Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

So excited

(43 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 09:25:14

Will have a telephone call today which will result in someome being united with uncles, aunts and cousins the person didn’t know existed a few months ago. ?

Bizzylizzy53 Tue 08-May-18 09:39:37

How exciting.Hope all goes well

kittylester Tue 08-May-18 09:40:02

Brilliant Annie and, if I'm right, well done you. flowers

LJP1 Tue 08-May-18 10:10:19

Good luck. Be ready for the emotional shock! wine

blueberry1 Tue 08-May-18 10:12:10

Wonderful!Hope all goes well.

Gillcro Tue 08-May-18 10:25:01

Very exciting for you. I'm sure it will be very emotional have tissues ready.

Blinko Tue 08-May-18 10:28:28

Keep us posted, Annie flowers wine

peaches50 Tue 08-May-18 10:36:01

Anniebach, my fingers and toes crossed for a fantastic outcome. But echo LJP1 be aware of swirling emotions and if this is a close relative or friend exercise a bit of caution. Being an eternal optimist and never seeing hidden depths in others not so open and trustworthy, I supported an older family friend who when her husband died was lonely and looked for long lost relations (she was abandoned as a baby) . I helped her track down a family she never thought she would have and we were all so delighted for her. Sadly it turned sour after she had treated the whole clan on numerous occasions, one particular couple - a niece and husband I think, asked for a large sum for an emergency. We suggested to keep it clear and above board it should be in an IOU. They cut off communications with her almost immediately after reluctantly signing and banking the money ( a great deal of her inheritance form her husband) and it ended up in the courts, a very bitter experience none of us ever got over. The betrayal and heartbreak was enormous. I sincerely hope this is not going to rain on your parade but please go slowly. shamrock flowers sunshine

Legs55 Tue 08-May-18 10:48:37

Annie I've got my fingers crossedsmile, hope it works outflowers

luluaugust Tue 08-May-18 10:50:14

I am crossing my fingers for you too and hope all goes well but must warn likes peaches50 to be just a little wary. We found some cousins whilst doing family history, all went well but they knew very little of the past and when we told them about a part of their heritage, we didn't share, we never heard from them again.

Luckygirl Tue 08-May-18 10:52:29

That sounds exciting!

Panache Tue 08-May-18 10:55:33

Fingers firmly crossed for a happy reunion Anniebach........hopefully resulting in a lot of happy faces.

However I have my own personal story of a reunion with actually my blood sister a full 50 years later, and very sadly, this has not had its happy ever after outcome.
But by no means am I going "to rain on someone else`s parade" this very day and sincerely I hope all goes well and the future even better.

Shesanana Tue 08-May-18 11:03:15

How exciting Anniebach! This could have been me 2 years ago when I discovered I was adopted. A few months later I met uncles, aunts and lots of cousins smile

amt101 Tue 08-May-18 11:09:08

7 years ago I met 6 nieces that I knew about but they didn't know about me. Their mothers, my half sisters, had never mentioned me and it was only when my brother died and my name was mentioned at his funeral that they asked who I was. This all happened in New Zealand, so I flew out to meet them and it was a great success. They were all wondering which sister I was like and asked about my dad as he had never been mentioned in their families. I had given myself a weekend to meet them as I thought if it went wrong I could survive a weekend. It was not long enough but I am now in touch with 6 lovely nieces, two of whom have visited me here in Britain.
I do hope all goes well and am happy to bet that it does.

Auntieflo Tue 08-May-18 11:28:18

Feeling excited and happy for you Annie. Hope all goes well.flowers

newnanny Tue 08-May-18 11:42:48

Tissues at the ready. I hope they prove to be a valuable support for each other.

goldengirl Tue 08-May-18 12:39:31

It is so exciting for you! I've been in a similar position and it's been emotional and wonderful to find I'm not alone after all. We certainly don't live in each others pockets but it's good to know we have 'proper' relatives!

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 12:45:13

I have no worries , this is not a vulnerable elderly woman but a man who is sensible , has no expections of happy ,huggy family reunions Is very happily married with children, he will now have some answers about a father he doesn’t remember . We discussed possibly pitfalls when I was asked to trace his family tree.

I received the phone call and it was quite emotional when being asked by an elderly man how did his brother die? , the brother had been estranged from his siblings and his son .

Some will know this person as ‘my X who isn’t ‘ ?

SueDonim Tue 08-May-18 13:03:36

Well done, Annie! I recall your earlier thread. :smile:

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 13:08:02

Sue, ?, yes it is he.

Overthehills Tue 08-May-18 13:09:45

So glad the phone call went well Annie.

hulahoop Tue 08-May-18 14:57:44

How exciting Annie hope all goes well ?

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 15:47:28

I receive email from one of cousins of the person I was doing the research for, he said he welcomed his newly found cousin and would contact all the cousins . I still haven’t given either side direct contact though , being rather protective ?

patriciageegee Tue 08-May-18 15:54:50

Best wishes to you anniebach hope it all goes well you deserve it ?

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 17:05:06

Thank you, it is he who deserves it, a chance for me to give something back to someone who has given me so much for 33 years ?