Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Hello to all first time grans, please join us here

(57 Posts)
Angelwispa Thu 02-Jun-11 11:15:05

Hi everyone, just following on from a previous thread it was suggested that first time grans might like a thread to announce their new arrivals and to talk about being a first time gran. Many of us on here have spoken about our 'fears' and how we may be a little nervous about our new role, so here is the opportunity to make new friends and to express how you are feeling.

I'm a first time gran, my new grandson was born on the 24th of May and he surprised us all by being a boy as the unreliable scan told us that HE was a GIRL! confused

It would be lovely to hear your experiences of being a first time gran.

coastwallker Thu 02-Jun-11 17:25:23

Hi all.
Angelwishpa beat me by a couple of days. My first, Samuel William David weighed in last Friday (27th) at 5lb 14oz. He was 3 and a half weeks early and if definitely an early baby, very sleepy and fragile. But all is well.
I am going to stay next week to help out as my daughter's other half has to go back to work.
One thing that suprised me is that H is expressing milk and feeding him with a bottle. The midwives reckon that when Sam is a bit stronger he will pick up breastfeeding well. That was certainly not done in our day, was it? It was either breast or bottle but this seems like a very sensible third way.

Angelwispa Thu 02-Jun-11 17:45:53

Congratulations coastwallker on the birth of little Samuel he sounds a little cutie. My grandson still hasn't a name yet, I think we may have to resort to putting names into a hat before long! grin).

My daughter is also breastfeeding and has also expressed milk and fed him by bottle, this allows Daddy to help out too! I know what you mean though, I breastfed all of mine and it was definitely breast or bottle, the midwife said that they didn't want the baby to be confused ??!!

So many things seem to have changed nowadays, they even encourage you to delay putting the baby into the bath as long as possible after the birth so that the natural body cream can soak into the babys skin; it used to be that the baby was washed straight away, how times have changed!! grin)

sj Thu 02-Jun-11 23:29:40

hi

my first granson was born at the weekend, and is beautiful.

I have had a couple of days helping out the new parents and the experience has been priceless.

Mummy is struggling with baby crying in the night, and not being able to settle him. Shes trying everything recommended, hope she has a better night tonight.

She is breastfeeding and seems to be getting used to it, althought she is struggling with nipples being very sore.

Have been head cook, and bottle washer and taxi for the last two days, but its been worth every moment.

Love the little one to bits its priceless.

Angelwispa Mon 06-Jun-11 15:41:16

Hi sj congratulations on the birth of your new grandson, and lots of hugs to the little one smile

It's seems like all the new grandbabies have been little boys so far. Anyone expecting a little grand daughter or just had a new grand daughter addition to the family?

sj I'm sure your daughter will get to grips with the breast feeding very soon, my daughter is also breast feeding, it's nice to see this coming back into 'fashion' so to speak.

I know that there used to be a spray called rotasept (i think that's how it's spelt) for using on the nipple to help to stop the cracking etc, there may be another product out there nowadays, it might be an idea to 'google' for a product, as I know that this product helped me at the time. Perhaps some other grans are aware of a product that might help?

Heather Mon 06-Jun-11 18:25:22

try the old cabbage leaf (cooled in the fridge first) in her bra - also for the first pains of mastitis. It really does work.

sj Fri 10-Jun-11 21:55:13

Hi

The rememedy which seems to work is hot flannels whilst having a soak in the bath, both mummy and baby are doing really well. Little one is putting on weight and he is just an angel. Sleeping a little better now and mum is feeling loads better in herself.

Lovely to here all your stories

any other new grans out there

sj

grannieannie41 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:49:27

my first grandson was born on Saturday after 3 days of labour. Mum- my daughter lost 1 1/2 litres of blood and needed minor op - having transfusions. My gorgeous little grandson seems fine but really hasn't started feeding and is very sleepy.

I didn't realise having a grandchild would be so hard- you want to do it for them and are so in background -

I suppose I am a control freak and find leaving to them so hard

twizzle Mon 20-Jun-11 12:36:59

Congratulations grannieannie41 on the birth of your first grandson.
smile

harrigran Mon 20-Jun-11 16:30:15

Congratulations grannieannie41 smile

enyl Tue 21-Jun-11 10:25:55

So pleased I have joined the Grandma gang! Our first grandchild, Theo,was born last night. My daughter was so pleased that she achieved her wish of a successful home birth. She did so well and now has her wonderful son to enjoy.

