Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Stores that are no longer in existence.

(175 Posts)
NanKate Tue 22-Nov-16 23:18:30

Just been listening to BBC Radio Southern Counties and they are talking about shops that are no longer in existence. They mentioned Freeman Hardy and Willis and I remember buying a pair of lovely stilettos made of a blue mesh type material. I miss not being able to wear heels. hmm

Any shops you miss ?

oldgoat Tue 22-Nov-16 23:23:07

Woolworths, C and A and now BHS too.

SueDonim Wed 23-Nov-16 00:05:47

Timothy White & Taylor's.

callgirl1 Wed 23-Nov-16 00:28:03

I got my first pair of heels from Freeman Hardy and Willis, in 1961, pale grey, with white basket weave across the front, worn with a white pleated skirt and pale blue Banlon cardigan.
A store I really, really miss is C&A. My grandma, who I lived with, used to take me to their bargain basement in Manchester for most of my new clothes. The last time I shopped there was in Lincoln, shortly before they closed down.

Falconbird Wed 23-Nov-16 05:20:50

I loved Freeman Hardy and Willis. The most expensive shoes (in the 60s were 69/11d and the cheapest 29/11d. I bought some shoes there with my first wages when I was 16. They always fitted like a dream.

Anyone remember Perks and The Maypole. They were both grocers and sold a wide range of food.

NanKate Wed 23-Nov-16 06:39:08

Dolcis and Manfield two more shoe shops long gone.

Alima Wed 23-Nov-16 06:41:14

The one I really miss is Woolies. Could buy anything there from suitcases, still have a red one bought there in the 70s, to grated cheese to records. Pound shops don't compare and Wilko tries but doesn't make it.
Also miss C & A thought they have been gone for years. There used to be several shoe shop chains but can only think of FHW and Saxone. What were the others?
Also miss WH Smith as it used to be, a book shop, as opposed to bit of this, bit of that and nothing much of anything.

Alima Wed 23-Nov-16 06:43:09

Thanks NanKate, how could I forget Dolcis, the biggest platforms ever!

Anya Wed 23-Nov-16 07:32:39

Who remembers MFI? And what about Dewhursts the butchers? And of course C & A.

grannypiper Wed 23-Nov-16 08:15:07

Anya i miss M.F.I, the lounge in my first home as a big grown up was furnished from MFI. I still .have a duvet cover from there,
Who could forget Ratners, although i'm sure nobody actually misses it.

annsixty Wed 23-Nov-16 08:15:52

I remember all of the above along with the Home and Colonial and Mac Fisheries. I will have to get my head together to think of others.

Pigglywiggly Wed 23-Nov-16 08:18:11

We got my engagement ring from He's Walker. Bet they don't exist any more either.

grannypiper Wed 23-Nov-16 08:18:24

Here in Scotland we had a store called What everyone wants, bit like primark used to be only a bit more bargain basement.As a Teenager it meant that when you were paid on a Friday you could shop there on a Saturday and have a new top for your Saturday night out.

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 08:18:49

Army and Navy in Victoria St, London, Pratts in Streatham High Road, Patrick Thomson's (PT's) on the Bridges in Edinburgh sad

Teetime Wed 23-Nov-16 08:24:20

Bourne and Hollingsworth

Derry and Toms

Army and Navy

Fine Fare

Somerfield

Barratts

Principles

Christinefrance Wed 23-Nov-16 08:32:37

Maypole, and all the lovely independent grocers and butchers where you got personal service.
What has happened to WH Smith they are a mess now, I have looked at them in several different towns and they seem to have lost their way.

annsixty Wed 23-Nov-16 08:38:27

Brentford Nylons. Those brushed nylon sheets!!!

Swanny Wed 23-Nov-16 08:47:31

M&S Outlet - most stuff was absolutely fine but I did once (accidentally) buy a lovely jumper with different sleeve lengths!

Alders - a cut above Debenhams in product and staff

C&A - although I think they still exist in some European towns. 1964-66 First stop for Saturday Night Out dresses and office wear

Curtess, FHW, Saxone - shoes bought as often as I could find any to fit my size 8 feet. Much better selection nowadays

Home & Colonial, Maypole, International Stores, Dewhurst - all edged out by supermarkets

Teetime Wed 23-Nov-16 08:51:55

Swan and Edgar

Hepworths

Ottaker

Auntieflo Wed 23-Nov-16 09:03:23

Was there not a DIY store called Texas?

Nelliemoser Wed 23-Nov-16 09:38:30

Lewis's department store. Nothing to do with John Lewis.

"Lewis's was a chain of British department stores that operated from 1856 to 2010."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis's

GrannyAnnie2010 Wed 23-Nov-16 09:50:16

Tongue in cheek : "I blame Brexit".

J52 Wed 23-Nov-16 09:52:56

M&S outlet is alive and well at the Gretna Gateway outlet shopping centre.smile

annodomini Wed 23-Nov-16 09:56:04

Richard Shops and Paige. I used to find up-to-date clothes at very reasonable prices. Great for renewing wardrobe after childbirth and also when I'd lost weight with WW. Lewis's department store in Manchester had a department on the top floor for end-of-range fashions at very affordable prices.

Disgruntled Wed 23-Nov-16 10:02:40

Never mind shops - I've just heard that there are plans for our central library to be sold to the Chinese to be made into a hotel!!!!!