Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Elb syndrome

(6 Posts)
JessM Thu 16-Jun-11 19:21:28

Come back and talk to us CarloynR.

aajoes Thu 16-Jun-11 16:55:44

Hi CarloynR

just wondered how things are and if there's any news? It is such a worry but hopefully things may be clearer now?

Best wishes

JessM Tue 24-May-11 18:07:43

That doesn't go away when your kids grow up does it. Oh for the days when we could!

CarolynR Mon 23-May-11 21:18:24

Thank-you
It was good of you to reply i'm sitting here by myself wanting to make it all better

JessM Mon 23-May-11 17:55:14

Oh that is distressing and worrying for you all. My granddaughter also had a horrendous arrival and had a massive swollen bruise on her poor head as a result of a failed vacuum delivery. That then caused really bad jaundice. Glad to say she fully recovered.

My young cousin had meningitis when she was just 3 years old that left her with, at the time, quite a lot of paralysis on her right side. She is now a healthy mother of 2. Still got a slight weakness on that side but you'd never notice. The most difficult thing for her was probably having to write with her left hand as she was naturally right handed. Remind yourself babies and small children are very resilient and their powers of recovery are fantastic.

I hope that she will be alright. If you are in any doubt then try to make sure she gets referred to a really good hospital. Somewhere with a big paediatric team. The average small hospital has one team to deal with nearly all problems between 1 week and 16 years.

In the meantime all the best with supporting the worried parents.

CarolynR Mon 23-May-11 13:39:23

Hi everyone my new granddaughter has nerve damage due to a difficult birth her left arm has been affected and has very little strength we are waiting for the swelling to go down to see the extent of the damage has anyone out there experience of this any advice or support would be welcome