harrigran Tue 21-Jun-11 12:02:13

Congratulations enyl, welcome to a new and exciting life smile

glassortwo Tue 21-Jun-11 12:08:03

Congratulations to all you first time Grandmas. smile

Angelwispa Tue 21-Jun-11 15:56:55

Congratulations to the new Grandmas' and of course the new parents.
Grannieanni41 I do hope that your daughter get's better very soon, it sounds like she had a tough time of it, bless her, sending lots thoughts to her.

cangran Tue 21-Jun-11 18:55:13

My first grandchild was born in March. What a lovely warm glow of love I felt for him (just like with my own babies) the first time I saw him. Watching him develop is very exciting and has lead to a closer relationship with my daughter (who had a v. difficult birth) as she was always a busy career woman before. It's fun watching her adapt so well to the demands of motherhood.

sj Tue 21-Jun-11 19:33:38

hi congratulations to all the new grandmas, where are you all based, its so good to share experiences.

im having a good one at the min trying to remove a isofix base from my car, 2 hours later and its still in place. i must be doing something wrong lol

sj

sj Sun 26-Jun-11 20:30:40

Hi Newbie Nannars, Grannies, Mama's and Grandmas

Well little one is now a month old and growing fast, the month has flown. Talk about blink and you miss it.

Have done my first stint babysitting without too many problems lol.

How are you all doing,

love

sj

coastwallker Mon 27-Jun-11 06:45:46

We had a day with our little man on Friday which was lovely even though he was miserable. He seems to be in a state where he can only take in so much milk but that amount only lasts a couple of hours before he is hungry again. But it will pass and his stomach will grow!
He met his grandad for the first time and his uncle (after whom he is named) so that was lovely. And grandad and I looked after Sam for half an hour while his mum and dad went to pick up our older daughter from work. A nice day all round. I just wish they lived nearer so we could do it more often.

sj Wed 13-Jul-11 20:26:42

Hi

hows everyone doing, we are at 6 weeks now, and is very grizzly most of the time, constipation hasnt helped. either lol

still trying to breastfeed although not sure how much longer she will manage it,

things are slowly settling down and im on duty babysitting over the weekend so will see if i have any more success this time.,

hope you are all keeping well and your young grandsons or grandaughters are thriving.

sj

Grannyham Fri 15-Jul-11 13:08:21

Hi my daughter gave birth to our Grandson on 6/7 after a couple of days of labour phew what a relief, he weighed in at 7lbs 8ozs. She suffered from sickness the whole way through her pregnancy and at 12wks she had her gall bladder out, so you can imagine how releived we all were when he arrived. They seem to be doing fine, the one thing i am a more than a little disappointed with is that she has chosen to express her milk plus formula, rather than breastfeed. I have been told by both her and her sister that i shouldn't interfere. I know they are right but i just can't help thinking that she didn't give him a chance, she decided after only 4 days! I didn't think i would be like this i suppose it is because i enjoyed breastfeeding so much and i am worried that she may regret it!

coastwallker Fri 15-Jul-11 22:17:08

Mine is doing that too Grannyham but it seems to work and at least the baby is getting her milk some of the time.
It sounds like a traumatic pregnancy with a happy outcome though. What is he called?

mollie Sat 16-Jul-11 18:06:39

My grandaughter arrived in January so is now just six months old. I cried when I heard the news my DIL was pregnant as I didn't think I'd ever be a grandma and as the big event approached I was nervous about what my 'role' would be...but it's been a wonderful experience and she is such a beautiful, happy, content, inquisitive baby, a joy to know. Her mum hasn't had it easy since January but I've been on hand to help out as much as they needed me and that has meant I've got to know my granddaughter very well...I'm looking forward to the years to come, to sharing silly things with her, reading stories and playing games etc. I hope we'll be close - my son was/is close to my parents although I barely knew my own grandparents unfortunately. Becoming a grandparent has been a joyful experience and I can't thank my son and DIL enough.

grannieannie41 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:11:08

thanks for all those congrats. A month has past and baby Rafi is strong and feeding well and also sleeping. My daughter is a fantastic mum. I am very lucky

syberia Wed 20-Jul-11 17:21:40

just found out today that I will be a first-time grandma in the Spring. Words can't describe.......

minniemouse Thu 21-Jul-11 00:04:37

I am a first time granny too, my beautiful grandson was born in February, 4 weeks early. My lovely daughter had a difficult pregnancy and a traumatic birth, but I was there throughout, and wouldn't have had it any other way. Little one is thriving now and is the most content baby I have ever known, and my daughter is a natural mum. I feel blessed.