Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Please help me TIPTREE JAM to stay in Tiptree

(61 Posts)
pompa Fri 01-Jul-11 08:36:33

We must all have eaten or bought TIPTREE JAM at some time in our lives. Wilkin & Sons have made jam in Tiptree for over 125 years and are a cornerstone of the village. They need to expand their factory and would employ another 200 local people. However the Council are refusing them permission to build houses on their existing site to finance the expansion. This could mean they have to move out of Tiptree with a loss of a potential 500 local jobs.
Please help me by supporting their campaign and spread the campaign World Wide.
Details can be found on the News pages of their website www.tiptree.com and on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiptree-where-the-jam-comes-from/157669864298311.

I have no connection with Tiptree Jam, other than having lived in Tiptree most of my life. Neither I or any of my family have worked for them. I just passionately believe they should continue to make jam here for another 125 years.

JO4 Sun 22-Jul-12 12:47:54

If you still read this Pomps, do you know you can buy Tiptree strawberries now? Grown on their own estate.

How many miles of them do they grow to make all that jam, and still have some left over to sell?!

(Got 'em in Waitrose btw) They are nice.

tiptree Mon 29-Aug-11 20:21:01

Difficult to answer questions on here without being commercial so in brief, with apologies if it's deemed to be an advert:

There are detailed notes about the new jam factory plans on Facebook 'Tiptree - where the jam comes from' page. We asked architects to change mix from 2-4 bedroom homes to 1-5 bedroom in response to local opinion.

Two weeks ago, Peter Wilkin handed over keys to eight new retirement bungalows in Tiptree, just completed off Cherry Chase. Bungalows are complete with fridge freezer, hobs, cookers, washing lines, garden sheds etc.

Thanks for your interest.

glammanana Mon 29-Aug-11 15:26:19

That's nice pompa I was only interested as DH worked at Port Sunlight where the house's where let to employee's and then went on to be sold privatley and they where outpriced to the FTB market,the fact that they are looking at supported housing is fabulous as when people downsize they can stay in the same area,well done to the planner's if it all come's off

pompa Sun 28-Aug-11 19:29:02

Glammamanana the questionnaire asked what type of houses villageers would like. The result was a mix of starter, larger and sheltered housing. Whilst that is not binding on Tiptree jam, from past experience that is exactly what I would expect them to have wished for. They have always put the wishes/interest of Tiptree before financial concerns.

TIPTREE - good to see you back on the forum, a summary of the survey results would be appreciated, please don't promote the company, just facts (GNHQ have rules about commercial promotion).

Oldgreymare Sun 28-Aug-11 18:47:43

Pompa, just caught up with your thread. Off to tell my lovely neighbour who used to live there AND picked fruit in season ( before you say anything, Jangly, I mean when the fruit was ripe......) Oh dear this gets worse ...
Note to self: Apply the Dennis Healey rule of holes:
'When you are in a hole,stop digging!'
Good luck with the campaign.

glammanana Sat 27-Aug-11 23:16:04

pompa If the planning is passed and the company can build the house's in question will those house's be of a price that local people will be able to afford ?

tiptree Fri 26-Aug-11 19:17:55

Thank goodness it wasn't Tiptree jam, just someone using a Tiptree jar.

Seriously though, jam goes mouldy for a number of reasons - low soluble solids is the main reason home-made jam spoils, the sugar content has to be above around 60% in the finished product (and that sugar content comes from both the sugar you add and the sugar in the fruit).

It's very difficult to hermetically seal home-made jam. We've heard of people heating it in a microwave oven just before screwing the lid on but can't vouch for that. DON"T try it with the lid on please!

Jam can get mould on it from mould spores floating around in the air, especially from bread - that's why you really shouldn't use the same knife to get jam out as you've used to spread it or butter on your bread or toast. And it's better not to keep opened jam and bread in the same cupboard.

Mould is something that us oldies were used to decades ago but is now a worry. Well it's not really, you could scrape off mould and what's underneath will be fine. That applies to cheese too as mould only forms on the surface, where the air can get to the food.

jangly Sat 20-Aug-11 09:46:34

The Divine jam (purchased from church fete) which I referred to a bit further up/down this thread, depending on whether you have flipped or not, went mouldy half way down the jar.

Yes, I know Pomps!

