Gransnet forums

Gardening

Dwarf, cherry trees

(34 Posts)
Shinamae Mon 20-Mar-23 12:14:59

I’m in the process of having my garden redone.
Basically the bottom bit of the garden is going to be for wildflowers, I’m getting the pond moved over to the side and the rest of it is going to be lawn
I am having some plants put in the ground and some in pots and wondered if anybody has any experience of dwarf cherry trees where is the best place to get them and do they do better in a pot or in the ground?

Visgir1 Mon 20-Mar-23 13:12:35

Be interested to read comments on this thread as I have just bought x2 in pots from Hilliers on line.
Thought they would look nice in spring , but planning to put into pots.

MiniMoon Mon 20-Mar-23 15:10:01

DH bought ours from QVC, Plants2Gardens. He put them in pots and they stand along the front of the house. This one is in flower, the other 2 are not as far along.

Caleo Mon 20-Mar-23 15:17:17

Yes, I have a weeping dwarf tree that's an early flowering prunus and is now newly in bloom. It has always(about 11 years at least) been in the open ground, part shaded under a deodar and has done very well. Has needed no attention apart from cutting out suckers of wild cherry.

Joseanne Mon 20-Mar-23 15:29:49

Mine is in the ground, front garden and is currently in blossom. The good thing is that it has grown to just about level in height with the fence and complements the wood.

Shinamae Mon 20-Mar-23 15:36:34

I am looking at this one…

Shinamae Mon 20-Mar-23 15:37:51

Joseanne

Mine is in the ground, front garden and is currently in blossom. The good thing is that it has grown to just about level in height with the fence and complements the wood.

I do realise it will take a while to get the fruit 😁

Joseanne Mon 20-Mar-23 15:39:24

Yes, mine is very piffly in the fruit department.

Joseanne Mon 20-Mar-23 15:41:43

PS I think I meant piddly!

Joseanne Mon 20-Mar-23 15:44:11

Shinamae

I am looking at this one…

That looks lovely, beautiful fruit, quite robust I'm guessing.

NanaDana Mon 20-Mar-23 15:59:34

Cherry trees can be such vigorous growers, having them in large pots, (at least 60cm diameter) makes them easier to manage They generally do well in a sheltered, fairly sunny aspect. As they flower quite early, the blossoms do require some frost protection as that is where the fruit will form. Plant in good loam, e.g. John Innes No.2, and refresh this annually. Also, don't let the loam dry out during the Summer months. Prune in late Summer. Feed in late Winter, and then mulch to help moisture retention. So a plant which does require a bit of "hands on" attention , but well worth the effort.

Shinamae Mon 20-Mar-23 17:26:27

NanaDana

Cherry trees can be such vigorous growers, having them in large pots, (at least 60cm diameter) makes them easier to manage They generally do well in a sheltered, fairly sunny aspect. As they flower quite early, the blossoms do require some frost protection as that is where the fruit will form. Plant in good loam, e.g. John Innes No.2, and refresh this annually. Also, don't let the loam dry out during the Summer months. Prune in late Summer. Feed in late Winter, and then mulch to help moisture retention. So a plant which does require a bit of "hands on" attention , but well worth the effort.

Thank you for that advice…

Shinamae Mon 20-Mar-23 20:38:58

I’ve just ordered it, £8.99 delivery, bit of a shock. 🥹

Shinamae Thu 23-Mar-23 08:56:17

Garden is coming on nicely, wildflowers put in
yesterday..🤗
The age-old question, how do I keep cats off it?..🤦‍♀️

NanaDana Fri 24-Mar-23 09:25:57

Shinamae. Lavender is an excellent cat repellent, as they hate the smell It's also cheap to buy, quick growing, low maintenance, and looks great in any garden. If there's a particular area that cat's use to access your garden, plant it there. Other plants which emit odors that cats find offensive, are the scaredy-cat plant ( Coleus canina ), rue, rosemary, and pennyroyal.

Esmay Fri 24-Mar-23 17:54:17

Great advice from Nana Dana .
Cats don't like the smell of citrus peel .
Whenever I eat an orange or use lemons and limes I cut the peel up and sprinkle it on the garden .
If I've done some recent planting I sprinkle freshly ground pepper around as well .
And I also use kebabs sticks otherwise everything is dug up by my neighbour's cats .

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Mar-23 18:55:47

Shinamae - nothing seems to work here. Two or 3 years ago I had to remove cat poo from a potted shrub in a tall narrow pot with barbecue skewers in! It must have been a cat with strange "habits" 🤔

If they love your garden they love it irrespective of the off-putting smells and spikey stuff in the earth!

Let me know if you find anything!

Esmay Sat 25-Mar-23 09:32:12

Last week , I found my cat repellent device knocked over and piles and piles of poop on it !
It was from the foxes next door .
I have to continually replenish the citrus peel , pepper and kebab sticks .

Forsythia Sat 25-Mar-23 09:38:38

Cats tend to go in one place, out of habit. Mine does. We get lots of poo in our garden but it’s not from our cat, it’s wildlife coming in overnight.

PiscesLady Sat 25-Mar-23 13:52:36

Shinamae

Garden is coming on nicely, wildflowers put in
yesterday..🤗
The age-old question, how do I keep cats off it?..🤦‍♀️

Your garden is looking lovely! My daughter has just given me a cherry tree for my birthday, it is covered in blossom now. I just hope I don't kill it off!
We used to have a neighbours cat that used our lawn as his tiolet. The one thing that worked was a motion activated water spray. It did catch me out a few times when I forgot to turn it off grin and DGS loved it in the summer!

www.amazon.co.uk/Defenders-Jet-Spray-Protector-Motion-Activated-Repellent/dp/B01DACLHT2/ref=sr_1_28?crid=2D5HCT5N0Y8BG&keywords=fox+deterrents+for+gardens+water&sprefix=fox+deterrents+%2Caps%2C105&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1679750447&sr=8-28

Shinamae Sun 26-Mar-23 12:07:27

NanaDana

Shinamae. Lavender is an excellent cat repellent, as they hate the smell It's also cheap to buy, quick growing, low maintenance, and looks great in any garden. If there's a particular area that cat's use to access your garden, plant it there. Other plants which emit odors that cats find offensive, are the scaredy-cat plant ( Coleus canina ), rue, rosemary, and pennyroyal.

I’m pretty sure, Paul said he has put lavender in the wildflower bits, but obviously they’re quite new plants and will need to mature.
I have bought a water pistol . It’s catching them particularly as I go to work from two till eight 3 days a week…🐱🤦‍♀️😂
If the weather is okay on Wednesday, because that’s the only day he can get to me, he will move my pond to the left and put some new pond plants in, I already have frogs, but we are hoping to attract some newts as well..🐸🐸🐸

Jaxjacky Sun 26-Mar-23 12:44:48

White pepper worked for us on black bin bags some years ago Shinamae no cats ripping them open.

Shinamae Sun 26-Mar-23 12:55:06

Jaxjacky

White pepper worked for us on black bin bags some years ago Shinamae no cats ripping them open.

👌🏻…

Shinamae Tue 04-Apr-23 09:58:08

Work in progress, but pond was moved yesterday 🤗

Shinamae Tue 04-Apr-23 09:59:05

Shinamae

Work in progress, but pond was moved yesterday 🤗

This 🙃