Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

DNA help please

(59 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 08-Dec-18 16:05:15

BlueBelle, i am 100% Welsh because I choose to be , my grandchildren tell me ‘you can’t be 100% Welsh’, my reply always ‘ prove I am not’. They will be so ‘told you’ when I have the results , if I choose to tell them ?

BlueBelle Sat 08-Dec-18 15:44:14

Thanks Anniebach I m glad you feel 100% no one is 100% anything we re all hybrids ?

Anniebach Sat 08-Dec-18 15:18:36

It was £10 BlueBelle

BlueBelle Sat 08-Dec-18 14:24:44

Is this the one that has a high postage rate

Anniebach Sat 08-Dec-18 13:54:33

Thank you x

Don’t want to do it now, would love to find distant cousins but ! I want to remain 100% Welsh , which I am because I say so , suppose I can blame my South Wales ancestors, no one went to Anglesey so the blame can’t lie with my North Wales ancestors

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Dec-18 13:27:30

I got that for a present from my children last year. You register on line, spit (a lot) into the tube and send it off. I think I got an email and the results were all on line. Unsurprisingly, being from Norfolk, I’m mostly Norman and Dane.

They also found the nearest matches on their database. My cousin, who’s deep into finding his ancestors was one and a second cousin who neither of us had heard of in Canada. Her family history matches and my cousin has been in touch.

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Dec-18 13:26:09

It's not like the normal DNA tests with a swab from the inside of the cheek - I think you have to produce quite a bit of saliva and send it off in a tube!

Assuming it is an Ancestry DNA test:

Your AncestryDNA results include information about your geographic origins across 350 regions and identifies potential relatives through DNA matching to others who have taken the AncestryDNA test. Your results are a great starting point for more family history research, and it can also be a way to dig even deeper into the research you've already done.
The AncestryDNA test analyzes your entire genome—all 23 pairs of chromosomes—as opposed to only looking at the Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA (which makes other types of tests gender specific). Your autosomal chromosomes carry genetic information from both your parents that's passed down through the generations.
www.ancestrydna.co.uk/kits?msclkid=d521141a7a58197149da4811bf3e7f7e&o_xid=81662&o_lid=81662&o_sch=Paid+Search+Brand

Your results will go on a database.

silverlining48 Sat 08-Dec-18 13:21:47

I think you might get a map back with say 50% welsh 20% Spanish, 15% somewhere else etc etc. My daughter did it.

Anniebach Sat 08-Dec-18 13:18:04

Younger daughter has bought me a DNA test, I have to register it with Ancestry then send it off and wait.

What can I expect ? I have not the foggiest how it all works