Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Too many sweets!

(4 Posts)
dahlia Sun 08-May-11 18:39:26

I love my daughter-in-law dearly, and hate to sound critical, but she allows her four daughters access to sweets at all times. The three older girls are all overweight, and one has been referred to a dietitian, but there still seems to be little control over the snacking and sweets. I worry about the future with regards to diabetes, etc. and would welcome any helpful comments from other grandparents who may have had this problem. I stress that none of us is a slim Jim, nor are any of us obsessed with shape/diet. My daughter-in-law is slim but not overly so, and although we are on good terms she is naturally defensive as what she would perceive as criticism.
Thanks to all of you for reading this.

hairfullofsnakes Sun 08-May-11 19:59:21

gosh, it must be so hard to sit back and watch that - could you have a conversation with her about sweets in general and ask if the girls are worried about their sweet intake rather than directly saying something about the fact she gives them access to sweets all the time iyswim?

sorry i can't offer much advice but you sound very thoughtful and i hope you find a solution x

babyjack Mon 09-May-11 22:29:17

Very difficult, if one child has been to a dietician then you dil must be hearing about the value of a healthy diet and if she takes no notice of a professional then she will probably not listen to you either.

I would ask how she got on at the dietician and if there is anything she needs you to do at your home regarding food for the children.

Food is a very touchy subject for parents and I would stay well out and hope that the school, dietician will challenge her on it. Lead by example at your house and do healthy tasty food. Sadly being overweight is not unusual for children these days, but you are right to worry about the long term effects. Good Luck, this is a difficult one.

hanneke Tue 10-May-11 06:45:50

Perhaps you can sign the children up for dance or swimming classes, or some other physical activity, to help them burn off the excess sugar?