Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What to call grandparents?

(5 Posts)
jackyann Wed 25-May-11 18:18:22

There has been another discussion about this (I began it for similar reasons) and someone said that it is nice to think about your own (great) grandparents & use the name of one who meant a lot to you.
What is interesting is what we like / hate (see post above) I cannot imagine being a "grand" anything - if my suggestion of simply using my given name is not accepted (I think it won't be!) then I shall have to be nanny or nana.
In my part of the world all the men are grampy/gramps - you will so often hear a tale beginning "the old gramp allus said...."

harrigran Wed 25-May-11 17:06:48

we are Grandma and Granda because I too hated the thought of Nanna. DIL's parents are Granny and Grandpa but Granddaughters call him Pawpaw and the sweet man that he is, does not seem to mind.

maxgran Wed 25-May-11 16:15:32

We are Granny and Grandad. I would have hated to be called Nanna or Nanny,.. so I am glad my children agreed !

tjspompa Tue 24-May-11 20:33:40

Try researching back through your own GP/GGP/GGGP and see if there are any family traditions. I am known as Pompa, this has been used in my paternal family for several generations.

SalJB Tue 24-May-11 19:25:18

I will be a new gran soon. What are the options for names? - I like Grandma, my husband like Gramps but we have the inlaws to consider too... and Grandma and Gramps sounds very odd!