Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Hello to all first time grans, please join us here

(58 Posts)
Angelwispa Thu 02-Jun-11 11:15:05

Hi everyone, just following on from a previous thread it was suggested that first time grans might like a thread to announce their new arrivals and to talk about being a first time gran. Many of us on here have spoken about our 'fears' and how we may be a little nervous about our new role, so here is the opportunity to make new friends and to express how you are feeling.

I'm a first time gran, my new grandson was born on the 24th of May and he surprised us all by being a boy as the unreliable scan told us that HE was a GIRL! confused

It would be lovely to hear your experiences of being a first time gran.

SalJB Fri 21-Oct-11 14:14:38

I'm a first time grannie. My daughter gave birth to Mia on Sunday 16th Oct 2011 (5 days ago). I've seen her in hospital and am going to have my first cuddle on Sunday - so exciting! Feel a bit nervous though, as the last time I held a new baby was 33 years ago!

em Fri 21-Oct-11 20:34:10

Welcome SalJB. It sounds as if you were just waiting for Mia's arrival so you could immediately join GN! Congratulations - and hoping you'll spend many happy times both with baby and with GN too.

SalJB Fri 04-Nov-11 11:57:00

Good for you - what a great attitude. My son-in-law's mother seems quite anxious that I will get more time with my new granddaughter than she will. It's not a competition! There's room for everyone and ultimately it's up to the couple themselves.

Carol Fri 04-Nov-11 12:31:30

Welcome SalJB. Can't wait to hear what your views are about all the issues we have been debating on here thanks

chrissied Fri 11-Nov-11 21:23:35

my lovely unplanned grandson arrived in March. throughout the pregnancy I was totally underwhelmed by it, and started to think I was some kind of freak for not being excited. however I was invited to the later scans by my sons partner, and as she got closer to the date accompanied her to her ante natal checks (her own parents are deceased and she has no relatives nearby)
she had a really difficult birth and baby was in special care for 2 1/2 weeks, which was a worrying and exhausting time for us all, but also an opportunity to get to know each other better. fast forward 8 months to an absolutely ecstatic grandma of a beautiful, healthy cheeky boy. I simply cant get enough of him, I'm overwhelmed by the love I have for him, its like a drug. Does it wear off?

MercyLily Sat 12-Nov-11 20:41:55

Hi all! Another first time gran here! My lovely Lilly-Grace was born on 5th Oct. I was honoured to spend the whole labour with my daughter and her partner. What a day! DD was brilliant, no fuss, just got on with it! She needed help in the end, Ventouse did the trick and then we had our Lil weighing in at 7lb 6oz. I love her so much I could burst blush

nanapug Sat 12-Nov-11 21:11:42

No chrissied it certainly doesn't wear off!!. When I had my first grandchild seven years ago, it dawned on me that you "love" your children, but you are "in love" with your grand children. I have recently been presented with my fourth grandchild and I still feel the same. It's an amazing feeling isn't it? x