jump, Shinamae

I was holding the TV controls and there was a flash!

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 14:53:36

Shinamae

Callistemon21

Feeling guilty .....

We had thunder and lightning last night, I have never heard thunder as loud as that was, mind you I do like a good storm 🤗⛈⛈

It put our electric out but only for a few minutes…….. I was just getting prepared to light my storm candles and it came on again…🤓

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 18:30:02

I turned the telly off!
Our power didn t go off but the thunder, lightning and hail went on for some time.

The plants look ok today; I should get out there and tidy them up.

buffyfly9 Fri 25-Nov-22 18:36:33

What a brilliant idea!! I have 2 man pop up tent that the grandchildren have grown out of. Was going to give it away but not now, I'm going to shelter some of my more delicate pots (blueberry, lavender, parsley, chives, thyme etc in there. Thanks so much for the tip. thanks

lixy Fri 25-Nov-22 18:37:04

What a great idea! May well copy you if the rain keeps up.
I've just turned over the saucers and shoved the pots against a fence. Fingers crossed!

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 18:55:35

buffyfly9

What a brilliant idea!! I have 2 man pop up tent that the grandchildren have grown out of. Was going to give it away but not now, I'm going to shelter some of my more delicate pots (blueberry, lavender, parsley, chives, thyme etc in there. Thanks so much for the tip. thanks

I have neither the room or especially the finance for a greenhouse and with this when the spring and summer comes I can just take the tent down and put it in the shed till next winter…🪴🪴🪴🪴

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 21:01:19

A very novice Gardner,only just really started, to be honest I don’t know what half, well any of the plants are called.. 🤓Never mind enthusiasm is just as good as knowledge in my book..🤷‍♀️..

Visgir1 Fri 25-Nov-22 21:15:52

Brilliant idea.. Well done with that thought.

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 21:20:19

Visgir1

Brilliant idea.. Well done with that thought.

Yes, it’s nice to have a lightbulb moment occasionally 😁😁😁

rubysong Fri 25-Nov-22 22:26:56

Looks a good idea but I just wonder if they get enough light.

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 22:43:04

rubysong

Looks a good idea but I just wonder if they get enough light.

Yes they absolutely do, they have thrived

Shinamae Sat 26-Nov-22 16:57:45

Torrential rain here again and accompanied by strong wind now and my tent is billowing out but staying put!!..💨💨💨🌧🌧…

Chapeau Sat 26-Nov-22 17:19:23

If anyone has planted bulbs in pots, make sure they're not sitting directly on a hard surface. If the pots get waterlogged, the bulbs could rot if the water can't drain away. I've moved all my pots so they're sitting on the gravel paths.
Also, many bulbs are starting to shoot far too early but, even if the frost damages the shoots, the bulbs should still flower as usual in spring.

Shinamae Wed 30-Nov-22 13:40:36

My plants are out sunbathing today for a few hours…🪴🪴🪴😁😎😎😎😎😎😎

robertsilver Wed 11-Jan-23 01:21:09

Wow! That's such a simple, mundane solution. I'll definitely try this one out next time we experience too much rain. I usually take my potted dischidia indoors whenever I see some serious rainfall coming. But that's coz I have enough space. It's just that it's so inconvenience and kinda limits my room-to-room movements. I once tried a burlap as an insulation to protect the plant from frost, which worked pretty well., But I wasn't impressed with how my house looked.

My buddy is the ultimate creative, just like you. She covers her plants with overturned bowls and buckets. But of appropriate size. And to hold them into place, she weighs the coverings down with rocks and bricks. Which I find so mesmerizing; but I guess I'm not that great with such creativity. So hats off @Shinamae for such an idea.