Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Granny in waiting

(17 Posts)
harrigran Fri 02-Sep-11 17:36:11

Congratulations annemac101 enjoy ! smile

Libradi Fri 02-Sep-11 09:49:29

Michelle my granddaughter is five now and my daughter is expecting another little girl at the end of November. This time around the time has gone very quickly, she finishes work in two weeks so I expect we will spend time sorting out clothes for the new baby etc. We've already brought down loads of things from the attic and washed, she had so much clothes for our 1st granddaughter she hardly needs to buy anything this time.

When my daughter was expecting 5 years ago, I spent a lot of time looking out for 2nd hand things to keep here as I looked after her for 3 days a week when my daughter went back to work part time. This time I've got to sort out my granddaughter's toys etc. to make space for the new baby things as I will have her a couple days a week. Bit of an age gap so will have to have a good sort out.

Exciting times ahead for you and also for you coastwalker. annemac Congratulations, there is nothing like being a granny!

Baggy Fri 02-Sep-11 06:30:17

Annemac, yay! smile Exciting times!

glassortwo Thu 01-Sep-11 23:26:53

Congratulations annemac101 enjoy every minute of it.wine wine

Faye Thu 01-Sep-11 23:17:34

Congratulations annemac on the birth of your new granddaughter. It is very special to become a grandmother!!!

Annobel Thu 01-Sep-11 23:07:51

Congratulations, new gran annemac. You will have so much joy and loads of cuddles. wine Cheers!

annemac101 Thu 01-Sep-11 23:00:05

I became a new gran just yesterday to a little granddaughter.Its the daughter of my son and his partener she was 10 days late and yesterday was the longest day of my life.I'm going to love being a gran,she is gorgeous!

HildaW Fri 01-Jul-11 19:19:36

T think the best way I found was to concentrate on the Mum to be....my daughter, so it is easy. I was not as available as I would have liked to be first time around (was a full time carer then) but now I offer an ear for when she needs to have a bit of a winge, provide space for her to have a chill by looking after GS and generally take my lead from what she wants. I try not to focus on the outcome (hate tempting fate) I am just focusing on being a Mum.

pinkprincess Thu 30-Jun-11 19:10:14

My oldest grandchild is 19 now.I was working nightshift on the day she was born.I had just come in from work when my son rang to tell us we had a grandaughter and all was well.She's at university now and has just been to Glastonbury.
I remember when the third one was born it was a really anxious time.She was a premature baby weighing two and a half pounds and we nearly lost her.She is now a very healthy and stroppy fifteen year old.
Enjoy your new grandchild I know you will.

supermum48 Thu 30-Jun-11 18:54:19

My first grandchild is nearly 4, but the last couple of weeks before she was born I was like a 'cat on hot bricks'. As my daughter lived 4 hours away I felt completely helpless and didn't know what to do with myself. Now my grandaughter is here and gorgeous. She has added so much to our lives, and the good news is my second grandaughter is due in August. No doubt I will be a nightmare again when the time gets near, but I can't wait for a cuddle!

Michelle Thu 19-May-11 23:55:29

Absolutly no guilt. ! we each have our own way to prepare , and mine is stiching the baby’s growth into a picture. I love the idea of spending time together in that last month. I thought we could go swimming, and sort all the baby clothes he ( yes we know) has got from wonderful pass-it -on friends .
Organise a baby shower, that’s a good idea too.
I went to the hospital for the 28 wek scan , and was amazed at hearing his heart beat, and seeing his legs and arms, We never had that either in our day .
So thanks all you Grans fo the advice.
M

coastwallker Thu 19-May-11 06:29:52

I'm expecting my first in 4 weeks!
My daughter has had a dreadful pregnancy with sickness all the way and SPD (why didn't we have SPD by the way?). Now she has two days to go until she finishes work and is exhausted.
Unfortunately she lives to far away for a day visit, so I will have to go and stay and she has asked me to go for a week after her OH goes back to work. I'm going to stay in a B&B to give them some space (and avoid the night waking!)
We have known for a long while that it is a boy so I have been knitting blue like mad

harrigran Wed 18-May-11 21:54:21

yaya don't feel guilty about not making clothes etc, the most precious gift you can give your grandchild is your time.

GrannyTunnocks Wed 18-May-11 21:39:39

My first granddaughter is now 9 but I remember the waiting. My daughter lived abroad, still does and had 2 misscarriages previously so I was a bit on tenderhooks. However she arrived 2 weeks late and I did not see her till she was 4 weeks old. The wait was terrible but worth it. Now I have 4 grandchildren and could not imagine life without them. So good luck michelle when the time comes.

yaya Wed 18-May-11 20:16:17

Hi Michelle, how exciting, 2 months to go!

My first grandson was born at the end of November and the days and weeks before the birth seemed to go on forever. My daughter worked up until she was 8 months pregnant but when she started her maternity leave we spent a lot of time together. We had some great days out, it was really a special time. I also organised a baby shower and we had a lovely evening celebrating with all our friends.

I have got to say I am very envious that you are making a cot quilt, and Mollie, you knitted some jumpers!
I am not at all 'crafty' and feel slightly guilty that I have made nothing!

mollie Wed 18-May-11 14:18:30

Hi Michelle
My first (only) grandchild arrived in January and I think I held my breath all the way through the pregnancy!!! She is an unexpected delight and I was silently worried that things might go wrong...but she's here and although it's not been all plain sailing for her mum, I can't imagine our lives without her now!

In the last couple of months I learned to knit and made a few jumpers - we didn't know what sex to expect which was both frustrating from the knitting point of view and lovely as it added to the excitement of B-day... when I heard she had arrived I cried with pleasure and then had to wait to be invited to visit but I was her first visitor and didn't have to wait more than a few hours! It's an exciting time and soooo different from when you are the expectant parent! Enjoy the time ... life will never be the same again!!! grin

Michelle Wed 18-May-11 12:03:29

Another 2 months to go , and I am gradually getting into the idea . But I wonder what you all did to manage this waiting game ? I am making a cot quilt ,trying not to worry, being as supportive as I can etc . Any bright ideas to help me enjoy the time between now and B.day ?