ElseG Fri 19-Aug-11 17:22:42

On the strength of this Pompa I bought my first ever jar of Tiptree strawberry jam to take away on holiday smile

pompa Thu 18-Aug-11 21:43:48

Just watched it. Yes we are familiar with most of the places, often pick samphire from the marshes, along with a local crab, perfect!. The Springstep Dairy & farm is new to us, will be visiting that asap. Mrs. P has picked Little Scarlet strawberries in past years.

pompa Thu 18-Aug-11 19:48:10

Shysal, no we have not seen it yet, we were away, but have recorded it. Must check it out asap.

shysal Thu 18-Aug-11 19:24:42

pompa - did you see this week's Countrywise Kitchen on ITV ? It came from Essex and briefly featured Wilkins jam. I expect you will recognise most of the venues on the show.

pompa Wed 10-Aug-11 20:22:00

FYI, the result of the exhibition questionnaire was 98% in favour 2% against. Th facebook page had over 5000 in favour and an independent petition in the village has over 3000 in favour so far.

Stansgran Thu 04-Aug-11 17:37:34

Bought a glossy mag. in France on Saturday and guess what- an elegant table setting for eating al fresco in a glorious garden and Tiptree marmalade not Bonne Maman!in pride of place-wasn't an ad.

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 14:35:55

On the lid of the jar of jam we're on at the moment says Tiptree Essex. Wilkin & sons Ltd.

On the label it says St Peters Church Divine Damson jam.

Gorgeous jam and a nice joke too. grin

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 19:32:30

pompa, I think the exhibition would be lovely - especially if you get free tasters. grin

I really didn't mean to cause any trouble for anyone. I didn't click on the report button.

Not sure if Gransnet HQ are very good at spotting a joke. sad

And I'm 69, not 10. I'm not going to be told off by anyone - except other Gransnetters when I deserve it. winkgrin

Hope it all goes well for your village pomps.

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 19:13:16

Don't lets make too much of the deleted second post, I accept that it was outside the rules, and it would have created a precedent if it were not deleted.
I have met the person that posted and also posts on their facebook site, he is NOT a advertising/marketing guy, he is a jam maker to the core and passionate about keeping the company in Tiptree, I don't think he was intentionally trying to break any rules. He said to me "If we fail to stay in Tiptree, we will have failed the employees and the people of Tiptree" I think that sums up his feelings.

Jangly, I realise that your original comment was light hearted, I don't think it was why the Tiptree posts were deleted.
I am not sure why the first post was deleted, I thought it just answered questions asked by Gransnetters in a factual way.

If anyone wants to see the various options, go to their web site or facebook page, or better still, get along to their exhibition which runs until Friday.

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 17:55:45

For God's sake Geraldine - I was having a larf! Slap my wrists why don't you. I really don't give a flying you-know-what if they pay for their advertising or not. Why the hell should I?!

crimson Wed 20-Jul-11 17:03:57

I can't remember exactly what the company said in the first post and I'm not sure that I saw the second, but I assume the first one referred to questions raised by us in previous posts, especially my accusation [not actually aimed at the company themselves but at other 'interested parties'] that maybe someone wanted the company to move elsewhere [even to another country to provide more employment there] or be closed down so as not to be competition to another manufacturer. Maybe the second post [which I didn't see] was advertising, but I had wanted to purchase the jam and found it unavailable in my local supermarket. I do understand that it was against the rules of Gransnet, but feel aggrieved that it was pointed out by someone who didn't seem at all interested in the potential loss of employment in the area [an issue close to my heart due to Terrys,Cadburys and now Bombardier]. In this country we so need employers that care about the welfare of their workers and they deserve all the support we can give them.

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 16:55:29

Exactly Baggy, although one wonders at times.

Baggy Wed 20-Jul-11 16:54:17

pompa, remind your councillors and council officers that they are the servants of the people, not the masters.

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 16:43:37

Jangly, thanks for that, shame about the belly !!!. Blame the Tiptree cream teas for that (other cream teas are available) smile

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:12:54

This is all fascinating stuff - and, jangly, we do think Tiptree is entitled to put its point of view, given that this thread was started and continued by gransnetters - though I agree, it is turning out to be rather a nice little promotion for the company (that's why we deleted one post, which seemed to be promoting a bit too enthusiastically.)

But I don't think they can help that.

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 12:12:49

You've got a kind face pomps

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 08:37:41

Got the tee shirt pic added to my photos.